Scalia calls me an idiot

Well, not me personally, but those of us who think the US Constitution should be a "living document."

Johnny Coli is an idiot

People [this means you, Coli (added by editor)] who believe the Constitution would break if it didn't change with society are "idiots," U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia says.

I got a kick out of his referring to himself in the third person...like Bob Dole, or a mental patient.

"Scalia does have a philosophy, it's called originalism," he said. "That's what prevents him from doing the things he would like to do," he told more than 100 politicians and lawyers from this U.S. island territory.

While I don't think the US Constitution would break, I do think it should be interpreted with some flexibility when looking at it in the context of today. I do not think the founding fathers meant it to be an inflexible document that would rigidly stand the test of time. I believe the Constitution should evolve with the nation, using the original as a framework to be added to. Not evolving intio an executive branch power grab, like the current administration and half of the Supreme Court think, though.

I'll ask the Founding Fathers myself in a few years when we get the whole cloning thing down (May 25, 2009, but you didn't get that date from me).

Discuss...

Well, not me personally, but those of us who think the US Constitution should be a "living document."

Johnny Coli is an idiot

I got a kick out of his referring to himself in the third person...like Bob Dole, or a mental patient.

While I don't think the US Constitution would break, I do think it should be interpreted with some flexibility when looking at it in the context of today.  I do not think the founding fathers meant it to be an inflexible document that would rigidly stand the test of time.  I believe the Constitution should evolve with the nation, using the original as a framework to be added to.  Not evolving intio an executive branch power grab, like the current administration and half of the Supreme Court think, though. 

I'll ask the Founding Fathers myself in a few years when we get the whole cloning thing down (May 25, 2009, but you didn't get that date from me).

Discuss...

604843[/snapback]

Sorry, but I don't discuss things with idiots. :D

Discuss...

604843[/snapback]

Even when you clone the Founding Fathers, their original memories won't be embodied. Therefore, you still won't get a straight answer, since the clone's answers will be based on the clone's experiences in the modern world and not the original's, therefore their interpretation of the Constitution will be different, and Scalia will think them idiots...

Johnny Coli is an idiot

While I don't think the US Constitution would break, I do think it should be interpreted with some flexibility when looking at it in the context of today.  I do not think the founding fathers meant it to be an inflexible document that would rigidly stand the test of time.  I believe the Constitution should evolve with the nation, using the original as a framework to be added to.  Not evolving intio an executive branch power grab, like the current administration and half of the Supreme Court think, though. 

Discuss...

604843[/snapback]

I don't think any strict constructionist will argue that the constitution is an inflexible document. It is flexible and can be changed. The originators of the document even provided a means to change the document. It has been changed through the ammendment process many times in the past. Why don't you try the process they provided?

I don't think any strict constructionist will argue that the constitution is an inflexible document.  It is flexible and can be changed.  The originators of the document even provided a means to change the document.  It has been changed through the ammendment process many times in the past.  Why don't you try the process they provided?

605061[/snapback]

I'm not talking about changing the written document. Just the interpretation. I should have been more clear, or maybe talked in the third person, like Scalia.

Let's be clear. Johnny Coli loves the Constitution. Johnny Coli loves the amendment process. But Johnny Coli thinks interpreting that documant should be flexible with regards to evolving civil rights and liberties. Don't do drugs, and stay in school.

Let's be clear.  Johnny Coli loves the Constitution.  Johnny Coli loves the amendment process.  But Johnny Coli thinks interpreting that documant should be flexible with regards to evolving civil rights and liberties.  Don't do drugs, and stay in school.

605093[/snapback]

Wrong, again. If you don't like the inflexible nature, gather enough opposition to amend the darn inflexible document.

You're just crying about the executive/judicial interpretations because they run counter to your views. I bet you would have been perfectly happy with the set up during the JFK/LBJ era.

I'm not talking about changing the written document.  Just the interpretation.  I should have been more clear, or maybe talked in the third person, like Scalia.

Let's be clear.  Johnny Coli loves the Constitution.  Johnny Coli loves the amendment process.  But Johnny Coli thinks interpreting that documant should be flexible with regards to evolving civil rights and liberties.  Don't do drugs, and stay in school.

605093[/snapback]

What is an example of an evolving civil right or liberty?

605139[/snapback]

All of 'em?

Particularly the rights of minorities (or, more specifically, blacks) since the 15th. Last I checked, the rights enjoyed by blacks today evolved through Rosa Parks and Brown v. Board of Education from the 15th Amendment over the course of several decades, and not overnight.

All of 'em?

Particularly the rights of minorities (or, more specifically, blacks) since the 15th.  Last I checked, the rights enjoyed by blacks today evolved through Rosa Parks and Brown v. Board of Education from the 15th Amendment over the course of several decades, and not overnight.

605164[/snapback]

See, it works.

All of 'em?

Particularly the rights of minorities (or, more specifically, blacks) since the 15th.  Last I checked, the rights enjoyed by blacks today evolved through Rosa Parks and Brown v. Board of Education from the 15th Amendment over the course of several decades, and not overnight.

605164[/snapback]

good answer.

I am about to exercise my 21st amendment rights in about 30 minutes.

Those were absolute, abolished, then reappeared. It's my favorite amendment. One I can celebrate with my 15th amendment brothers and that 19th amendment crowd too. <_<

605139[/snapback]

8th Amendment and Youth executions. Over time shifting moral standards tended to view those under 18 as children rather than adults, or minority age was a factor that reduced culpabitity and made capital crimes for young teens "unusual"

<_<  :)

If the 15th "worked" that well, Brown v. Board of Edumacation wouldn't have been necessary.

605264[/snapback]

Wasn't that argued on the basis of the 14th amendment? Wasn't there at least a constitutional basis for the argument?