Do you think Holcomb is our QB of the future?

Pyrite Gal

Is KH the Bills QB of the future?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Is KH the Bills QB of the future?

• Yes
    • No

There is another thread which actually has produced some interesting analysis (amidst the usaul sophmoric attacks by some folks who seem to have insecurities probably linked to some deficiency they feel they have about a part of their body) of the JP/KH issue.

I think folks can have legitimate disputes about an assessment of their play ability and all fans are actually quite free to have silly opinions about who they like more as a person (though these fact-free opinions are generally formed without having ever met the guy and only having seen him on TV).

I think the good news is that it looks like this dispute will be setled on the field as to which one is a better performer for reaching the Bills goals rather than the Bills making the same foolish mistakes of:

1. Assuming Kelly would last longer than he did before forced into retirement.

2. After failing to draft a replacement for Jimbo a year (or two) too late they over-reached to draft TC in the 2nd round and then rushed him to start when he needed a year or more of training to get rid of his happy-feet (if it ever could be trained out of him).

3. The braintrust then overspent on Billy Joe Idiot.

4. Finally, they made a good move that the rest of the NFL passed on and believed Flutie could play NFL ball, but then the panic caused them to pau the market rate for RJ, but they stupidly gave him the job without on-field competition.

I ask this question not to rehash the is KH better than JP dispute because I think it is clear from their performances on the field last year that KH is a better QB than the young JP.

However, I think the key to this decision is the one of what is an attainable goal for the Bills.

I hope like heck we make the playoffs this year but think even that will be a tough goal.

Though I think KH is a better QB right now and likely will be a better QB at the beginning of the season, I would start JP as long as he is passable and can allow us to compete at least while he learns.

If I thought Holcomb could lead us to 11 wins and we make the playoffs in 06 I start him,

However, I think he likely at best leads us to 9 wins and we miss the playoffs. Because I do not see KH as our QB of the future, nut MAYBE (just maybe) JP might be I am happy to see him start if he can get us to 7 or 8 wins and we miss the playoffs same as if KH starts.

The two questions I think for folks who want KH to start is why do they serious believe he can lead us to the 10 (or maybe 11 in a tough conference) Ws we need to make the playoffs in 06 or do they actually see KH and the Bills QB of the future.

I think neither is true but in the end this should be decided on the field of play.

The unfair, but reality of the situation is that I then judge their on field play as the ability to get 7 or 8 Ws but learn the pro game is enough for me to start JP as long as I feel he is learning. While I only start Holcomb if I feel he has a good shot at leading this team to the playoffs and the 19 or 11 Ws that will make this happen,

Marv says the mantra is win now and I believe him, but my sense is that what he means by winning is improve on last year's mediocre total and that if the goal is playoffs or failure then quite likey he will fail this year.

Lionheart?

609412[/snapback]

It's the long awaited sequel to Braveheart.

I think a more appropriate poll would have been, "Knowing that Holcomb is not the QB of the future, should the Bills just hand the starting job to JP and give him a year to grow into or out of the position?"

Why would you start Holcomb if you don't think he is our future? I know that it is important for JP to earn the respect of his teammates but we won't know if JP can do it until we give him a chance on the field. BY chance I don't mean start him for 1 or 2 games, or pull him after 2 and a half quarters of the second game.

I don't think he's our QB of the PRESENT let alone future.  I really like him as a #2, though.

609538[/snapback]

Yeah. You nailed it, he's a good reliable back up and were lucky to have him on the team. As far as a starter or the future, he's a lot closer to retirement than franchise material.

Whats stinks is that a lot of posters drag his name through the mud to make the point he shouldn't be a starter, making him sound awful when hes not.