Anyone watch Minnesota - of the Big 10?

LaDairis

I must say I really cannot believe the guru rankings on this kid. Granted, Minnesota did not have a great defense, but really, Anthony Montgomery is definitely someone who can come in and start right away and hold up to double teams and disrupt.

http://www.thefootballgenius.com/draft/tfg...Montgomery.html

While Ngata is one of the options at the top, if this Draft is going to let Anthony Montgomery fall to the second day, then perhaps the Bills ought to skip Ngata and grab Montgomery later. Ngata has a surgery on his resume. If D'Brick is gone, trade down...

We need a clogger, not a penetrator.  Which is he?

608494[/snapback]

Both.

Anthony got double teamed most of every game last year, in part because he was the only serious DL on Minn. I first noticed him tearing apart the interior Bama OL in a 2004 bowl game. Double teams do not move him. Single team him and he will penetrate or collapse the pocket.

We need a clogger, not a penetrator.  Which is he?

608494[/snapback]

I am not sure about that, I think we are going to play the Tampa Two or some other version of a two deep zone. That kind of D needs penetrators like Sapp, not cloggers.

I must say I really cannot believe the guru rankings on this kid.  Granted, Minnesota did not have a great defense, but really, Anthony Montgomery is definitely someone who can come in and start right away and hold up to double teams and disrupt. 

http://www.thefootballgenius.com/draft/tfg...Montgomery.html

While Ngata is one of the options at the top, if this Draft is going to let Anthony Montgomery fall to the second day, then perhaps the Bills ought to skip Ngata and grab Montgomery later.  Ngata has a surgery on his resume.  If D'Brick is gone, trade down...

608488[/snapback]

Although you could be right, Minnesota's defense was below average 2005 in the big ten. If you were to tell me that Lawrence Maroney is going to be a player, I would agree with you.

Although you could be right, Minnesota's defense was below average 2005 in the big ten.  If you were to tell me that Lawrence Maroney is going to be a player, I would agree with you.

608529[/snapback]

Maroney will be a very good back if he stays healthy, which he did not last year. In fact, it became quite clear that it really did not matter which Gopher back was in there, as three different backs got 100 yard games. The Minnesota OL, especially the OLG and C, was tops.

Good players can be hidden on bad defenses, especially if the other team can just double team that player the entire game.

I am not sure about that, I think we are going to play the Tampa Two or some other version of a two deep zone.  That kind of D needs penetrators like Sapp, not cloggers.

608525[/snapback]

That is correct. Ngata can be a clogger and a penetrator that´s why I think he would not only fill a big need but he´s a versatile player.

I wouldn´t mind drafting this kid Montgomery if he´s available.

From CDS:

Anthony Montgomery DT Minnesota

Class 2006

Height 6.0

Weight 305

Speed 5.1 (Unofficial)

Position DT

Stats

25 solos, 20 assists for 45 total tackles. - 6 TFLs, 3 sacks.

Anthony is a solid interior plugger for the Gophers who demands a double team. A pure nose tackle, Montgomery excelled as a 1 gap and 2 gap defensive player. He has been a consistent player, as he had 9 TFLs last year. A sleeper prospect at this point who the scouts know about, his stock will rise come combine time. His athletic ability to sideswipe guards will impress NFL teams. On film, he looked pretty good, but needed to up his stats a little. Still, a lunch-pail guy who will be good in the pros because their won't be a lot of pressure on him to come in an perform early. A solid guy who could be a day 1 player if he works out well.

If he is going to the combine and is as good as you think he is, his stock will certainly rise.  As I have programed a season pass for the combine on my Tivo, I look forward to watching him.

608605[/snapback]

The link cites the Ohio State game, and the gurus seem to be pretty much settled that Mangold and Sims are quality players. I'd like to hear what you think of that game.

According to that link and the lists I've seen, Anthony is NOT invited to the combine, and that is part of the point. The NFL seems to rate Anthony close to undrafted right now. That just blows my mind having seen him. He really ripped up Bama 13 months ago, and some of those Bama OLs either got drafted or will...