USA Men's Hockey should stop sending pros

Like A Mofo

Do you think its time for the USA to stop sending the NHL players to the Olympics?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think its time for the USA to stop sending the NHL players to the Olympics?

• Yes
    • No

I'm a firm believer in NO PROS in the Olympics. If other countries want to "cheat" or call their hockey and B-Ball players "plumbers" or some such nonsense, let them.

The US team should be strictly amateur. Cover expenses and such...fine. But, if you make your living playing a sport, the USA should not use you on the team.

Now athletes are were truly amateur, who's dream is/was to compete in the Olympic games (NOT to be a professional) are screwed. Why? So the USA can win a few more medals?

I'd rather have the medals we win REALLY mean something. When the US hockey team won the gold...or the old amateur B-Ball teams won the gold, it was a real accomplishment. We felt proud that we defeated fake amateurs from other countries.

Now those countries get to feel that pride when they upset a UAS team made up of professionals.

My vote was no - but a conditional no. I'd like the IOC to set it up the way they do for Olympic soccer - send as many professionals as you want, but limit it to those that are 23 or under. That way you can see emerging stars rather than established pros.

It's too late now that they've done it and now that the pros are full of Europeans. You'd have to get all the nations to agree to not use the NHL players, otherwise it would be silly, having team USA all nobodies and the other teams all full of recongizable guys from the NHL/NBA, etc.

We'll never have another Lake Placid in hockey.

It's too late now that they've done it and now that the pros are full of Europeans.  You'd have to get all the nations to agree to not use the NHL players, otherwise it would be silly, having team USA all nobodies and the other teams all full of recongizable guys from the NHL/NBA, etc.

We'll never have another Lake Placid in hockey.

605165[/snapback]

I think the USA should lead by example. We'll take our lumps, for sure. But if we lead with integrity others will follow...or the VP will shoot them!

My vote was no - but a conditional no.  I'd like the IOC to set it up the way they do for Olympic soccer - send as many professionals as you want, but limit it to those that are 23 or under.  That way you can see emerging stars rather than established pros.

605151[/snapback]

not a bad idea there..maybe 25

USA Hockey

I think for me the allure of seeing NHLers in the Olympics has worn off.  Id rather get behind some unknown players trying to make a name for themselves versus seeing a USA team underachieve and trash the Olympic village.

Thoughts?

605142[/snapback]

I don't have a problem with Professionals competing, but I think I would rather see it become an Under 23 tournament like the Olympic Soccer. That would make the USOC put more time into player development.

It's funny...I don't want pros to play basketball in the Olympics, but I absolutely like seeing them play hockey and baseball.

I think it's because college basketball is such a huge thing here that we know all of the college players. In hockey or baseball, the non-pros are relative unknowns.

Therefore, I voted "no" in this particular poll.

The Olympics is about the best players in the world representing their countries.

The biggest problem with the current situation is the NHL not cutting short the season and giving the players a chance to practice with each other.

The NBA players are an embarrassment but I like watching them get spanked.

I'd prefer to see amateur athletes in the olympics for the same reason why i prefer to watch college basketball over the NBA...amateur athletes put everything on the line for glory...professional athletes can blow a game and go home to their mansions

even if i'm rooting against a particular college team, it always kills me a little inside when i see the seniors bawl their eyes out after their last college game because for them, that may have been the last game of their career

I think this is just team USA whining cause they have no chance for a medal so they think it should be changed.

I just think that if you let a pro into hockey, baseball, and basketball, they should allow pro's into all the events

These pros are not getting paid for playing in the olympics and are playing for themselves and their countryThey could have said no thanks, I don't want to get hurt and possible hurt my career, but they go anyways cause it means something to them to represent themselves and their country.

I for one would love it if we only sent the college kids. Sure they would get there arses kicked up and down the ice, but wouldn't it be great when (and it would happen) they kick some countries (pro) team? We Americans would relive 1980 everytime our "kids" kick some other nations pro team. I think it would be a blast. Yeah I realize the likelyhood of winnig a medal would go out the door, but hey it's not like our pros have brought back much hardware. And I also think that once we did it, I think after a couple olympiads either the the other countries would change or the pros would say screw it, this game is for the kids.

IMHO