(LAMP) Update on Law School

Arkady Renko

is there any kind of law that doesnt require all those hours?

609169[/snapback]

LOL! yeah, be a judge. :w00t:

If you work for a government agency, like the NLRB for example, you work 9-5. You just don't get the great financial rewards. However, you trade that for a better quality of life and you get great govt. benefits.

LOL! yeah, be a judge.  :D

If you work for a government agency, like the NLRB for example, you work 9-5. You just don't get the great financial rewards. However, you trade that for a better quality of life and you get great govt. benefits.

609191[/snapback]

but i bet its hard to get a job like that right? once you get your law degree in a certain practice is that all you can do? or is there some mobility?

but i bet its hard to get a job like that right? once you get your law degree in a certain practice is that all you can do? or is there some mobility?

609244[/snapback]

A law degree is one of the most flexible degrees you could obtain. Granted, if you are a trial lawyer for 15 years it may be difficult to shift gears to become an employment discrimination lawyer - but I think it would have more to do with what salary you would command vs. your experience.

I'm a UB law grad (first class of any kind to attend the Amherst campus. Worked my way through as a cop and on the GI Bill, but still loved the law school experience. Socratic dialogue and all that. I went, because of cop background to a "watchdog agency" formed after Attica as Assistant Counsel, and enjoyed that. Shifted to NYS Attorney General and worked on fascinating cases (can you spell "Love Canal?" or Nursing Home Probe? Able to try cases and handle complex appellate work, but pay was lousy. After a major trial shifted to higher edcuation law and have been doing that for over twenty years. Always new issues in intellectual property, contracts, con-law issues and have a med school so there is more than enough med-mal to keep busy. I teach law at a law school in Virginia part time. Never regretted the practice of law.

I'd start out getting some litigation experience (a federal clerkship of course is the best possible option). Attorney General of NYS is great for litigation and appellate work, although you might want to look to corporation counsel of Buffalo, albany or New York as well. You might want to put in time at the DA's office or even Public Defender. Earning your spurs in a courtroom will do you well whatever you chose later. Kind of like all of those ex military guys on PPP who never saw a day of combat. Then just keep your eyes open and find your bliss!

I'm a UB law grad (first class of any kind to attend the Amherst campus.  Worked my way through as a cop and on the GI Bill, but still loved the law school experience.  Socratic dialogue and all that.  I went, because of cop background to a "watchdog agency" formed after Attica as Assistant Counsel, and enjoyed that.  Shifted to NYS Attorney General and worked on fascinating cases (can you spell "Love Canal?" or Nursing Home Probe?  Able to try cases and handle complex appellate work, but pay was lousy.  After a major trial shifted to higher edcuation law and have been doing that for over twenty years.  Always new issues in intellectual property, contracts, con-law issues and have a med school so there is more than enough med-mal to keep busy.  I teach law at a law school in Virginia part time.  Never regretted the practice of law.

609345[/snapback]

Doesn't your neck get sore after all this kissing of your own fanny?

:devil:

Nah...And I wouldn't mind you elaborating on all of those people who might not have ordered fries but for your inquiries as to whether they wanted "fries with that!" :lol:

609785[/snapback]

:devil:

If your students read this, they would be insulted by your making fun of their future careers. I think it's incumbent that you provide at least a plausible front...it's wrong to dishearten them and could be a waste of the taxpayer's money that pays their tuition and your salary when they drop out. :lol: