I have a question that will probably be moved to

The Poojer

why are we, as a country, so focused on proving something wrong rather than building on the experience and do better the next time. Specifically, the Katrina inquests. This was a terrible tragedy and I am sure that mistakes were made, but how do you prepare for something that catastrophic. It seems that everyone is so hell bent on villifying Brown, Chertoff, the administration etc..., if this was a brainstorm to get it "more right" the next time, god for bid, then fine, but to me it seems it is all about someone made to look bad!

why are we, as a country, so focused on proving something wrong rather than building on the experience and do better the next time.  Specifically, the Katrina inquests.  This was a terrible tragedy and I am sure that mistakes were made, but how do you prepare for something that catastrophic.  It seems that everyone is so hell bent on villifying Brown, Chertoff, the administration etc..., if this was a brainstorm to get it "more fight" the next time, god for bid, then fine, but to me it seems it is all about someone made to look bad!

603927[/snapback]

People want to fix blame whenever something goes wrong. There are several reasons for this, including (but not limited to):

1) You need a person to blame in order to file lawsuits.

2) It makes people feel better if they can find someone to blame (other than themselves) for what happened.

3) If it is a political thingy, you can get some serious political points if you can find a way to blame the people you compete against.

As far as building on experience, that is exactly what they are doing now, regarding Katrina. Hell, there is a person on this board who was responsible for finding things that went wrong so that it can be improved in the future.

why are we, as a country, so focused on proving something wrong rather than building on the experience and do better the next time.  Specifically, the Katrina inquests.  This was a terrible tragedy and I am sure that mistakes were made, but how do you prepare for something that catastrophic.  It seems that everyone is so hell bent on villifying Brown, Chertoff, the administration etc..., if this was a brainstorm to get it "more right" the next time, god for bid, then fine, but to me it seems it is all about someone made to look bad!

603927[/snapback]

sort of like NFL teams blaming refs for losing Super Bowls..fat people blaming McDonalds for being fat...smokers blaming big tobacco for giving them cancer...lazy people blaming their bosses for keeping them down...idiot parents blaming teachers for their stupid kids...it is ALWAYS someone elses fault

why are we, as a country, so focused on proving something wrong rather than building on the experience and do better the next time.  Specifically, the Katrina inquests.  This was a terrible tragedy and I am sure that mistakes were made, but how do you prepare for something that catastrophic.  It seems that everyone is so hell bent on villifying Brown, Chertoff, the administration etc..., if this was a brainstorm to get it "more right" the next time, god for bid, then fine, but to me it seems it is all about someone made to look bad!

603927[/snapback]

Well especially with the media's arch rivals in power for now....the media will do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to bring down the administration....sure the Administration has faults...but do we ever hear about good things? Hmmmm I wonder why?

Here is the majority of the media's focus:

1. Root for death and destruction to the side they hate.

2. Point fingers, blame ONLY them for God's natural works

Considering their failure to anticipate what was coming, failure to deal with what came, failure to provide meaningful relief when it came, widespread corruption in the aftermath, an inquest sounds like a pretty good idea to me. I don't think Brownie did a hell of a job, don't think Chartoff did a hell of a job, and I think a LOT of money was poorly spent and we should try to figure out how not to make the same mistakes in the future. Making someone look bad would not be a really difficult assignment. Kinding of like shooting...oh...never mind.

People want to fix blame whenever something goes wrong. There are several reasons for this, including (but not limited to):

1) You need a person to blame in order to file lawsuits.

2) It makes people feel better if they can find someone to blame (other than themselves) for what happened.

3) If it is a political thingy, you can get some serious political points if you can find a way to blame the people you compete against.

As far as building on experience, that is exactly what they are doing now, regarding Katrina. Hell, there is a person on this board who was responsible for finding things that went wrong so that it can be improved in the future.

603935[/snapback]

Or, in the immortal words of Sir Andrew of Sheppard:

We have serious problems to solve, and we need serious people to solve them. And whatever your particular problem is, I promise you Bob Rumson is not the least bit interested in solving it. He is interested in two things, and two things only: making you afraid of it, and telling you who's to blame for it. That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you win elections.

Considering their failure to anticipate what was coming, failure to deal with what came, failure to provide meaningful relief when it came, widespread corruption in the aftermath, an inquest sounds like a pretty good idea to me.  I don't think Brownie did a hell of a job, don't think Chartoff did a hell of a job, and I think a LOT of money was poorly spent and we should try to figure out how not to make the same mistakes in the future. Making someone look bad would not be a really difficult assignment. Kinding of like shooting...oh...never mind.

604043[/snapback]

Seems FEMA, with Brown, did a fair job with the 6 proceeding hurricanes that hit Fla.

Floridians, and the Fla. state government actually heeded the weather projections and acted beforehand.

Best you look to the attitude of the N.O. citizenry and the State of Louisiana's political machine for answers. Unless you think the Federal government expressly exists to be their Daddy, and somehow, folks in the other 49 states have more inherent brains and stupidity is prized in that State.

603935[/snapback]

And said person's work has been used by politicians to apportion blame as well. Rather than improve procedure, as was intended.

603927[/snapback]

This thread got moved as I was trying to respond :devil: good call.... 0:)

I believe the fact that 1 in 3 "claims" regarding Katrina and the aftermath are proving to be false pretty much sums up why the situation is what it is.

Well especially with the media's arch rivals in power for now....the media will do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to bring down the administration....sure the Administration has faults...but do we ever hear about good things?  Hmmmm I wonder why?

Here is the majority of the media's focus:

1. Root for death and destruction to the side they hate.

2. Point fingers, blame ONLY them for God's natural works

603953[/snapback]

Wrong.

The media's focus is "what will make us money today?" If it's Dick Cheney hugging babies and petting fuzzy dogs, you can bet your ass they'll air it. If it's Clinton parsing words about a BJ, you can bet they'll air it. If I engage the police in a unicycle chase, CNN airs it and people stop for a few extra seconds and see a Chevy ad, they're going to look for more unicycle chases to air.

It's pretty simple. $en$ationali$m + viewership = more sensationalism. And the wheel goes round.

Then again, if we stop watching TV and buying things we don't need, the terrorists win.

Sad, isn't it?

604078[/snapback]

Yup. Sure is, isn't it?

BTW, here's a link to the report.

Katrina

If nothing else, read the executive summary. It's enough to make me puke. Not because of whatever failures were there, but because of the tones and intentions. I'm not surprised at all that this was a Republican based event.

God, I hate politics.

Oh, like YOU have any knowledge about the subject.  :doh:  You should leave such important things to the consideration of people who know something about it: our elected representatives.

604331[/snapback]

I'm pretty certain that there are people here who understand what an executive summary in a government issued document is intended to do, and also that there are some who have probably written them.

This is maybe not despicable, but it is certainly self serving.

I'm pretty certain that there are people here who understand what an executive summary in a government issued document is intended to do, and also that there are some who have probably written them.

604340[/snapback]

It's intended to give the media something that will distract them from actually reading the body of the document, thus insuring we never get any informed reporting.

Or is that just a bonus? :doh: