Outside the Lines Tonight

Chilly

You really have to wonder what the truth is with Nolan....

Im a big Nolan fan myself...but man to get blackballed that much after winning the Jack Adams award....I bet there is some dark secret that only a select few know about that has caused this to happen.

604635[/snapback]

Hot headed reputation. GMs think he is radioactive. Players think he is psychotic.

Hot headed reputation. GMs think he is radioactive. Players think he is psychotic.

604675[/snapback]

Some of the players really stood by his side though...Im not sure what to make of that...

Now of course there is this rumor that he slept with a player's wife (Hasek)...but how can a coach be blackballed for years because of that??? I mean to think that kind of incident has never happened in the past is being naive.

Wasn't there rumors of some bad relationship-type thing going on? Nolan with Hasek's wife or something crazy like that? I know Hasek didn't care for Nolan...that much I remember...and I'm guessing that played a role in the "contract negotiations."

Of course the real reason is that he's not a white chocolate American.

The Wildcats are the Number Rated Jr. team in Canada this season. They because of being the host will have automatic position in this years memorial cup. They just had their winning streak stopped at 14 games. Much was said about Moncton getting auto bid as they were projected to be a poor team. It looks like they very well may earn their place in the memorial cup on merit.

Here is a interesting story about the teams visit to New York City, the reasons why and their visit with former Sabre Pat Lafontaine.

Wildcats visit the big apple

- much has been said about him and Haseks wife. all of which he says is not true , but still is spoken of, and by hockey people. Both he and Muckler claim their problems not a issue. That likely true as many coaches general managers have had conflict , this happens often.

Some of the players really stood by his side though...

604707[/snapback]

Oh yes, being psychotic and being liked are not mutually exclusive. He also had a reputation of being physical with players to put them in line, or when calling them them out. Sometimes a reputation like that is useful, but combine that with an inability to cooperate with a GM and it spells poison.

I hope he gets back in the league, I think he is fascinating.

Oh yes, being psychotic and being liked are not mutually exclusive. He also had a reputation of being physical with players to put them in line, or when calling them them out. Sometimes a reputation like that is useful, but combine that with an inability to cooperate with a GM and it spells poison.

I hope he gets back in the league, I think he is fascinating.

604721[/snapback]

Oh from what we have heard, he was very tough on players...

Also heard a rumor that he was especially hard on Euro players....but again these are all rumors.

Maybe he was blackballed by Hasek and Muckler...also Nolan turned down an offer from TB about 5 months after he was let go by the Sabres...maybe Nolan should have taken an assistant job between now and 1998 and then he would have had an easier time of becoming a Head Coach again...like in the NFL...where fired coaches go back to assistant jobs again to re-prove themselves if you will.

Oh from what we have heard, he was very tough on players...

Also heard a rumor that he was especially hard on Euro players....but again these are all rumors.

Maybe he was blackballed by Hasek and Muckler...also Nolan turned down an offer from TB about 5 months after he was let go by the Sabres...maybe Nolan should have taken an assistant job between now and 1998 and then he would have had an easier time of becoming a Head Coach again...like in the NFL...where fired coaches go back to assistant jobs again to re-prove themselves if you will.

604723[/snapback]

Could be. There are tough coaches. Keenan for one always seems to resurface, which gives you the idea that there is more to Nolan's story than anyone hears. I think he at one time was asked if he would take the Ranger's job, but he always gave unrealistic conditions - he had to bring in all of his own people is the story.

The other part of it is exactly what kind of system did Nolan bring to Buffalo during the years he was here? I think it was have a great goaltender and punch the other team in the face, slog em out, and scrap. Good times.

Could be. There are tough coaches. Keenan for one always seems to resurface, which gives you the idea that there is more to Nolan's story than anyone hears. I think he at one time was asked if he would take the Ranger's job, but he always gave unrealistic conditions - he had to bring in all of his own people is the story.

The other part of it is exactly what kind of system did Nolan bring to Buffalo during the years he was here? I think it was have a great goaltender and punch the other team in the face, slog em out, and scrap. Good times.

604734[/snapback]

As you say, Kenan keeps resurfacing and EVERYBODY (seemingly) hates him. <_<

I really hate when people play the race card, but I think it might have some weight in this cause. The NHL is not a very diverse league. Can you imagine if a 40 something guy who got Coach of the Year in his 2nd or 3rd year couldn't get another job in the NFL, NBA, and MLB??? People would be going crazy. Regardless of not if the rumors of not getting along with the GM and being tough on players, it is insane that he hasn't gotten another job. It just seems wrong to me. <_<

I really hate when people play the race card, but I think it might have some weight in this cause.  The NHL is not a very diverse league.  Can you imagine if a 40 something guy who got Coach of the Year in his 2nd or 3rd year couldn't get another job in the NFL, NBA, and MLB???  People would be going crazy.  Regardless of not if the rumors of not getting along with the GM and being tough on players, it is insane that he hasn't gotten another job.  It just seems wrong to me.  <_<

605226[/snapback]

I think you need to come up with an NFL equivilant type coach, to make the comparison,

Ditka come to mind, but of course that is inexact. Who would really want Ditka coaching their investment?

I think you need to come up with an NFL equivilant type coach, to make the comparison,

Ditka come to mind, but of course that is inexact. Who would really want Ditka coaching their investment?

605234[/snapback]

Did some research and found some former coach of the year winners since 1980. I can't be 100 % sure but it seems the majority of the guys got jobs again. An interesting trivia question to impress your friends: What two years was Marv Levy named coach of the year? 1988 and 1993, two non-Super Bowl years. Things that make you umm. <_<

Year NFL Coach Team

1979 Sam Rutigliano Cleveland Browns Jack Pardee Washington Redskins

1980 Sam Rutigliano Cleveland Browns Leeman Bennett Atlanta Falcons

1981 Forrest Gregg Cincinnati Bengals Bill Walsh San Francisco 49ers

1982 Tom Flores Los Angeles Raiders Joe Gibbs Washington Redskins

1983 Chuck Knox Seattle Seahawks John Robinson Los Angeles Rams

1984 Chuck Knox Seattle Seahawks Bill Walsh San Francisco 49ers

1985 Raymond Berry New England Patriots Mike Ditka Chicago Bears

1986 Marty Schottenheimer Cleveland Browns Bill Parcells New York Giants

1987 Ron Meyer Indianapolis Colts Jim Mora New Orleans Saints

1988 Marv Levy Buffalo Bills Mike Ditka Chicago Bears

1989 Dan Reeves Denver Broncos Lindy Infante Green Bay Packers

1990 Art Shell Los Angeles Raiders Jimmy Johnson Dallas Cowboys

1991 Dan Reeves Denver Broncos Wayne Fontes Detroit Lions

1992 Bobby Ross San Diego Chargers Dennis Green Minnesota Vikings

1993 Marv Levy Buffalo Bills Dan Reeves New York Giants

1994 Bill Parcells New England Patriots Dave Wannstedt Chicago Bears

1995 Marty Schottenheimer Kansas City Chiefs Ray Rhodes Philadelphia Eagles

1996 Tom Coughlin Jacksonville Jaguars Dom Capers Carolina Panthers

1997 Jim Fassel New York Giants

1998 Dan Reeves Atlanta Falcons

1999 Dick Vermeil St. Louis Rams

2000 Jim Haslett New Orleans Saints

2001 Dick Jauron Chicago Bears

2002 Andy Reid Philadelphia Eagles

2003 Bill Belichick New England Patriots

2004 Marty Schottenheimer San Diego Chargers

2005 Lovie Smith Chicago Bears

I really hate when people play the race card, but I think it might have some weight in this cause.  The NHL is not a very diverse league.  Can you imagine if a 40 something guy who got Coach of the Year in his 2nd or 3rd year couldn't get another job in the NFL, NBA, and MLB???  People would be going crazy.  Regardless of not if the rumors of not getting along with the GM and being tough on players, it is insane that he hasn't gotten another job.  It just seems wrong to me.  <_<

605226[/snapback]

Or just MAYBE, the guy doesn't have an NHL head coaching gig because he turned down 2 offers to be a head coach (Buffalo and Tampa Bay) and has turned down at least 1 offer to be an assistant coach.

Throw that on top of not getting along with your front office (it was so obvious that he and Muckler couldn't coexist, that Muckler got fired) and your best player, and then I think we might have a reason WHY the guy isn't an NHL head coach.

It MUST be because he's an Indian. :):doh::doh:

Or just MAYBE, the guy doesn't have an NHL head coaching gig because he turned down 2 offers to be a head coach (Buffalo and Tampa Bay) and has turned down at least 1 offer to be an assistant coach.

Throw that on top of not getting along with your front office (it was so obvious that  he and Muckler couldn't coexist, that Muckler got fired) and your best player, and then I think we might have a reason WHY the guy isn't an NHL head coach.

It MUST be because he's an Indian.    <_<  :)  :doh:

605274[/snapback]

When did he turn down Buffalo?

The Sabres/Darcy gave him an offer of a 1 year extension.  He ignored it for about 3 weeks and the Sabres eventually withdrew it and signed Lindy.

605289[/snapback]

Interesting. I thought he just got the boot. So he didn't say no...just didn't answer in time?

i did that once, too!