(LAMP) Update on Law School

Arkady Renko

Late last summer, I started law school and wasn't quite sure about my decision. I ended up posting on the Stadium Wall about my doubts and got a lot of good advice and information. I sort of am writing again just to let folks know how things worked out and ask for further information from those law school graduates out there.

I ended up liking my classmates more and finding the field much more interesting. (I especially liked Torts last semester and am liking Property and Criminal Law now.) I survived finals all right and got good grades. Looking for a summer job sucks, but I don't regret continuing on too much. I often envy friends who have started nice careers in the working world and sometimes wish I was done with this all more quickly, but it's all right I guess.

Anyway, for those law school graduates here, I was wondering if you could tell me what you do now whether it is directly involving law or not, how much enjoy it and what have you. I am thinking forward to the end of my three years and am more trying to think hard about where I want to end up and how to get there.

Thanks a lot.

Last year's post: http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...=feeling+school

I did not practice for three years after law school. I became a grassroots activist earning little money but loved what I did.

I then thought that I had better practice law soon or else I would never do it. I took the bar exam and trust me - take the exam right after you graduate and do not wait! I had to study three times as hard due to my delay. The hard work was worth it because I was in high demand due to the extensive connections I established throughout the community. To legal employers that translates into rainmaking potential. I was also one of the best law students in my class

So, doing well in law school will provide you fexibility after you graduate so that you can explore many options.

I often envy friends who have started nice careers in the working world and sometimes wish I was done with this all more quickly, but it's all right I guess.

Trust me, no you don't. I've been out of law school for five years, and not a day goes by that I wish I wasn't still back there. It was a blast. You'll have the rest of your life to work, enjoy the moment.

Trust me, no you don't.  I've been out of law school for five years, and not a day goes by that I wish I wasn't still back there.  It was a blast.  You'll have the rest of your life to work, enjoy the moment.

607784[/snapback]

I didn't hate law school, but not a day goes by that I wish I WAS still back there. Far better, as far as I'm concerned, to be on THIS side of the bar exam instead of THAT side. :)

I practiced with fairly large firms for four years after graduating; the fact that I got good grades, made law review, etc. pretty much locked me into at least trying that life out. I've been in legal publishing for three years since then and like this much better. I travel more than I did when I practiced, and yet have better hours and spend more time with my family. I have more influence across the office and company, I'm involved in a much wider range of things (including sales, marketing & development), etc. etc. I even have a nicer office view :doh: The only thing that was better on the other side of the fence was the money. :doh:

When I was a 1L I had no idea I would be where I am now. I'm not sure I could have even planned for it, or even if it would have been what I wanted back then. Like John Lennon said, life is what happens to you while you're making other plans.

I didn't hate law school, but not a day goes by that I wish I WAS still back there. Far better, as far as I'm concerned, to be on THIS side of the bar exam instead of THAT side.

I agree about the bar exam, and I understand that most people didn't like law school. I loved it. I went to UB and basically, it was an extension of college. I had a good group of friends and we basically went out every nite to hook up with college girls.

For the record - I hated law school (went to UB)! I think it should be mandatory that every law school applicant take at least one year "off" between undergrad and law school. Too many "Biff's and Buffy's" from Greek Row treat law school like an extension of undergrad.

Also, law school is like highschool on steroids.

For the record - I hated law school (went to UB)! I think it should be mandatory that every law school applicant take at least one year "off" between undergrad and law school. Too many "Biff's and Buffy's" from Greek Row treat law school like an extension of undergrad.

Also, law school is like highschool on steroids.

607869[/snapback]

I take you must have been popular then. :doh:

I didn't hate law school, but not a day goes by that I wish I WAS still back there.  Far better, as far as I'm concerned, to be on THIS side of the bar exam instead of THAT side.  :)

I practiced with fairly large firms for four years after graduating; the fact that I got good grades, made law review, etc. pretty much locked me into at least trying that life out.  I've been in legal publishing for three years since then and like this much better.  I travel more than I did when I practiced, and yet have better hours and spend more time with my family.  I have more influence across the office and company, I'm involved in a much wider range of things (including sales, marketing & development), etc. etc.  I even have a nicer office view :doh:  The only thing that was better on the other side of the fence was the money.    :doh:

When I was a 1L I had no idea I would be where I am now.  I'm not sure I could have even planned for it, or even if it would have been what I wanted back then.  Like John Lennon said, life is what happens to you while you're making other plans.

607815[/snapback]

I am concerned about the BIGFIRM lifestyle. I want to have a family fairly soon and want to have some balance in my life. Unfortunately, that seems hard to get in this career.

And this, in a nutshell, is the problem with America. TOO MANY LAWYERS.

:doh:

607950[/snapback]

I've got four - four - working on the case involving my car right now (it was parked, drunk ran into it and totalled it, said drunk is going to have his balls ripped off if I have anything to say about it).

Four. Pro-bono. I've got more lawyers than mechanics working on this. When you can find four lawyers willing to work for free on a simple non-injury hit-and-run...then yeah, this country has too many lawyers.

I've got four - four - working on the case involving my car right now (it was parked, drunk ran into it and totalled it, said drunk is going to have his balls ripped off if I have anything to say about it). 

Four.  Pro-bono.  I've got more lawyers than mechanics working on this.  When you can find four lawyers willing to work for free on a simple non-injury hit-and-run...then yeah, this country has too many lawyers.

608056[/snapback]

Well, at least its one good lawyer and three Lemmings from Antarctica working on it for you.

I am concerned about the BIGFIRM lifestyle. I want to have a family fairly soon and want to have some balance in my life. Unfortunately, that seems hard to get in this career.

608020[/snapback]

It is tough. I work in a medium sized firm in BUffalo (small for NYC, Chicago, LA, etc). My wife also has a very demanding job. The general rule is that smaller firms tend to be more "family friendly." But that is a relative term. I work, on average, 55-65 hours a week, but if I have a trial that goes up considerably, depending on the size of the case. There can also be a lot of time away from home.

Four.  Pro-bono.  I've got more lawyers than mechanics working on this.  When you can find four lawyers willing to work for free on a simple non-injury hit-and-run...then yeah, this country has too many lawyers.

608056[/snapback]

I was going to ask what was happening on that end. Thanks for the update. And definitely no mercy to the dumbass drunk driver!

It is tough. I work in a medium sized firm in BUffalo (small for NYC, Chicago, LA, etc). My wife also has a very demanding job. The general rule is that smaller firms tend to be more "family friendly." But that is a relative term. I work, on average, 55-65 hours a week, but if I have a trial that goes up considerably, depending on the size of the case. There can also be a lot of time away from home.

608078[/snapback]

is there any kind of law that doesnt require all those hours?