Rams Fans think they are getting Ngata

Stl Bills

Last night I was at a Bar enjoying a few bud lights and throwing some darts when I overheard these guys next to me talking about "some bad ass DT from Oregon" who the Rams will be drafting in April. I then told them that I was a Bills fan and there is a strong chance that we will be taking Ngata at #8. They acted like I was crazy. Then on my way home today, they bring in some draft expert on the local radio and all this guy talks about is landing Ngata with the Rams #11 pick, not once did he bring up the possibility of him not being there. Yeah I know its early and this pick is not set in stone by any means, but these idiots around here need to do some research. That might not be a bad trading partner though (if Marv and Co. decide to trade down), might be able to pick up another second round pick and still land someone like Huff, Davis, or Hali in the first.

Thinking about it  if there is one team that stands in our way of getting ngata it's the 49ers.  Yes their offense is bad, however  the first rule of 3-4 defense is having a dt who can anchor their line.  Ngata fits the mold of a 3-4 dt who could do just that.

609190[/snapback]

i agree, i think the only way ngata gets past the niners is if they feel they need more help in their horrible secondary and draft huff, but i'd say thats like a 10% chance, or possibly if one of the big 4 drops, and i dont think that will happen either. Maybe they can somehow convince a DT to come play for them in free agency, i can only hope.

Just what the Rams need, another first round defensive tackle.

609183[/snapback]

Well two of their current three are due to be UFAs, and I for one wouldn't mind landing Pickett, so it makes some sense they take Ngata. That said we now have their former D-line coach on our staff....

That might not be a bad trading partner though (if Marv and Co. decide to trade down), might be able to pick up another second round pick and still land someone like Huff, Davis, or Hali in the first.

609151[/snapback]

I like the way you are thinking here.

The Bills own the 8th pick of an NFL draft. If a team wants to move as few as 3 spots, a 2nd is the least that I would want to accept. Hey, we got a 2nd in 01 for moving from 14th to 21st.

Honestly, I would feel great if they gave us a 2nd and a 5th. Another team should be hoodwinked the way we were in 04. :D

The Bills own the 8th pick of an NFL draft. If a team wants to move as few as 3 spots, a 2nd is the least that I would want to accept. Hey, we got a 2nd in 01 for moving from 14th to 21st.

Honestly, I would feel great if they gave us a 2nd and a 5th. Another team should be hoodwinked the way we were in 04.  :D

609292[/snapback]

Well, if we go by past history and all, maybe we can get a deal like this for our #8 pick...

I am hoping we get ngata....fortunately (or unfortunately) we have other needs as well. If he is gone we'll still get a good player. I could see Huff as a nice pick, we'll need safety help in another year. Or Mario williams or Vernon Davis (TE) or AJ Hawk. No matter who goes before us, we should get an impact player to lock down his position for the next 5 years. #8 is a great spot to pick....top players but miss out on the top $$ of the top 5 picks.

I am hoping we get ngata....fortunately (or unfortunately) we have other needs as well.  If he is gone we'll still get a good player.  I could see Huff as a nice pick, we'll need safety help in another year.  Or Mario williams or Vernon Davis (TE) or AJ Hawk.  No matter who goes before us, we should get an impact player to lock down his position for the next 5 years.  #8 is a great spot to pick....top players but miss out on the top $$ of the top 5 picks.

I agree. I really see only 7 "top" players (Bush, Leinart, Young, Williams, Ferguson, Hawk, and Ngata), and Cutler's rise only helps push one of them down to the Bills.

I still wish the Bills could trade up to get a guy like Williams, but that seems impossible.

Honestly, I would feel great if they gave us a 2nd and a 5th. Another team should be hoodwinked the way we were in 04.  :D

609292[/snapback]

What goes around comes around! :D

QUOTE(Alaska Darin @ Feb 22 2006, 10:53 PM)

Just what the Rams need, another first round defensive tackle.

Well two of their current three are due to be UFAs, and I for one wouldn't mind landing Pickett, so it makes some sense they take Ngata. That said we now have their former D-line coach on our staff....

I didn't realize that connection, Jokeman! Great point. Bill Kollar, our new D-Line coach, coached Pickett, so he'd know what he has in relation to Ngata. Pickett has had 4 healthy years, would be entering his 6th year in the league, has worked as a nose guard but has the weight and speed to be a penetrator as well as a "block-u-pyer". Would make sense. We'll see in March of Kollar's respect for Pickett.

I agree.  I really see only 7 "top" players (Bush, Leinart, Young, Williams, Ferguson, Hawk, and Ngata), and Cutler's rise only helps push one of them down to the Bills.

I still wish the Bills could trade up to get a guy like Williams, but that seems impossible.

609360[/snapback]

We have needs at too many positions for us to give away picks and other resources to get one player who if he is like other first round picks is 50/50 tp evem contribute to this team in his first year.

Even in middling cases of 1st year contribution there is the strong possibility that he plays in his first year like Mike Williams but is a bust for us overall in particular due to the large cap hit a first round pick is slotted to get.

In the worst cases one trades up for someone who pulls a Ryan Leaf (concensus great product by most observers who does nothing) or you trade away your entire draft to move up and take (sshhhuuudddeeer) Rickey Williams.

Trading down by far seems the better strategy for building a team.

We have needs at too many positions for us to give away picks and other resources to get one player who if he is like other first round picks is 50/50 tp evem contribute to this team in his first year.

Even in middling cases of 1st year contribution there is the strong possibility that he plays in his first year like Mike Williams but is a bust for us overall in particular due to the large cap hit a first round pick is slotted to get.

In the worst cases one trades up for someone who pulls a Ryan Leaf (concensus great product by most observers who does nothing) or you trade away your entire draft to move up and take (sshhhuuudddeeer) Rickey Williams.

Trading down by far seems the better strategy for building a team.

Depends on what they can get in FA. My post on who they should get rid of to creat $30M in cap space includes 11 players, with the Bills signing 5 players, leaving a net loss of 6. And my idea of trading up for Williams involves giving up their 8th and their 2-3rd rounders, which would still leave them with 6 draft picks, maybe even 7 if they get a comp pick.

I agree.  I really see only 7 "top" players (Bush, Leinart, Young, Williams, Ferguson, Hawk, and Ngata), and Cutler's rise only helps push one of them down to the Bills.

609360[/snapback]

The good news is the guys with a lot of hype around them (Cutler, DeAngelo Williams, Lendale White) are surging up the draft boards...give it a month and Ngata could easily drop into our laps. Plus since we dont need any of those 3 guys, it also helps our chances at getting a trade down if thats the route Marv wants to take. Maybe even another unexpected surprise could happen, you never really know with the Draft.