Iron City being pitched as Premium Beer?

AKC

I stopped by my favorite chef's supply this afternoon Surfas and noticed 10 or 12 cases of Iron City piled up in an aisle. I went to the manager and asked him to fill me in on the joke- and tell me what they could possibly be selling it for. He looked it up in their computer and when he found no results we cracked a case of it- Iron City box and Iron City printed 6-pack cardboards. Luckily the actual bottles were some soda from Atlanta called "Moxie" instead of the railroad worker's favorite dirt cheap brew. I remember taking chugs off the bum's Iron City quarts while sneaking a smoke under the rail overpass growing up. Thank god my tastes have "matured" ;-)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped by my favorite chef's supply this afternoon Surfas and noticed 10 or 12 cases of Iron City piled up in an aisle. I went to the manager and asked him to fill me in on the joke- and tell me what they could possibly be selling it for. He looked it up in their computer and when he found no results we cracked a case of it- Iron City box and Iron City printed 6-pack cardboards. Luckily the actual bottles were some soda from Atlanta called "Moxie" instead of the railroad worker's favorite dirt cheap brew. I remember taking chugs off the bum's Iron City quarts while sneaking a smoke under the rail overpass growing up. Thank god my tastes have "matured" ;-)

604374[/snapback]

I thought it was "Arn City" beer.

Though in college, we just called it "Iron sh-------". And drank it anyway.

Many years ago my physician and I went to Pittsburg to see a Pirates game at Three Rivers Stadium. We arrived very early and decided to hit a local bar to kill a couple of hours. We arrived and were clearly VERY out-of-place...but, it was a bar, so we were staying. (We were pretty faced when we arrived and I think it may have showed.)

I believe I was drinking whiskey and water and the Doc was into vodka and tonic. As soon as we ordered, we noticed EVERY person had an Iron City in front of them. As we wanted to fit in, we also ordered an IC...just to keep in front of us...as a gesture of good will, I guess.

It seemed to all be working fine, til they threw us out for smoking a joint at the bar. :doh:

BTW, IMO, Iron City is (while, not good) better than Genny, Bud and Miller. But, it's no Rolling Rock!

Many years ago my physician and I went to Pittsburg to see a Pirates game at Three Rivers Stadium. 

BTW, IMO, Iron City is (while, not good) better than Genny, Bud and Miller.  But, it's no Rolling Rock!

604412[/snapback]

Last time I was at Three Rivers was for a pre-season Raiders-Steelers game ('94? Don't ask). Ice beer was all the rage at the time, so everyone had an IC Ice. When in Rome*. Note: I never needed a doctor, though. :doh:

I once saw Mike Schmidt hit an HR at Three Rivers. I was 9. Ah memories.

I had a Rock a couple of weeks ago. It still had a bit of a 'skunk' to it, but I agree Dean, it's better than that majors.

* 'When in Rome' is the name of the band that performs the sappy 80s ballad at the end of "Napoleon Dynamite". (You never know when you might need that information.)

Last time I was at Three Rivers was for a pre-season Raiders-Steelers game ('94? Don't ask).  Ice beer was all the rage at the time, so everyone had an IC Ice.  When in Rome*.  Note:  I never needed a doctor, though.  :doh:

I once saw Mike Schmidt hit an HR at Three Rivers.  I was 9.  Ah memories. 

I had a Rock a couple of weeks ago.  It still had a bit of a 'skunk' to it, but I agree Dean, it's better than that majors.

* 'When in Rome' is the name of the band that performs the sappy 80s ballad at the end of "Napoleon Dynamite".  (You never know when you might need that information.)

604420[/snapback]

Thanks for the info. "Pedro", and the director of Napoleon Dynamite are doing some stuff for the cable net I work for...maybe I can use that tidbit.

Not to play, one-upsmanship...BUT, I saw Stargell hit one OUT of Forbes Field as a kid (it was my first professional sporting event). Also saw the great Clemente several times at 3 Rivers.

I'll get a Rock from time-to-time if I'm looking to drink something lighter. I often buy 7oz Rock ponies for my fridge. i LOVE splits. (OV Splits, RIP :P )

Many years ago my physician and I went to Pittsburg to see a Pirates game at Three Rivers Stadium.  We arrived very early and decided to hit a local bar to kill a couple of hours.  We arrived and were clearly VERY out-of-place...but, it was a bar, so we were staying.  (We were pretty faced when we arrived and I think it may have showed.)

I believe I was drinking whiskey and water and the Doc was into vodka and tonic.  As soon as we ordered, we noticed EVERY person had an Iron City in front of them.  As we wanted to fit in, we also ordered an IC...just to keep in front of us...as a gesture of good will, I guess.

604412[/snapback]

Me and the missus are out with new friends on the Valley a few years back, in a hole right outside the Anheiser Busch brewery called I believe the Hideaway. As stories begin to flow Sheri mentions something about a recent wet fart and the couple we're sitting with begins to get visibly uncomfortable, which of course incites me to push the subject. I get the couple to make the claim that "niether of us has ever wet fart" and after assessing the crowd in the bar as workers from ABusch I offered to prove the couple were freaks- they foolishly accepted my challenge. As I stepped up to the bar I began a conversation with the bartender asking "can you believe these two claim to have never stojaned their pants after a round or two with Jack Daniels?-

I swear EVERYONE in the bar came forward IMMEDIATELY with some story like "so I'm at an SC game wearing a trench coat, it's raining like hell and I clearly am not going to make the bathroom...."

A simple case of knowing your surroundings ;-)

I'll expect to see you at the draft party this year in Pine Mountain- the usual suspects and some "surprise" guests!

Me and the missus are out with new friends on the Valley a few years back, in a hole right outside the Anheiser Busch brewery called I believe the Hideaway. As stories begin to flow Sheri mentions something about a recent wet fart and the couple we're sitting with begins to get visibly uncomfortable, which of course incites me to push the subject. I get the couple to make the claim that "niether of us has ever wet fart" and after assessing the crowd in the bar as workers from ABusch I offered to prove the couple were freaks-  they foolishly accepted my challenge. As I stepped up to the bar I began a conversation with the bartender asking "can you believe these two claim to have never stojaned their pants after a round or two with Jack Daniels?-

I swear EVERYONE in the bar came forward IMMEDIATELY with some story like "so I'm at an SC game wearing a trench coat, it's raining like hell and I clearly am not going to make the bathroom...."

A simple case of knowing your surroundings ;-)

I'll expect to see you at the draft party this year in Pine Mountain- the usual suspects and some "surprise" guests!

604440[/snapback]

GREAT story. I'll refrain from sharing mine. Suffice it to say, it wasn't pretty.

That's where the whole "ditch" story took place...no? End of April SHOULD be pertty good for me assuming I'm still alive and still employed. (Start the betting action, boys.)

Funny you say that - Rolling Rock is another beer that used to be a crappy beer but is now marketed as upscale and cool. all that matters is the marketing.

604455[/snapback]

Dunno 'bout the rest of the country, but in SF, Pabst Blue Ribbon is swilled by young posers all over town. Almost all the bars have it. Pabst...really.

That's where the whole "ditch" story took place...no?    End of April SHOULD be pertty good for me assuming I'm still alive and still employed.  (Start the betting action, boys.)

604452[/snapback]

Yeah, that's the locale. Big Bob is the Master at Arms for the action that weekend so if you plan to get in trouble wait until the later hours-

On the date- I'm betting you're in good shape- I noticed your boy Al doing another round of venture capitalization overseas last week ;-)

604374[/snapback]

I had it the other day and me and my roommate thought it was pretty damn good.

Better then the usual we get in Texas, natty ice and steel reserve.

On a similar note. When I first moved to Atlanta, Three Dollar Cafe in Buckhead had Genny Cream Ale listed as a British Import...and yes I did order it to verify it was truly Scream Ale.

604554[/snapback]

I can get Genny Cream Ale for 9 a 6-pack here in Austin, at the North HEB only, during certain times of the year (not all the time)

Dunno 'bout the rest of the country, but in SF, Pabst Blue Ribbon is swilled by young posers all over town.  Almost all the bars have it.  Pabst...really.

604460[/snapback]

The Draft Party "Wide Body - aka Master of Arms" brings PBR and RR with him -

The Draft HQ has RR in the house -

I wouldn't touch an IC with your tounge :doh:

Dunno 'bout the rest of the country, but in SF, Pabst Blue Ribbon is swilled by young posers all over town.  Almost all the bars have it.  Pabst...really.

PBR on tap is actually not bad............ :doh: