Finally, reviewed the Bills-Raiders..

Spun

Some would say that thanks to the large gang member demographic we got the Bills Raiders on SD TV. Just kidding, Raidas' fans! So last night, I finally replayed the game.

Some observations:

This was another game the Bills as a team, let get away.

Last year I complained because the Bills would line Bledsoe up at center without a running back so he would get pummeled. No running back? Hmmm...Immobile QB must be passing. Sunday 3 of the 7 sacks were when Bledsoe was in the shotgun. Sometimes it was the linemen who were manhandled, other times the backs missed blocks and other times there was no one open.

On at least three occasions Bledsoe had underthrown his receivers but there was a defensive back hovering closely in each. Still, make the throw pleeeeaassee...

Every team has penalties but some of those called on the Bills were simply due to a lack of focus. Illegal motion on Eric Moulds? Nate Clements has a beautiful punt return for 62 yards only to have it called back because of a holding penalty on Mario Haggan. Please, was there any need to hold? What was this guy doing, going for the block? No.

Travis Henry slipping like he was should have alerted the team to possibly switching the guys shoes. Travis missed some blocks and dropped some balls. We know Travis can do much better. Use McGahee more.

The Raiders have the ball 3rd and 27 from at around the Bills 40 yard line, hmmm, maybe they really will go for the first down instead of the long bomb to the end zone, right? I am sure it has been a tough week for Rashad Baker after getting toasted like that but man, if there ever was a time for the prevent. It was good use of the pump fake by Gannon, Drew Bledsoe take note.

Neither team was effective at running the ball. Credit the defensive efforts of both teams.

Statistically the Bills turned things around for the better after halftime. The Bills outpassed the Raiders 141 - 32 in the 2nd half (although a big chunk was in the long bomb to Lee Evans). And overall, the Bills outgained the Raiders 182 - 70 in the 2nd half.

3rd downs really hurt the Bills. They couldn't stop the Raiders who went 8 / 15 for the game and the Bills couldn't execute them offensively going 4 / 13. And we know how 4th down went.

The thing that is bothering me about the passing game other than the lack of protection, sacks, short passes (yuck), is that speedster Lee Evans has three catches for the season. And Reed and Shaw have to step it up by holding on to the ball.

Daimon Shelton missed a few crucial blocks but he also had some nice ones and he made a couple of nice grabs. Maybe, and I mean maybe, he can be used a little more and a little better. Shelton is in his 7th year so he also needs to step it up.

A few things that I liked included the balanced attack, 24 rushes and 25 pass attempts. In the second half the Bills seemed to mix the pass attempts spreading the ball around to Reed, Shaw, Shelton, Campbell, etc.

One guy who seemed to have a solid game defensively and on special teams was Terrence McGee. Nice tackles, a sack and very solid returns.

One interesting dimension to Drew Bledsoe's game that I can't remember ever seeing very much of was his rollout on the touchdown. He actually ran, rolled out, threw a touchdown pass (albeit a lucky grab by Moulds). The Bills should roll him out a little (or a lot) more. Move him towards the sideline so that he can throw the ball out of bounds if he has to and / or run (stumble, stagger) out of bounds if he needs to. Remember how Dan Marino had the long streak of not getting sacked because he knew how to get rid of the ball quickly and legally? Tom Clements: break out some old Marino tapes for Bledsoe to watch. Yes, I know. That was Marino.

Last week, after the winnable Jags loss the critics were slamming Bledsoe and Lindell. Lindell wasn't the target this week at all. Bledsoe shares the blame but this one is on the team. A few less mental breakdowns, some better play calling (4th down) and the Bills could have had this one. Take nothing away from the Raiders, they played an a great game. But the Bills could have and should have won this one. Again.

The team looks improved over last year. But, if there ever was a time to play their lights out it will be against the Pats.

Nate Clements has a beautiful punt return for 62 yards only to have it called back because of a holding penalty on Mario Haggan.  Please, was there any need to hold?  What was this guy doing, going for the block?  No.

44459[/snapback]

You apparently didnt get the memo from the NFL, where they admitted there was NO HOLD on that play.

but still, the bills should have won. period.

One interesting dimension to Drew Bledsoe's game that I can't remember ever seeing very much of was his rollout on the touchdown. He actually ran, rolled out, threw a touchdown pass (albeit a lucky grab by Moulds).

Actually, he did it a few times last season and was very successful. In the Titans game specifically, he rolled out and threw a nice TD pass. Then on the fated 2-pt conversion, they ran the same play and Shaw caught it to tie the game (except that he showboated and had it knocked out of his hands and it was ruled incomplete... :lol: ).

CW

Some would say that thanks to the large gang member demographic we got the Bills Raiders on SD TV.  Just kidding, Raidas' fans!  So last night, I finally replayed the game.

Some observations:

This was another game the Bills as a team, let get away.

Last year I complained because the Bills would line Bledsoe up at center without a running back so he would get pummeled.  No running back?  Hmmm...Immobile QB must be passing.  Sunday 3 of the 7 sacks were when Bledsoe was in the shotgun.  Sometimes it was the linemen who were manhandled, other times the backs missed blocks and other times there was no one open.

On at least three occasions Bledsoe had underthrown his receivers but there was a defensive back hovering closely in each. Still, make the throw pleeeeaassee...

Every team has penalties but some of those called on the Bills were simply due to a lack of focus.  Illegal motion on Eric Moulds?  Nate Clements has a beautiful punt return for 62 yards only to have it called back because of a holding penalty on Mario Haggan.  Please, was there any need to hold?  What was this guy doing, going for the block?  No.

Travis Henry slipping like he was should have alerted the team to possibly switching the guys shoes.  Travis missed some blocks and dropped some balls.  We know Travis can do much better.  Use McGahee more.

The Raiders have the ball 3rd and 27 from at around the Bills 40 yard line, hmmm, maybe they really will go for the first down instead of the long bomb to the end zone, right?  I am sure it has been a tough week for Rashad Baker after getting toasted like that but man, if there ever was a time for the prevent.  It was good use of the pump fake by Gannon, Drew Bledsoe take note.

Neither team was effective at running the ball.  Credit the defensive efforts of both teams. 

Statistically the Bills turned things around for the better after halftime.  The Bills outpassed the Raiders 141 - 32 in the 2nd half (although a big chunk was in the long bomb to Lee Evans).  And overall, the Bills outgained the Raiders 182 - 70 in the 2nd half.

3rd downs really hurt the Bills.  They couldn't stop the Raiders who went 8 / 15 for the game and the Bills couldn't execute them offensively going 4 / 13.  And we know how 4th down went.

The thing that is bothering me about the passing game other than the lack of protection, sacks, short passes (yuck), is that speedster Lee Evans has three catches for the season.  And Reed and Shaw have to step it up by holding on to the ball.

Daimon Shelton missed a few crucial blocks but he also had some nice ones and he made a couple of nice grabs.  Maybe, and I mean maybe, he can be used a little more and a little better.  Shelton is in his 7th year so he also needs to step it up.

A few things that I liked included the balanced attack, 24 rushes and 25 pass attempts.  In the second half the Bills seemed to mix the pass attempts spreading the ball around to Reed, Shaw, Shelton, Campbell, etc.

One guy who seemed to have a solid game defensively and on special teams was Terrence McGee.  Nice tackles, a sack and very solid returns.

One interesting dimension to Drew Bledsoe's game that I can't remember ever seeing very much of was his rollout on the touchdown.  He actually ran, rolled out, threw a touchdown pass (albeit a lucky grab by Moulds).  The Bills should roll him out a little (or a lot) more.  Move him towards the sideline so that he can throw the ball out of bounds if he has to and / or run (stumble, stagger) out of bounds if he needs to.  Remember how Dan Marino had the long streak of not getting sacked because he knew how to get rid of the ball quickly and legally?  Tom Clements: break out some old Marino tapes for Bledsoe to watch.  Yes, I know.  That was Marino.

Last week, after the winnable Jags loss the critics were slamming Bledsoe and Lindell.  Lindell wasn't the target this week at all.  Bledsoe shares the blame but this one is on the team.  A few less mental breakdowns, some better play calling (4th down) and the Bills could have had this one.  Take nothing away from the Raiders, they played an a great game.  But the Bills could have and should have won this one. Again.

The team looks improved over last year.  But, if there ever was a time to play their lights out it will be against the Pats.

44459[/snapback]

Don't take this the wrong way spun BUT after reading through most of your novel I have to say that I wish that sometimes people would read some of the other threads before posting. Nearly everything you wrote has been discussed over and over again since Sunday night.

Don't take this the wrong way spun BUT after reading through most of your novel I have to say that I wish that sometimes people would read some of the other threads before posting. Nearly everything you wrote has been discussed over and over again since Sunday night.

44534[/snapback]

Sorry for the novel Marine. That is five days of posts to read. I wish I had the time to read all the other posts but I don't. It has been a work filled week for me. As I am sure, you get quite a few of those weeks yourself!