Re: the black coaches debate:

This quite is taken from a New Yorker article about why some blogs succeed and others don't. I think it's also germane to the black coaching dilemma in the NFL:

"The power law is dominant because of a quirk of human behavior: When we are asked to decide among a dizzying array of options, we do not act like dispassionate decision-makers, weighing each option on its own merits. Movie producers pick stars who have already been employed by other producers. Investors give money to entrepreneurs who are already loaded with cash. Popularity breeds popularity."

Discuss.

Which how exactly explains why about eight white noname nobodies and the one black guy everyone had heard of but nobody liked were the ones that got jobs? (Excluding the trade of course)

603732[/snapback]

I didn't see this discussed anywhere else, so I'll say it here. I think it's a shame that Art Shell took the Raiders' job. That situation is going to be very hard to turn around, and he will be axed quickly (two years is my guess). That'll give all the bobbleheads on ESPN the ammunition to say, "See, that's why he wasn't hired all those years."