Can Moulds & Losman coexist?

JÂy RÛßeÒ

After Moulds pretty much threw JP under the bus and threatened a veteran mutiny last season, JP pretty much ignored him when he got back into the lineup.

Can they mend fences? Does Moulds even want to? At this point I wouldn't be surprised if EM goes for a quick shot at the trophy.

After Moulds pretty much threw JP under the bus and threatened a veteran mutiny last season, JP pretty much ignored him when he got back into the lineup.

Can they mend fences?  Does Moulds even want to?  At this point I wouldn't be surprised if EM goes for a quick shot at the trophy.

603492[/snapback]

I like Moulds as much as the next guy but I'd part with him so long we can find a veteran UFA to replace him. As he'll be 33 on opening day which means his best days are behind him. Whereas (hopefully) JP's best days are in front of him. Though the truth is truly don't feel we have a viable replacement on the current roster and don't see Lee Evans being a sure fire #1 WR in the NFL (I've always likened Lee to Terry Glenn who seems better suited as a #1A/#2). Hence my feelings if we do part ways with Moulds it be best to sign a David Givens or Antonio Bryant to replace him. I've also mentioned Isaac Bruce as a potential cap casualty but like Moulds might be a short term answer when the other WRs mentioned could be long term solutions and while feel we could be 8-8 next season with some improvements elsewhere think better to look long term than short.

This is all conjecture, from all of us, but my read on this is that as of today, Eric Moulds has no idea where he is going to play or wants to play and won't know until a week into free agency. It's possible that the Bills offer him a pretty decent deal and he takes it before that, but I doubt it. He likely has a great want to stay here and retire as a Bill. He has said it before that he wants to be one of those guys that plays on one team his entire career.

He knows fortunes of teams can change overnight. He won't know which teams will seriously make a bid for him in FA. And if those teams are serious contenders for a SB. So he probably has no idea right now and feels strongly about 3-4 different ways (stay a Bill, go for my last best contract, play for a good coach with an awesome QB, sign with the best team regardless of the cash, etc) He won't know what he thinks until he is faced with all of the exact parameters of the offers, and options, or lackthereof, until they are right there. he may think he'll feel one way now and when it actually comes down to it change his mind.

Furthermore, I have zero reason to believe that Moulds doesn't like Losman. I have zero reason to believe that this mutiny, if we can call it that, happened before the Atlanta game or even the New Orleans game. I think it happened not because the Bills handed the ball to Losman without a battle, but rather only after they saw the fear in his eyes in game two or three or four when everything was going wrong, their defense was no longer healthy or good, and the line was hurting, and the Titanic was sinking. I think that is when Moulds turned on him completely. And only because Moulds was so very frustrated with what was happening to the twilight of his career and career with the Bills when he went into this season with such high hopes.

So I don't think it is a personal thing. I don't think he really wants Holcomb in there more. I think he wants good quarterback play. And if Losman comes out a lot more comfortable because he's had an extra year. And if the offense is better taken care of. I would think that Moulds could easily co-exist with Losman, and catch a bunch of balls downfield from him. Success wipes almost everything clean.

I understand Eric's cap figure issue in this coming year, but Eric is not a FA unless he gets cut, no? No offers will be forthcoming until that point.

603506[/snapback]

True but the Bills are very likely going to make a decision on him before FA, so they know how much money they will have to spend and because without Moulds they have to go after a WR in free agency. It would almost be a must.

True but the Bills are very likely going to make a decision on him before FA, so they know how much money they will have to spend and because without Moulds they have to go after a WR in free agency. It would almost be a must.

603507[/snapback]

Good point. I guess that would be the likely course of action.

Success wipes almost everything clean.

603502[/snapback]

Really good post, and I think in the end, unfortunately, success is all that matters.

Personally, you can't ignore the differences on the Marvometer when asked first about Clements and then about Moulds. I got the impression from his interview that he is willing to lose Moulds and start fresh. Maybe that means he picks up someone cheaper in free agency, but I got the impression where Moulds is concerned, Marv plans on handling that on his own terms, regardless of the outcome.

And that's why I think your post is good (for a newbie). Until Moulds knows where he stands in free agency...and that won't happen for a while...there's nothing he can do about it beyond keeping his mouth shut and letting the clock tick.

And that's why I think your post is good (for a newbie). Until Moulds knows where he stands in free agency...and that won't happen for a while...there's nothing he can do about it beyond keeping his mouth shut and letting the clock tick.

603514[/snapback]

Actually I heard he was last seen at the Buffalo auto show scouting out a new Mercedes Benz. I didn't post it in my original thoughts as didn't think was worth noting but thought it throw it in here. 0:)

603507[/snapback]

I'm pretty much assuming it'll be up to EM whether he stays or goes. The Bills will offer him a restructuring which, if he declines, will mean he will be cut.

I'm pretty much assuming it'll be up to EM whether he stays or goes.  The Bills will offer him a restructuring which, if he declines, will mean he will be cut.

603531[/snapback]

Sure. But it's also a two way street. They will know if they are offering him a real deal or just a laughable deal. And what they offer will give him an indication of if they seriously want him back or not. Plus, the offer they give in the restructuring may be difficult for him to tell if he is going to get much better money out there. It's difficult for some of these players and agents to know exactly when to play hardball and a lot of them guess wrong in retrospect.

I like Moulds as much as the next guy but I'd part with him so long we can find a veteran UFA to replace him. As he'll be 33 on opening day which means his best days are behind him. Whereas (hopefully) JP's best days are in front of him. Though the truth is truly don't feel we have a viable replacement on the current roster and don't see Lee Evans being a sure fire #1 WR in the NFL (I've always likened Lee to Terry Glenn who seems better suited as a #1A/#2). Hence my feelings if we do part ways with Moulds it be best to sign a David Givens or Antonio Bryant to replace him. I've also mentioned Isaac Bruce as a potential cap casualty but like Moulds might be a short term answer when the other WRs mentioned could be long term solutions and while feel we could be 8-8 next season with some improvements elsewhere think better to look long term than short.

603500[/snapback]

he just caught 81 passes last year with crap at QB throwing him the ball and being suspended 2 games.He will still be a very good WR for the next 2-3 years ala Jerry Rice. He is 85% of what he was in his prime--when he also had no good QB to throw to him . What a frustration it must be for a WR when their play is so controlled dictated by another player's action.--moreso than almost any other position. It is amazing what he has done with a weak armed Flutie, adumbdumb sackaholic RJ, a not ready/innaccurate JP--and a soft-armed but accurate KH.

You mean if Moulds stays we'll win?  0:)

603536[/snapback]

No, but if he does stick around I think he'll have resigned himself to playing for a mediocore team and trying to be a part of turning things around. And if they do happen to start winning nobody will ever remembe that there was even an issue.