Cartoons published in Denmark,

pdh1

Yeah, that makes perfect sense....

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria -- At least 15 people were killed in northeastern Nigeria on Saturday as Muslim protesters attacked Christians and burned churches when a march against cartoons depicting Prophet Muhammad turned violent, police and residents said.

Rioters also burned 15 Christian churches in Maiduguri, Nigerian police spokesman Haz Iwendi said. Troops and police reinforcements have been deployed in the city to restore order, Iwendi said.

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria -- At least 15 people were killed in northeastern Nigeria on Saturday as Muslim protesters attacked Christians and burned churches when a march against cartoons depicting Prophet Muhammad turned violent, police and residents said.

Rioters also burned 15 Christian churches in Maiduguri, Nigerian police spokesman Haz Iwendi said. Troops and police reinforcements have been deployed in the city to restore order, Iwendi said.

606479[/snapback]

As much as we discuss everything right or wrong here, and the craziness of the world at large -

Someone really needs to put a fence around Africa.

606479[/snapback]

Yet another sign that the gene pool has been stretched way too thin. Also reaffirms my favorite axiom (not that it needed affirmation): Stupidity knows no ethnic, gender, and geographical boundries.

As much as we discuss everything right or wrong here, and the craziness of the world at large -

606495[/snapback]

Ya... That's the answer!

Centuries of weapons going in for whatever reason... Now we can just put a "fence" around the "circle of violence."

Not that much can be done now anyway, I agree... You would think the western world would have a little more remorse?

:P:doh:

Ya... That's the answer!

Centuries of weapons going in for whatever reason... Now we can just put a "fence" around the "circle of violence."

Not that much can be done now anyway, I agree... You would think the western world would have a little more remorse?

:devil:  :devil:

606561[/snapback]

I think they just used torches to burn down the churches....not sure what weapons you are talking about

606495[/snapback]

I have a good friend who is deploying to Africa for 9 months. After that he is coming back home for a month of leave. When leave's over, he packs up and heads to Afghanistan.

Craziness...

Ya... That's the answer!

606561[/snapback]

Are we supposed to be guilty over everyone's behavior? All guns did over there is give them higher technology than stones and arrows. They still kill each other on a regular basis with machetes and clubs anyway. Guns don't affect the mind sets. Besides, this doesn't have anything to do with that anyway.

I think they just used torches to burn down the churches....not sure what weapons you are talking about

606888[/snapback]

But we gave them the technology to create fire! :devil:

Really...implicit in the "it's all our fault they're killing each other" complaint is a certain sort of racist attitude that they wouldn't be doing so if we hadn't dragged them kicking and screaming into the modern era.

Are we supposed to be guilty over everyone's behavior? All guns did over there is give them higher technology than stones and arrows. They still kill each other on a regular basis with machetes and clubs anyway. Guns don't affect the mind sets. Besides, this doesn't have anything to do with that anyway.

606925[/snapback]

Agree Bib.

But, you don't give an arsonist a match and say: "show some restraint."

I am not saying that western trade (slave, guns... whatnot) through the centuries is solely to blame... But, we can feel some remorse for the total lack of reason we (I say "we" as one being part of the "1st world"... Even that term along with "we" makes me cringe) showed during these times.

It is almost like people said: "give them what they want and let them kill each other."

I am not debating the "rightness" of their actions... Just the "wrongness" of people saying: "look what they become."

It is quite simple and yet so stupid.

Think you can ever "unring a bell?"

:devil::devil:

606925[/snapback]

Typical. Liberal. When he says we, or blames the western world, he doesn't mean himself, of course. An attempt to absolve himself, for some reason, in my estimation, of some imagined collective guilt. Crazy, not logical, but quite common. Mankind continuously proves how capible it is of doing terrible things. Eveywhere. But the KKK was not involved in this, as far as I know.

But we gave them the technology to create fire!   :devil:

Really...implicit in the "it's all our fault they're killing each other" complaint is a certain sort of racist attitude that they wouldn't be doing so if we hadn't dragged them kicking and screaming into the modern era.

606932[/snapback]

No. That is so simplistic... This isn't a mathematical equation... You can't reduce it down to the lowest common demoninator "weapon."

You will always be able to counter with what happened to the British in S. Africa and the Zulu tribe... Do you think that can happen today?

Who controls the African establishments and armies? Guns and not weapons make a difference and really is what we are talking about.

Again... How do these attitudes change? You don't tell a diabetic to control their disease by not controlling their diet to some extent.

Again... I NEVER said it was ALL OUR fault.

I am not debating the "rightness" of their actions... Just the "wrongness" of people saying: "look what they become."

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that at all. They are the one continent who are still closer than any other (except for that penguin haven) to what they were 500 years ago than anyone.

I'd have to say they have been pretty consistent. I'm also saddened that policy and security wise, we have to now involve ourselves there. That sucks, because overall - Africa is impossible to deal with.

Typical.  Liberal.  When he says we, or blames the western world, he doesn't mean himself, of course.  An attempt to absolve himself, for some reason, in my estimation, of some imagined collective guilt.  Crazy, not logical, but quite common.  Mankind continuously proves how capible it is of doing terrible things.  Eveywhere.  But the KKK was not involved in this, as far as I know.

606966[/snapback]

I don't absolve myself by no means... I actually feel remorse... That is all I said... Where in my post am I foisting all the blame on the western world? Here is my post, I will highlight the parts that seem to confuse:

Ya... That's the answer!

That "western world"... Very much INCLUDES me... I didn't make Bib's comments.

:devil::devil:

606888[/snapback]

I understand... I am sorry for taking the discussion into the rest of Africa. This particular story is what it is.

Africa as a whole is very much in a mess.

Again... Sorry for not isolating this story.

I don't absolve myself by no means... I actually feel remorse... That is all I said... Where in my post am I foisting all the blame on the western world?  Here is my post, I will highlight the parts that seem to confuse:

Ya... That's the answer!

That "western world"... Very much INCLUDES me... I didn't make Bib's comments.

606976[/snapback]

All Human history started in Africa. They have guns now?

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that at all. They are the one continent who are still closer than any other (except for that penguin haven) to what they were 500 years ago than anyone.

I'd have to say they have been pretty consistent. I'm also saddened that policy and security wise, we have to now involve ourselves there. That sucks, because overall - Africa is impossible to deal with.

606974[/snapback]

Okay... Thanks.

It is quite a dilemma!

Touche.

Again, sorry for taking this thread down this road.

606987[/snapback]

No problem, I don't think.

But, Africa is THE benchmark for imperialism, America has never been a player there, and now, like the rest of the world -we're stuck with it because now Germany, France, England and Belgium have better things to do. Want to check out some of this terrorist stuff? Look at the Horn. That's the new playground. Not some cave in Afghanistan or Pakistan.

No problem, I don't think.

But, Africa is THE benchmark for imperialism, America has never been a player there, and now, like the rest of the world -we're stuck with it because now Germany, France, England and Belgium have better things to do. Want to check out some of this terrorist stuff? Look at the Horn. That's the new playground. Not some cave in Afghanistan or Pakistan.

606998[/snapback]

Exactly... I can't argue with that.

But... Do "we" really have to be stuck with. A brave new model would indicate, no.