Jets renegotiating

scribo

These are more than routine steps to get under the salary cap by March 3, the first day of free agency, a person familiar with the talks told The Associated Press on Tuesday, speaking on condition of anonymity because negotiations are ongoing. Rather, they are related to the right shoulder injury and questions of whether Pennington's arm will return to full strength.

Is Chad going to get cut loose if he refuses the raise? Shall we see the Jests making a trade for Bledsoe? :(

Is Chad going to get cut loose if he refuses the raise? Shall we see the Jests making a trade for Bledsoe?  :(

602981[/snapback]

You've just opened the door for the "Should we trade our #1 to the Jets for Chad" posts from the usual suspects. 0:)

You've just opened the door for the "Should we trade our #1 to the Jets for Chad" posts from the usual suspects.  :(

602992[/snapback]

Well, he did score a 25 on his Wonderlic the first time he took it. I mean, he's no Joey Harrington, but dang...

More fuel. B'gals signed Doug Johnson last week, so Kitna will likely be on the market.

Let the Games begin... :(

602999[/snapback]

I like Doug, but he'll more than likely be camp fodder to compete with Krenzel and Bramlet if they bring him to camp again.

The Bengals would be foolish to not resign Kitna with the injury to Palmer possibly keeping him out until week 4. Heck even if Palmer starts week 1...that is a serious injury and he will not be 100% all year. Knee injuries in the playoffs not only kill your post season, but damage your next season as well.

I like Doug, but he'll more than likely be camp fodder to compete with Krenzel and Bramlet if they bring him to camp again.

The Bengals would be foolish to not resign Kitna with the injury to Palmer possibly keeping him out until week 4.  Heck even if Palmer starts week 1...that is a serious injury and he will not be 100% all year.  Knee injuries in the playoffs not only kill your post season, but damage your next season as well.

603056[/snapback]

They have a salutory relationship with Kitna. He voluntarily stepped down after coming off a fine season when he was named comeback Player of the Year. He was literally one snap short of a million-buck bonus that year, but the B'gals waived it and gave him the cash.

If Kitna wants to stay, it would happen. But his skills play to a certain offensive philosophy, much different than that that was put into place for Palmer.

The B'gals like Kitna as a man. Me too. They would be happy to see him get a starting gig elsewhere.

Casey Bramlett is a nice fellow, but he came from a couple of sorry college years in Montana or Wyoning or some such.

My best guess is that Kitna moves on, and Johnson/Krenzel back up.

If Palmer is down for the count, with money owed and cap hits (24M cash guaranteed plis 15+ cap), they are sunk regardless - they will have a hard time paying competitive $$$ to current players, and will have to play the cut-the-vet-for-cap-consideration game. Palmer's contract already has kept them pretty much out of the FA market.

That's what happens when a big-money qb goes down. See NYJ and Penny, and certainly IND if a defender planted his shoulder pad squarely on Manning's knee.

If Kitna wants to stay, it would happen. But his skills play to a certain offensive philosophy, much different than that that was put into place for Palmer.

603131[/snapback]

I understand where you are coming from with this...but Kitna suits the Cincy offense much better than Johnson or Krenzel. I've never been overwhelmed by either or their arms. Both are serviceable back ups...but unless Palmer has some miraculous recovery they are going to need a starter.

Kitna's options are a bit limited right now as well. Arizona, Miami, NY Jets, maybe Oakland are the only teams that might have use for him. Arizona depends on what they do with McCown and Warner who are both FAs, my guess is one or the other will stay...but I also think Green might be able to work out a deal for Culpepper, depending on his injury. Miami has pretty much told Frerotte that he won't be the starter next year and I can't really see them benching Frerotte for a guy like Kitna. The jets right now are a good possibility if Pennington doesnt come back or is too injured to be a reliable starter. Oakland depends on what Shell decides to do with Collins. Two other maybes are Green Bay if Favre retires and they arent sold on Rodgers yet, or Chicago...but both are highly doubtful to me at this point. Maybe Detriot depending on the Harrington situation.

Basically, teams aren't going to be beating a path to Kitna's door just yet if at all.

I understand where you are coming from with this...but Kitna suits the Cincy offense much better than Johnson or Krenzel.  I've never been overwhelmed by either or their arms.  Both are serviceable back ups...but unless Palmer has some miraculous recovery they are going to need a starter.

Kitna's options are a bit limited right now as well.  Arizona, Miami, NY Jets, maybe Oakland are the only teams that might have use for him.  Arizona depends on what they do with McCown and Warner who are both FAs, my guess is one or the other will stay...but I also think Green might be able to work out a deal for Culpepper, depending on his injury.  Miami has pretty much told Frerotte that he won't be the starter next year and I can't really see them benching Frerotte for a guy like Kitna.  The jets right now are  a good possibility if Pennington doesnt come back or is too injured to be a reliable starter.  Oakland depends on what Shell decides to do with Collins.  Two other maybes are Green Bay if Favre retires and they arent sold on Rodgers yet, or Chicago...but both are highly doubtful to me at this point.  Maybe Detriot depending on the Harrington situation.

Basically, teams aren't going to be beating a path to Kitna's door just yet if at all.

603166[/snapback]

I also think that teams will not be beating down the door. Kitna's arm is certainly so-so. But the Cincy offense has very much been tuned to Palmer. They could change that, but certainly they will hang on to the hope that Palmer recovers to the very last moment.

There has been a sea change in the B'gals organization. They have changed from being absolute cheapskates - players used to have to bring their own towels into training camp - to a very much player oriented club. I think they genuinely would like to see him get some more $$$ and playing time with another outfit.

Kitna is what he is. A scrapper with small hands. He can fill this or that team's needs on a club with a decent run attack and especially one with a TE presence.

Interesting that you mention Harrington. He's been in the Tim Couch boat. If Palmer isn't able to ever come back, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the B'gals made a move to get him.

From Newsday: Chad passes on offer

Chad Pennington's agent has rejected the Jets' proposal to slash the injured quarterback's base salary for 2006 to $1 million and force him to earn the remaining $8 million he is owed through incentives.

The impasse is not surprising, but it means newly anointed general manager Mike Tannenbaum and Pennington's high-powered agent, Tom Condon, are in staredown mode.

Welcome to free agency, Chad. How's that shoulder feel?

Something else of interest later in that story:

According to two more people with knowledge of the situation, the Jets are trying to get running back Curtis Martin, center Kevin Mawae, guard Pete Kendall, tackle Jason Fabini and receiver Laveranues Coles to accept pay cuts or reworked deals.

As expected, they have decided to part ways with cornerback Ty Law, who is due an $11-million bonus March 3. Mawae, coming off surgery to repair a torn left triceps, apparently will refuse to take a pay cut and will ask the Jets to release him if they can't handle his projected $4.5-million cap figure.

Three-fifths of their starting offensive line, their #1 RB, #1 WR, and Pro Bowl CB. Life is not good in the Meadowswamp...

If Mawae leaves, advantage:Buffalo's defensive line.

From Newsday: Chad passes on offer

Welcome to free agency, Chad. How's that shoulder feel?

Something else of interest later in that story:

Three-fifths of their starting offensive line, their #1 RB, #1 WR, and Pro Bowl CB. Life is not good in the Meadowswamp...

If Mawae leaves, advantage:Buffalo's defensive line.

I thought Mawae was a shell of his former self.

And picking up Kendall could be a good move.