New Subject?

Thanks, Deb. Nice to see you too.

This was just some idle office conversation that came about while some people who are frequently at Capitol Hill were by the place on other business. I don't know how it got started. I don't follow politics very much, they were talking about McCain, and I was just wondering myself about the Hillary angle.

Unless something drastic happens, I don't see Hillary running on her own at this point. It's 2006. 2008 isn't that far out, and she hasn't been in the limelight much.

Or, does the DNC feel that because she's Hillary she doesn't need to be? If she were actually going to run - and that's been decided, I would think they would have her visibly leading the charge on more legislation and stuff.

604294[/snapback]

I'm not sure she's running. I think she's a decoy. Get them all to gear up and arm for her, then spring a dark horse on 'em.

I am in Dallas this week. Lucky me.

If McCain goes to the Democratic party and becomes the '08 Candidate - is this Hillary's road into the White House (as VP)? Or, would she be enough of an anchor to cost him the sure win?

604201[/snapback]

Interesting to speculate about. I think these are the two front runners right now. You'd have to wonder who the republicans would put up against them. Jeb's not going to be hot, because I think a lot of Americans are ready to not see a Bush name for a while. I still think McCain has a better shot at the Whitehouse by staying a republican. Yep, it's time to start thinking about 2008.

If McCain goes to the Democratic party and becomes the '08 Candidate - is this Hillary's road into the White House (as VP)? Or, would she be enough of an anchor to cost him the sure win?

604201[/snapback]

I can't imagine him switching parties. Hillary will run, lose a few primaries early and drop out. Whoever the democratic nominee is will choose another VP. NY is going to be in the democratic column anyway, what electoral votes would Hillary bring in that aren't going to the democrats anyway? Could she bring in enough women voters to cancel out the male voters she would lose for the dems? I highly doubt it. I hear much more talk about her candidacy from republicans than I do among democrats.

I keep waiting for McCain to distance himself from Bush but he is another one of these "independent" republicans who are "deeply troubled" and who have "grave concerns" over this or that administration screw up. When push comes to shove though, they enthusiastically geld themselves. Really, having three branches of government was such a bother. So much simpler to just have one.