Michelle Wie ranked 3 in womens Golf

millbank

The first Womens golf rankings have came out. No suprise that Annika Sorenstam is ranked number one and rightly so. But Michelle Wie being ranked number three would be a good ranking if this was marketing Wie to this point as Professional Golfer has signed many endorsement deals and made much money, but has not won a single Professional tournament.

Michelle Wie

The first Womens golf rankings have came out. No suprise that  Annika Sorenstam is ranked number one and rightly so.  But Michelle Wie being ranked number three would be a good ranking if this was marketing  Wie to this point as Professional Golfer has signed many endorsement deals and made much money, but has not won a single Professional  tournament. 

Michelle Wie

607744[/snapback]

Didn't Kournikova make it into the top 10 in womens tennis without coming close to winning anything?? Not sure but thought I remembered that.. :doh:

In ways its similar, given that Anna greatest attribute was Anna, and she known more for Marketing herself, she did win two doubles Championships and much money on the tour. Wie while projected to be a great player one day and has certainly drawn great attention to the womens game and earned much money because of her marketing acumen, has to this point done nothing as playing professional that would merit being placed third. This placing is of consequence because it gives a bye into tournament s rather than having to qualify. Many of the women who play in the majors have earned their way on merit and winning, apparently Wie because of her obvious marketing significance as she to this point has won nothing on tour. There are a number who have played on tour and by their peformance on tour deserve to be placed far ahead of her. Better she earn her place on merit. imo :doh: .

Didn't Kournikova make it into the top 10 in womens tennis without coming close to winning anything?? Not sure but thought I remembered that..  :doh:

607810[/snapback]

The first Womens golf rankings have came out. No suprise that  Annika Sorenstam is ranked number one and rightly so.  But Michelle Wie being ranked number three would be a good ranking if this was marketing  Wie to this point as Professional Golfer has signed many endorsement deals and made much money, but has not won a single Professional  tournament. 

Michelle Wie

607744[/snapback]

Has nothing to do with wins per say but rather strength of field and overall how well she finishes. I believe Wie finished in the top 4 in all womens majors last year, in addition to several other top 10's against strong competion. This is not subjective rankings and is mathmatical in determining who really is best.

In ways its similar, given that Anna greatest attribute was Anna, and she known more for Marketing herself, she did win two doubles Championships and much money on the tour. Wie while projected to be a great player one day and has certainly drawn great attention to the womens game and earned much money because of her marketing acumen, has to this point  done nothing as playing professional that would merit being placed third.  This placing is of consequence because it gives a bye  into tournament s rather than having to qualify.  Many of the women who play in the majors have earned their way on merit and winning, apparently Wie because of her obvious marketing significance as she to this point has won nothing on tour. There are a number who have played on tour and by their peformance on tour deserve to be placed far ahead of her.  Better she earn her place on merit.  imo :doh: .

607822[/snapback]

I agree. Apparently they just think that she's "good for women's golf" and ranking her higher will bring in the younger fans. Doesn't really make much sense anyway. They already have some great up and coming young golfers....

Has nothing to do with wins per say but rather strength of field and overall how well she finishes.  I believe Wie finished in the top 4 in all womens majors last year, in addition to several other top 10's against strong competion.  This is not subjective rankings and is mathmatical in determining who really is best.

607823[/snapback]

Never thought of it that way as I don't really follow women's golf. I just look at the pics that are posted of the hotties.... :doh:

I agree. Apparently they just think that she's "good for women's golf" and ranking her higher will bring in the younger fans. Doesn't really make much sense anyway. They already have some great up and coming young golfers....

607826[/snapback]

Again reread my post, has nothing to do with what is best. Those are real stats that they base it on. Just like Jim Furyk won nothing last year, yet he is ranked 7th in the world on the mens tour right now.

Never thought of it that way as I don't really follow women's golf. I just look at the pics that are posted of the hotties....  :doh:

607828[/snapback]

Friggin liberal. Rather then find out the facts and details, you go off whatever somebody who has no clue starts ranting about and how unjust it is, until you find out the truth, then you ignore it. :doh:

I understand the said thinking behind the how, but I agree with this opinion

Fans of women's golf, the mystery is over. Those long, lonely nights of worrying about who is the best female golfer are over. For the fairer sex, Annika Sorenstam is the best there is.

At least that's according to the first Rolex "Hey, Let's Authenticate Michelle Wie With Ridiculously High" Rankings. Paula Creamer is the pick for the No. 2 female golfer in the rankings, which reportedly use many of the same ranking criteria as does Tiger Beat Magazine when it chooses its "Dreamiest Guys Alive" rankings.

At very least, Creamer had a great season in 2005, finishing second on the money list and winning four times. Michelle Wie, who has six glittering top-10 finishes in her career, is ranked No. 3. Yes, in the world.

Now, I'm sure there are a few Wie fans that will gladly argue that their charge should actually be ranked ahead of Annika. They're crazy like that, that's how they roll.

Here on Earth, however, I can't even begin to express my dismay. Michelle Wie is the No. 3 women's golfer in the world? This is getting too much for me. I'm starting to feel dirty. Like a drug pusher ("C'mon, just watch Wie play once. It's free this time. Look at that swing, huh? She's the best, right? Right? Want some more Wie, now?")

Maybe this will all make more sense after Rolex introduces it's new Michelle Wie line of ladies watches. Until then, however, it feels way too much like the LPGA and the Wie marketing machine are forcing me to accept Michelle Wie as something she isn't yet -- one of the top women's golfers in the world.

Opinion on Wie

Again reread my post, has nothing to do with what is best.  Those are real stats that they base it on.  Just like Jim Furyk won nothing last year, yet he is ranked 7th in the world on the mens tour right now.

607829[/snapback]

Michelle Wie

607744[/snapback]

makes sense, after annika you really dont have much else. for all creamer's talk and attitude, she was no where in the majors. grace park was hurt and had a write-off year. pressel had one good showing in the US open, thats it. wie, on the other hand, has been a factor in just about every women's golf event she's played in. she brings the crowds and she delivers strong performances at womens events, and in mens events she's missed the cut by 1-stroke on 3 occasions and broken par twice, far better showings than annika had at colonial and the mens skins events.

Fans of women's golf, the mystery is over. Those long, lonely nights of worrying about who is the best female golfer are over. For the fairer sex, Annika Sorenstam is the best there is.

At least that's according to the first Rolex "Hey, Let's Authenticate Michelle Wie With Ridiculously High" Rankings. Paula Creamer is the pick for the No. 2 female golfer in the rankings, which reportedly use many of the same ranking criteria as does Tiger Beat Magazine when it chooses its "Dreamiest Guys Alive" rankings.

At very least, Creamer had a great season in 2005, finishing second on the money list and winning four times. Michelle Wie, who has six glittering top-10 finishes in her career, is ranked No. 3. Yes, in the world.

Now, I'm sure there are a few Wie fans that will gladly argue that their charge should actually be ranked ahead of Annika. They're crazy like that, that's how they roll.

Here on Earth, however, I can't even begin to express my dismay. Michelle Wie is the No. 3 women's golfer in the world? This is getting too much for me. I'm starting to feel dirty. Like a drug pusher ("C'mon, just watch Wie play once. It's free this time. Look at that swing, huh? She's the best, right? Right? Want some more Wie, now?")

Maybe this will all make more sense after Rolex introduces it's new Michelle Wie line of ladies watches. Until then, however, it feels way too much like the LPGA and the Wie marketing machine are forcing me to accept Michelle Wie as something she isn't yet -- one of the top women's golfers in the world.

Opinion on Wie

607838[/snapback]

Again, that is an opinion, but the ranking are actually based on points that are based on strength of field, with more points going to the most recent 13 tournaments since that is a better indication of how well said player is doing recently.

Oh and BTW, Michelle Wie won the US Amateur Links tourney at 13 YO 2 years ago, and she was the youngest player to do so. And before you undermine that remember those are not just young kids but some damn good college girls who play there as well. Including I believe that one included Paula Creamer, Pressell and a few of the other rising LPGA stars.

Opinion on Wie

607838[/snapback]

if u think wie is so bad, exactly who do u put ahead of her other than wie and creamer? at most she drops to 5th, no way she's out of top 10.

Its not Michelle Wie being undermind its the others who have played on tour and earned their place on merit. Furyk btw won two tournaments last year, so yes he did win somethng, he has a volume of success.

Again, that is an opinion, but the ranking are actually based on points that are based on strength of field, with more points going to the most recent 13 tournaments since that is a better indication of how well said player is doing recently. 

Oh and BTW, Michelle Wie won the US Amateur Links tourney at 13 YO 2 years ago, and she was the youngest player to do so.  And before you undermine that remember those are not just young kids but some damn good college girls who play there as well.  Including I believe that one included Paula Creamer, Pressell and a few of the other rising LPGA stars.

607845[/snapback]

my opinion is hardly that Michelle is a bad player, her skills and what she had accomplished to date are tremendous, but imo , there are other on merit and volume of actual deeds on tour deserve on merit to be placed ahead of her. That others at this time be placed ahead of her hardly is calling her bad. This seems me like those who call Tiger Woods the greatest that has ever played, I say lets wait until he has had his career before deciding that. We are far to quick to proclaim the greatest these days.

if u think wie is so bad, exactly who do u put ahead of her other than wie and creamer?  at most she drops to 5th, no way she's out of top 10.

607853[/snapback]

Friggin liberal.  Rather then find out the facts and details, you go off whatever somebody who has no clue starts ranting about and how unjust it is, until you find out the truth, then you ignore it.   :doh:

607832[/snapback]

Where's that F-U smiley when we need it??? :) Dorf speaks out! So I don't know how they do the rankings for womens golf, big freaking deal. I'm a little preoccupied over here to look up your little "formula" fag... :doh:

Has nothing to do with wins per say but rather strength of field and overall how well she finishes.  I believe Wie finished in the top 4 in all womens majors last year, in addition to several other top 10's against strong competion.  This is not subjective rankings and is mathmatical in determining who really is best.

607823[/snapback]

Michelle Wie's LPGA Stats

2005 PGA MONEY LIST RANK: #268 ($0)

Tournament Site Date Scores Finish Money

Samsung World Championship Palm Desert, Calif. Oct. 13-16

Weetabix Women's British Open Southport, England July 28-31 75-67-67-69—278 (-11) T3 $142,000*

Evian Masters France July 20-23 75-70-68-68—281 (-7) T2 $212,283

U.S. Women's Open Colorado June 23-26 69-73-72-82—296 (+12) 23rd $30,000*

LPGA Championship Havre de Grace, Md. June 9-12 69-71-71-69—280 (-8) 2nd $164,385

Kraft Nabisco Championship Rancho Mirage, Calif. March 24-27 70-74-73-71—288 (E) T14 $27,571

Safeway International Superstition Mountain, Ariz. March 17-20 73-67-73-71—284 (-4) T12 $23,964

SBS Open Turtle Bay Resort Feb. 24-26 70-70-70—210 (-6) T2 $79,977

Hey midget boy.... While Wie did well in the majors, she wasn't in the top 4 in all of them. How about looking stuff up on your own instead of dropping on everyone else... :doh:

Michelle Wie's LPGA Stats

2005 PGA MONEY LIST RANK: #268 ($0)

Tournament  Site  Date  Scores  Finish  Money 

Samsung World Championship  Palm Desert, Calif.  Oct. 13-16    

Weetabix Women's British Open  Southport, England  July 28-31  75-67-67-69—278 (-11)  T3  $142,000* 

Evian Masters  France  July 20-23  75-70-68-68—281 (-7)  T2  $212,283 

U.S. Women's Open  Colorado  June 23-26  69-73-72-82—296 (+12)  23rd  $30,000* 

LPGA Championship  Havre de Grace, Md.  June 9-12  69-71-71-69—280 (-8)  2nd  $164,385 

Kraft Nabisco Championship  Rancho Mirage, Calif.  March 24-27  70-74-73-71—288 (E)  T14  $27,571 

Safeway International  Superstition Mountain, Ariz.  March 17-20  73-67-73-71—284 (-4)  T12  $23,964 

SBS Open  Turtle Bay Resort  Feb. 24-26  70-70-70—210 (-6)  T2  $79,977 

Hey midget boy.... While Wie did well in the majors, she wasn't in the top 4 in all of them. How about looking stuff up on your own instead of dropping on everyone else...  :doh:

607880[/snapback]

Sorry she finished top 4 in 3 out of 4 and 23rd in the other. My !@#$ing mistake.

Go !@#$ a goat. :doh:

As far as money goes, she wasn't allowed to earn any as an amateur. And if she was, in her few exceptions she would have finished 8th on the money list in basically 1/3 of the tourneys that a pro can.

my opinion is hardly that Michelle is a bad player, her skills and what she had accomplished to date are tremendous, but imo , there are other on merit and volume of actual deeds on tour deserve on merit to be placed ahead of her.  That others at this time be placed ahead of her hardly is calling her bad. This seems me like those who call Tiger Woods the greatest that has ever played, I say lets wait until he has had his career before deciding that.  We are far to quick to proclaim the greatest these days.

607868[/snapback]

so other than creamer and sorenstam who would u put ahead of wie in womens golf and what rank would that drop her to? also, not sure who proclaimed her greatest, ranking came out that has her 3rd and when u examine the competition it seems reasonable.

What I would like to see is for her to qualify for various tournaments. What this ranking does is give her a bye into majors , where many others have had to play a long time and succeed to earn this privilege. I would like to see her play on the womens tour, gain her place on actual play. The volumes of articles alluding to her as the future greatest at the exclusion of many others are far to many to mention . Let her play and her actual results, proove out her ranking, she has not at this time played enough.

I am not wishing to put down this yong lady in any fashion, my desire is that people earn their way on deeds, I understand this not to be the way of the world .

I dont have the desire to change your opinon , if you feel that she is currently third best women golfer so be it. Lets see how the year plays out and if this is a fair placing than good for her. But I will tell you , I would like for the Buffalo Bills to get a bye into the playoffs , watch the other teams beat themselves up all year and the Bills play them in the biggest games of the year.

so other than creamer and sorenstam who would u put ahead of wie in womens golf and what rank would that drop her to?  also, not sure who proclaimed her greatest, ranking came out that has her 3rd and when u examine the competition it seems reasonable.

607908[/snapback]