Russia Sells Su-25 Warplanes to Iran

My Webpage

Iran is buying Su-25UBT ground attack aircraft from Russia.

Iran has confirmed the fact of purchasing three Su-25 bombers from Russia. Earlier a Russian defense industry source informed that Teheran procured three planes of Su-25UBT series, a combat two-seat aircraft-bomber. As Middle East News Line information agency reports, the contract was signed in 2005 and to be implemented within 2006.

Three of them are to be delivered this year. The UBT is the latest model of the Su-25, which is similar to the American A-10. The 17 ton aircraft carries up to 4.4 tons of missiles and bombs. The UBT version is also equipped with electronic countermeasures and a fire control system that can handle the latest Russian air-to-ground missiles and smart bombs. No mention was made of Russia selling those munitions (similar to the American Maverick missile and laser guided bombs). But there’s no point in buying the UBT model, unless you get the modern munitions that version of the Su-25 can handle. The Su-25 can operate over a thousand kilometers from its base, if it uses drop tanks.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Webpage

Iran is buying Su-25UBT ground attack aircraft from Russia.

Iran has confirmed the fact of purchasing three Su-25 bombers from Russia. Earlier a Russian defense industry source informed that Teheran procured three planes of Su-25UBT series, a combat two-seat aircraft-bomber. As Middle East News Line information agency reports, the contract was signed in 2005 and to be implemented within 2006. 

Three of them are to be delivered this year. The UBT is the latest model of the Su-25, which is similar to the American A-10. The 17 ton aircraft carries up to 4.4 tons of missiles and bombs. The UBT version is also equipped with electronic countermeasures and a fire control system that can handle the latest Russian air-to-ground missiles and smart bombs. No mention was made of Russia selling those munitions (similar to the American Maverick missile and laser guided bombs). But there’s no point in buying the UBT model, unless you get the modern munitions that version of the Su-25 can handle. The Su-25 can operate over a thousand kilometers from its base, if it uses drop tanks.

606991[/snapback]

Three MORE. Iran's been buying them for years, and has a couple squadrons active already. They're also no longer in production. In other words, the Iranians are buying used, second-hand, old aircraft that they already have plenty of...so who cares?

And no, before anyone asks, they're not nuclear strike aircraft, and have nothing to do with Iran's nuclear ambitions. :devil:

Three MORE.  Iran's been buying them for years, and has a couple squadrons active already.  They're also no longer in production.  In other words, the Iranians are buying used, second-hand, old aircraft that they already have plenty of...so who cares?

And no, before anyone asks, they're not nuclear strike aircraft, and have nothing to do with Iran's nuclear ambitions.  :devil:

607050[/snapback]

So if they can't carry nukes then they aren't even as powerful as one of our whimpy Predator drones...? :devil:

So if they can't carry nukes then they aren't even as powerful as one of our whimpy Predator drones...?  :devil:

607052[/snapback]

Well...they CAN carry corrosive nerve gas...but only short distances before the wings fall off. The gas IS corrosive, after all. I'd be more worried about China's Antarctic clown-based antisattelite laser program.

(On a serious note, the Russians named the SU-25 the "Shturmovik", which in one word says FAR more about its capabilities and usage than I'd ever bother posting in this !@#$ing nursery school...)

I'd be more worried about the 9 billion US stinger missiles that are loose in Afghanistan after we helped the Mujahadeen kick out the invaders.  Wait, this all has a familiar ring to it.

607679[/snapback]

Lots of them were repurchased in the Clinton administration. There's not THAT many still in circulation (there probably weren't that many to begin with...the ubiquity of the Stingers was less with the mujahaddin than it was with the media. I'd be surprised if any more than a few hundred were ever shipped to Afghanistan. Of course, it only takes a couple...)

I'd be more worried about Russian man-portable SAMs like the SA-7 or SA-16. Russian arms seem to get around far more than US ones.

Three MORE.  Iran's been buying them for years, and has a couple squadrons active already.  They're also no longer in production.  In other words, the Iranians are buying used, second-hand, old aircraft that they already have plenty of...so who cares?

And no, before anyone asks, they're not nuclear strike aircraft, and have nothing to do with Iran's nuclear ambitions.  :doh:

607050[/snapback]

Just about any military aircraft capable of dropping a bomb can carry a tactical nuke. They get armed before the plane leaves, and detonate either in the air or upon contact with the ground.

Like I said any military plane that drops bombs can do this. The Israeli's use F-16's and F-15's for this.

I wonder if they have any of the Tomcats left that we sold the Shaw?  They're probably all scrap or hangar queens by now.

607711[/snapback]

I recall hearing a few years ago, they had a few still able to fly. I don't know why they would bother spending the $$$ to keep any of them flying, though.

The US converted theirs into more or less bombing and combat air patrol platforms and IIRC they are all phased out or soon to be.

I recall hearing a few years ago, they had a few still able to fly.  I don't know why they would bother spending the $$$ to keep any of them flying, though.

The US converted theirs into more or less bombing and combat air patrol platforms and  IIRC they are all phased out or soon to be.

607725[/snapback]

They still have quite a few - 40 or so. But they have no parts for them, so they have to keep cannibalizing some of them to keep others flying. I've heard that at any given time they can get roughly nine of them in the air.

Just flying isn't enough, though. Combat worthiness is another matter. If they have any combat capability at all, it's got to be some weird kludged-together combination of different technologies.

Just about any military aircraft capable of dropping a bomb can carry a tactical nuke.  They get armed before the plane leaves, and detonate either in the air or upon contact with the ground.

Like I said any military plane that drops bombs can do this.  The Israeli's use F-16's and F-15's for this.

607722[/snapback]

Any idea what the effective flight envelope for a combat-laden SU-25 is? Any idea what the flight paramaters are for dropping a first- or second-generation nuclear weapon? Any idea if the two coincide?

Not all planes are created equal.

They still have quite a few - 40 or so.  But they have no parts for them, so they have to keep cannibalizing some of them to keep others flying.  I've heard that at any given time they can get roughly nine of them in the air.

Just flying isn't enough, though.  Combat worthiness is another matter.  If they have any combat capability at all, it's got to be some weird kludged-together combination of different technologies.

607742[/snapback]

I'd guess they may consider them - the few that fly - as some sort of "look at what we have" garbage. Just speculation - a suicide hi-speed, Straits of Hormuz mission type of thing - send 'em out and launch whatever mish-mosh of missiles they have.

The Su-25's? Those old buggies have tactical use, but against who? I'd guess that their main use is attacking their own citizenry, ala the Serb's use of Galoob (?) and Alpha to whack their own.

I'd be worried if they got their claws onto some Mirage F-1's...

Any idea what the effective flight envelope for a combat-laden SU-25 is?  Any idea what the flight paramaters are for dropping a first- or second-generation nuclear weapon?  Any idea if the two coincide?

Not all planes are created equal.

607748[/snapback]

we're talking people that strap nail bombs to their bodies. Just what parameters do they need if they think they drop a nuke on americans? hell if they can duct tape the thing to the fuselage then it's "weee off we go"

we're talking people that strap nail bombs to their bodies.  Just what parameters do they need if they think they drop a nuke on americans? hell if they can duct tape the thing to the fuselage then it's "weee off we go"

607798[/snapback]

dib - the Su-25 is a tactical ground-attack platform. There is no lack of commercial aircraft that could hold a nuclear device - hidden in a cargo hold, on a suicide mission. An old cargo ship with legit shipping papers with an ancient surface-to-surface missile brought up from it's hold, prepped and armed, works. Or just steam into port and push the button. The general idea is to do what one can to stop the warhead production.

If you hit me with a close-range flintlock smooth-bore 50 caliber lead ball at 100 feet or a 50 caliber Browning machine gun bullet at 2000 yards, the result is the same...

One nuke set off on our soil pretty much insures WWIII or some variant. Just a guess, but I think that before that happens, as a deterrent, Muslim terrorists and Muslim nations have been informed that the US nuclear response order of battle is the destruction of Mecca, Medina, Cairo, Tehran, Damascus, Jakarta, Beriut, Ridayh, Muscat etc.

And a cobalt cladding to insure centuries of inhabitibility of those targets is a trivial task...

'tis Har Meggido...Armaggedon...