If you are a player with a back-loaded contract

PromoTheRobot

I don't understand everything about NFL contracts, but it sure seems these days like if you sign a fat contract, all your money is back-loaded. So when the fat money year roles around, your team wants you to "restructure" so your money gets back-loaded again! Do today's ever really see all their money? Is the signing bonus the only REAL money they can count on?

The Eric Moulds situation has me wondering.

PTR

I don't understand everything about NFL contracts, but it sure seems these days like if you sign a fat contract, all your money is back-loaded.  So when the fat money year roles around, your team wants you to "restructure" so your money gets back-loaded again!  Do today's ever really see all their money?  Is the signing bonus the only REAL money they can count on?

PTR

605022[/snapback]

You raise a good question promo and a lot of it comes down to egos. Remember the $100 Million contract that Bledsoe signed in NE a few years ago? Both sides knew that that deal would never be completed, with ridiculous clauses like $7 Million roster bonuses. The agents have a big stake in this too. Even though they only get a cut of the signing bonus and any money earned in subsequent years, a guy like Drew Rosenhaus will go bragging to other potential clients on the size of the contracts he negotiated, even though none of it is gauranteed except for the sb.

I tend to think it's good to have that back loaded contract for a couple of reasons (relative to more 'fair' values) from the player's perspective.

1) You don't know how much salaries are going to escalate, so the last thing you want to be is locked in at under market values.

and 2) When it comes time that your contract/pay levels become prohibitive (i.e. your salary is for more than you're worth), it forms a starting point and gives you leverage in the renegotiation.

Gregg Easterbrook talks about this occasionally on his TMQ column (during the season, of course). He always brings up how NFL players typically only see a fraction of what they sign for. Usually, a big deal is made about how large a contract a player signs, but the reality is that contracts for the more expensive players rarely get beyond the first few years, after which most of the money is loaded.

Gregg Easterbrook talks about this occasionally on his TMQ column (during the season, of course). He always brings up how NFL players typically only see a fraction of what they sign for. Usually, a big deal is made about how large a contract a player signs, but the reality is that contracts for the more expensive players rarely get beyond the first few years, after which most of the money is loaded.

605089[/snapback]

He also mentioned how some of it is done just to make the agent look good and then a regular contract is renogtiated out of the public eye. He cited brunells contract at an example of this. Teams do a favor for the agent, then the agent does a favor for the team... the player gets screwed.

I tend to think it's good to have that back loaded contract for a couple of reasons (relative to more 'fair' values) from the player's perspective.

1)  You don't know how much salaries are going to escalate, so the last thing you want to be is locked in at under market values.

and 2) When it comes time that your contract/pay levels become prohibitive (i.e. your salary is for more than you're worth), it forms a starting point and gives you leverage in the renegotiation.

605072[/snapback]

A lot of times, it just gets you cut.

I don't understand everything about NFL contracts, but it sure seems these days like if you sign a fat contract, all your money is back-loaded.  So when the fat money year roles around, your team wants you to "restructure" so your money gets back-loaded again!  Do today's ever really see all their money?  Is the signing bonus the only REAL money they can count on?

PTR

605022[/snapback]

You've got a bit of misunderstanding about restructuring. When a contract is restructured, salary is converted to bonus money for that season, allowing the team to pro-rate the larger bonus over the remaining years of the contract. Restructuring pushes back the CAP HIT for a contract to the following years, not the real dollar bills.

You've got a bit of misunderstanding about restructuring. When a contract is restructured, salary is converted to bonus money for that season, allowing the team to pro-rate the larger bonus over the remaining years of the contract. Restructuring pushes back the CAP HIT for a contract to the following years, not the real dollar bills.

605158[/snapback]

Good point.