Iron City being pitched as Premium Beer?

AKC

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got to be kidding me.

In college I drank Natty Boh, American and Milwaukees Beast. And even *I* wouldn't have touched an IC.

That's quite possibly the worst beer ever brewed.

604610[/snapback]

Nah, it wasn't too bad at all. I had that and Pete's Cream Ale, and liked Iron City better.

I liked it more then Natty Ice or Steel Reserve.

(you really didn't drink iron city did you?)

Nothin wrong with a nice Shiner Bock from deep in the heart of Texas.  As for the "premium" beers Rolling Rock is marketed in that category.  I haven't had it since high school though. 

For those of you who may be sensitive in nature HEB is a grocery chain in these here parts.

604617[/snapback]

Not a huge fan of dark beers, so I'm not a huge Shiner Bock fan. Shiner Blonde is okay, not great though. Ziegenbock isn't very good either, and its brewed by AB.

There was a beer out of Austin called Celis. Started by a guy from one of the better Belgian breweries. I think they have since been bought out, but you can probably still find it.

604622[/snapback]

I might have to give that a shot. <_<

You know, when funds are VERY low, a Steel Reserve can be a man's best friend (well...a man's good friend, anyway).  99 cents for a 22oz bottle of 7.1 proof beer.  It actually has flavor (I'm not saying good flavor...but, it tastes of something, anyway).  When I was too poor to pay attention, I drank a lot of that beer.  It's one of your best buzz values.

As for Stroh's (mentioned by another poster) that was pretty good for mass produced beer, IMO, when it was fire-brewed in Detroit.  It tasted particularly good on tap.  I think Stroh's now is just a label on generic beer, though.

604842[/snapback]

<_< I've been there.

I just had a fantastic Ole Ale the other night that a friend brewed so that style might be coming up soon on my to-brew list.  I have been very busy brewing the past few months.  I currently have a weizenbock and an English brown ale on tap, an imperial pils lagering, two different IPA's in secondary and a blueberry wheat in secondary (gotta keep the wife happy!).  I hope to squeeze in a brew this weekend, if I do I will use the Simcoe and Warrior hops that just arrived to try to make a Dogfish Head 90 clone.

605103[/snapback]

Had a good time at the homebrew club meeting last night. My Trippel was a hit. We also had a barley wine, wheat wine and someone brought in a bottle of Rodenbach. Not bad for a sour. The owner of the LHBS we met at brought out a bottle of Victory's V12. If you have never tried this, you need to go out and find a bottle.

Then we went down to Iron Hill brewery to drop off the entries for the War of the Worts tomorrow (314 entries as of last night). The brewmaster was there and brought out a growler of Russian Imperial Stout (yet to be released to the public). It was a blend with a bourbon barrel. I finished off the night with a pint of their Kryptonite IIPA. You would have liked it. 9%abv and 129 IBU's!!!. The brewmaster said that he used all the "C's" for bittering: Centennial, Cascade and Chinook (he seemed to be missing a few C's). He also dry hopped with Amarillo and Centennial and used a crap-load of malt to give it some backbone so that you would not burn off all of your tongue (just part of it).

Had a good time at the homebrew club meeting last night. My Trippel was a hit. We also had a barley wine, wheat wine and someone brought in a bottle of Rodenbach. Not bad for a sour. The owner of the LHBS we met at brought out a bottle of Victory's V12. If you have never tried this, you need to go out and find a bottle.

Then we went down to Iron Hill brewery to drop off the entries for the War of the Worts tomorrow (314 entries as of last night). The brewmaster was there and brought out a growler of Russian Imperial Stout (yet to be released to the public). It was a blend with a bourbon barrel. I finished off the night with a pint of their Kryptonite IIPA. You would have liked it. 9%abv and 129 IBU's!!!. The brewmaster said that he used all the "C's" for bittering: Centennial, Cascade and Chinook (he seemed to be missing a few C's). He also dry hopped with Amarillo and Centennial and used a crap-load of malt to give it some backbone so that you would not burn off all of your tongue (just part of it).

605473[/snapback]

Hey, KRC...you oughtta bring the old lady up to the Valley and we'll go out to dinner at the Bethlehem Brew Works. Their Imperial Stouts and Lambics are beyond compare. The Rude Elf Reserve is also a fun beer.

Hey, KRC...you oughtta bring the old lady up to the Valley and we'll go out to dinner at the Bethlehem Brew Works. Their Imperial Stouts and Lambics are beyond compare. The Rude Elf Reserve is also a fun beer.

605477[/snapback]

We will have to arrange something when Kristy feels better. If we still have the golf outing with the midget this summer, we can go to Victory Brewing. I do not know how their food is, but you will not be disappointed with the beer.

We will have to arrange something when Kristy feels better. If we still have the golf outing with the midget this summer, we can go to Victory Brewing. I do not know how their food is, but you will not be disappointed with the beer.

605479[/snapback]

Sounds good to me.

I know that they used Simcoe in that, but do they also use Warrior or is that just your interpretation?

I need to do an IPA or IIPA soon. I may start with Victory's Hop Devil as a basis, but "tweek" it. Centennial and Cascade seem to go real well together, which is what is in Hop Devil. I am also a fan of Magnum and Willamette together. Hmmm...

605118[/snapback]

Centennial and Cascade is a great IPA hop combo. I have done that many times.

From what I have read and the clone recipes I have seen online DFH 90 uses Amarillo, Simcoe and Warrior. I have had the amarillo hops for awhile, but just got the Warrior and Simcoe in this week. A friend brewed a clone using the above hops and it was spot on. I have experimented alot with IPA's in the last 6 months. I did an all amarillo IPA which was good but it suffered because I thought I used C60 but it turned out it was C120 and it was a little too sweet. I have an Amarillo / Centennial carbing up right now and I have a wheat IPA experiment in secondary that used Magnum / Amarillo /Centennial with a huge Cascade dry hop.

Have you every tried Victory's double IPA Hop Wallop? I was a little disappointed in it myself, it wasn't as nicely balanced as DFH in my opinion.

Centennial and Cascade is a great IPA hop combo.  I have done that many times.

That is the combo I use in my Amber. It works very well. It would not be a problem for me to take my Amber and bump it up to an IPA. Increase the hops, add more aroma hops and increase the OG and it is pretty close to an IPA.

From what I have read and the clone recipes I have seen online DFH 90 uses Amarillo, Simcoe and Warrior.  I have had the amarillo hops for awhile, but just got the Warrior and Simcoe in this week.  A friend brewed a clone using the above hops and it was spot on.  I have experimented alot with IPA's in the last 6 months.  I did an all amarillo IPA which was good but it suffered because I thought I used C60 but it turned out it was C120 and it was a little too sweet.  I have an Amarillo / Centennial carbing up right now and I have a wheat IPA experiment in secondary that used Magnum / Amarillo /Centennial with a huge Cascade dry hop.

I thought that there was some Amarillo in there, but I was not sure on the Warrior.

Have you every tried Victory's double IPA Hop Wallop?  I was a little disappointed in it myself, it wasn't as nicely balanced as DFH in my opinion.

605534[/snapback]

Not yet. That is one I want to try. Victory is about an hour away. I will have to stop by sometime to try it. The Hop Devil seemed a little dry to me. Is it the same with Hop Wallop?

Victory is about an hour away. I will have to stop by sometime to try it. The Hop Devil seemed a little dry to me. Is it the same with Hop Wallop?

605543[/snapback]

Doesn't Victory brew Storm King? Regardless it's a primo brew.

Funny you say that - Rolling Rock is another beer that used to be a crappy beer but is now marketed as upscale and cool. all that matters is the marketing.

604455[/snapback]

You can say that again.

Question... That I never truly got an answer. Is Jim Koch (Sam Adams) related to the family that used to brew Koch's beer (Dunkirk, New York)? Didn't they (Koch's) used to sell the "no name" "beer" in the plain yellow packaging?

:P

When I lived in the area, I visited the Latrobe brewery. That was back before the GAA!!! alcohol for free! Oh No!, we will be sued!!! days...

I and my cohorts got pleasantly snockered thanks to the kind folks there. :doh:

604944[/snapback]

Straub still does that. Of course, you have to be able to find St. Marys first...

Doesn't Victory brew Storm King? Regardless it's a primo brew.

606167[/snapback]

Yup. Storm King

On a personal LAMP note, I won second place for my American Amber Ale in the War of the Worts Homebrew competition. Lost by a point. :doh:

Overall, it was a good day. 322 entries overall, with 9 in my category. Since I was a steward, I got to taste all of the good stuff. :P

Yup. Storm King

On a personal LAMP note, I won second place for my American Amber Ale in the War of the Worts Homebrew competition. Lost by a point.  :devil:

Overall, it was a good day. 322 entries overall, with 9 in my category. Since I was a steward, I got to taste all of the good stuff.  :devil:

606645[/snapback]

Congrats on the brew bling, KRC.

Yup. Storm King

On a personal LAMP note, I won second place for my American Amber Ale in the War of the Worts Homebrew competition. Lost by a point.  :devil:

Overall, it was a good day. 322 entries overall, with 9 in my category. Since I was a steward, I got to taste all of the good stuff.  :devil:

606645[/snapback]

Awesome KRC! I'm going to enter my English Brown Ale in a competition next month. I feel it's one of my best brews in years, but it's a relatively easy style category. We'll see how it goes.

Awesome KRC!  I'm going to enter my English Brown Ale in a competition next month.  I feel it's one of my best brews in years, but it's a relatively easy style category.  We'll see how it goes.

606755[/snapback]

Thanks!!

I just racked my trippel to secondary. Nailed the FG (1.017) and the taste is wonderful. Clarity is superb, but the color is a little dark (brown to copper). This would probably kill me if I entered it as a trippel. Do you think that it should be entered as a Belgian Specialty (16E)? Everything else fits the trippel style but the color.

Best of luck to you on your entry. Let us know how you do.

I stopped by my favorite chef's supply this afternoon Surfas and noticed 10 or 12 cases of Iron City piled up in an aisle. I went to the manager and asked him to fill me in on the joke- and tell me what they could possibly be selling it for. He looked it up in their computer and when he found no results we cracked a case of it- Iron City box and Iron City printed 6-pack cardboards. Luckily the actual bottles were some soda from Atlanta called "Moxie" instead of the railroad worker's favorite dirt cheap brew. I remember taking chugs off the bum's Iron City quarts while sneaking a smoke under the rail overpass growing up. Thank god my tastes have "matured" ;-)

604374[/snapback]

W/ PITTSBURGH WOMEN IT'S MORE LIKE "IRON T#TTIES!"