The death warrant for Teague as a C

Pyrite Gal

The official Bills website has an interview with new OC Fairchild regarding his views on various aspects of the O. He was asked about the OL and while not going into the specifics about individual players he did say:

SF: "I think we've addressed that already in the meetings that we've had. You've got to have athletic tackles and you need a physical inside three (guard, center, guard). I think the offensive line just sets a tone for your whole football team. We'll do everything we can to make it a strong unit."

While this does not imply directly that Teague who has started in the NFL as an athletic tackle is a definite goner, I know few folks that would describe his play or his demographics as a center as being those of a "physical" player.

While the ramblings of an NY Post sports columnist that the Bills have already decided to let him walk should not be taken as gospel, these comments definitely strongly indicate that Fairchild is looking for a different type player than Teague to set the tone for the whole football team.

I see, so I take off for a few days and FFS has a new name? Anyone figure this one out yet?

Oh, and I agree, I think it's fair to say Teague will probably not be back. I wonder how much McNally has to do with that as well; in fact, I wonder if McNally has wanted to restructure this line since the first day he came here.

I see, so I take off for a few days and FFS has a new name? Anyone figure this one out yet?

607139[/snapback]

Pyrite = Fool's Gold, but that's as far as I've gotten. I put a whole 30 seconds of analysis into it, though... :devil:

And I say yes. Let's not forget that Fairchild will remember some of the old personnel from his last stint with the team. Here's hoping he has indeed seen enough of Teague (and the revolving door at LG).

If we can sign a new center or truly project that Preston is going to fit the bill, and then sign / draft a NASTY, nasty LG, I think this line looks adequate already. In this draft I'd almost say go DT, LG, RG (and draft Villarial's eventual replacement). Villarial showed signs of physical and mental wear but will probably get an extra year or two out of playing for a coach he really loves.

The tackles need work and Gandy is not the guy who is going to hold down that left side forever for us, but they were the least of our worries last year, to the surprise of most.

Considering Teague has been playing out of his normal position for years with the Bills, how about moving him back to Guard or Tackle (I forgot which he played) and let Preston start? 

PTR

607212[/snapback]

Answer: he's a tackle.

And there are two good reasons not to stick with him and move him back. 1) He has to be re-signed to stay here. If we can have a lot better for a million more, we should do it. He's getting old and he just didn't have it last year. He was constantly getting pushed back into Losman's face.

Second, he doesn't IMO represent an upgrade to the younger and, to this point adequate (if not stellar) tackles we have in Gandy and Peters.

If he wants to stay for tackle/center depth for vet minimum, fine. Other than that, let him go.

Considering Teague has been playing out of his normal position for years with the Bills, how about moving him back to Guard or Tackle (I forgot which he played) and let Preston start? 

PTR

607212[/snapback]

He was a left tackle. Something tells me that if he was a good LT, Denver would have kept him, or he would have beaten out the likes of Gandy.

Sometimes you just have to let go.

Second, he doesn't IMO represent an upgrade to the younger and, to this point adequate (if not stellar) tackles we have in Gandy and Peters.

607217[/snapback]

Peters has potential. I am all for giving him a chance at LT if the coaches think he is up to the task.

That said, if you think that the tandem of Gandy and Peters even approaches "stellar," I urge you to subscribe to DirecTV and watch a few other teams that actually have good offensive tackles. That, or cut down on substances while watching Bills games. :lol:

Peters has potential. I am all for giving him a chance at LT if the coaches think he is up to the task.

That said, if you think that the tandem of Gandy and Peters even approaches "stellar," I urge you to subscribe to DirecTV and watch a few other teams that actually have good offensive tackles. That, or cut down on substances while watching Bills games.  :lol:

607224[/snapback]

I don't think it approaches stellar in the least. that's why "not" prefaced it.

I said, and meant, adequate. ESPECIALLY in comparison to our turnstile situation in the middle.

That said, if you think that the tandem of Gandy and Peters even approaches "stellar," I urge you to subscribe to DirecTV and watch a few other teams that actually have good offensive tackles. That, or cut down on substances while watching Bills games.  :lol:

607224[/snapback]

Also, lately, substances are the only things that can get me THROUGH Bills games. :lol:

607139[/snapback]

Pyrite is "Fool's Gold"

Marv and Ralph called themselves the Golden Boys

He is riffing on

The Golden Boys - The Fool's Gold Gal = Pyrite Gal.

The opposite of Gold and Boy.

:lol::lol::ph34r::lol::lol:

Pyrite is "Fool's Gold"

Marv and Ralph called themselves the Golden Boys

He is riffing on

The Golden Boys  - The Fool's Gold Gal = Pyrite Gal.

The opposite of Gold and Boy.

:lol:  :lol:  :ph34r:  :lol:  :lol:

607238[/snapback]

Damn, that's good.

607224[/snapback]

Really, the only debate that is a close one as far as this line is concerned is: Which is worse, the tackles or the three inside guys? Oh I know a good argument could be made that our tackles are among the worst in the league with the exception of newcomer Peters. Still, I have to go with the inside trio of red cape waivers that have managed to make the quaint notion of a "pocket" non-existent in Buffalo.

Reasonable minds may differ as to whether we suk more on the edge than we do on the inside but there is no question that we succotash.

Finally somebody at OBD states the obvious, put the athletic guys on the outside and the behemoths on the inside. Now let's hope they follow through. Teague should have been switched back to tackle 3 years ago and taken a shot wtih Jennings at center. I could never understand the thought that they had to have an athletic center when the DT's and NG's just keep getting bigger and bigger and the DE's keep getting faster and faster.

The official Bills website has an interview with new OC Fairchild regarding his views on various aspects of the O.  He was asked about the OL and while not going into the specifics about individual players he did say:

SF: "I think we've addressed that already in the meetings that we've had. You've got to have athletic tackles and you need a physical inside three (guard, center, guard). I think the offensive line just sets a tone for your whole football team. We'll do everything we can to make it a strong unit."

While this does not imply directly that Teague who has started in the NFL as an athletic tackle is a definite goner, I know few folks that would describe his play or his demographics as a center as being those of a "physical" player.

While the ramblings of an NY Post sports columnist that the Bills have already decided to let him walk should not be taken as gospel, these comments definitely strongly indicate that Fairchild is looking for a different type player than Teague to set the tone for the whole football team.

607123[/snapback]