DFL - Celebrating last-place Olympic finishes

Fezmid

I saw an article before the Olympics started that was talking about how anyone can get to go. Basically, find a sport that is not well know or played in your country, or if you have dual citizenship, your other country. Then go through the proper channels to join the team in that sport. The example they were using was badminton.

I saw an article before the Olympics started that was talking about how anyone can get to go. Basically, find a sport that is not well know or played in your country, or if you have dual citizenship, your other country. Then go through the proper channels to join the team in that sport. The example they were using was badminton.

603471[/snapback]

I'm convinced that if I had a solid 6 months to practice (meaning taking 6 months off work and practicing 10 hours a day) I could medal in curling. I cannot say this about any other "sport", which is why I love curling. It's also why I don't respect anyone who wins a medal in it. There is no other sport I can think of where this holds true, therefore I respect most of the other athletes.

I'm convinced that if I had a solid 6 months to practice (meaning taking 6 months off work and practicing 10 hours a day) I could medal in curling. I cannot say this about any other "sport", which is why I love curling. It's also why I don't respect anyone who wins a medal in it.  There is no other sport I can think of where this holds true, therefore I respect most of the other athletes.

603473[/snapback]

Since they replaced the old straw brooms (or at least brooms that looked to be straw) with push brooms and now brushes that look almost like squeegees, I've lost interest in the game. No sex appeal anymore. The slapping of the broom against the ice...that was for me, I tells ya.

I'm convinced that if I had a solid 6 months to practice (meaning taking 6 months off work and practicing 10 hours a day) I could medal in curling. I cannot say this about any other "sport", which is why I love curling. It's also why I don't respect anyone who wins a medal in it.  There is no other sport I can think of where this holds true, therefore I respect most of the other athletes.

603473[/snapback]

Isn't one of the "rules" also that the winners buy everyone else a round?

603473[/snapback]

Have you ever gone curling? Its not as easy as it looks....not only is it a game of skill (getting the right weight and spin on your throw, etc.), but its also a game of strategy. For the same reason you can't be a grand chess master, you won't be a world champion curler unless you have the intrinsic ability to out-strategize the best curlers in the world.

Don't knock the sport because the physical requirements aren't as strenuous as other sports.

Have you ever gone curling?  Its not as easy as it looks....not only is it a game of skill (getting the right weight and spin on your throw, etc.), but its also a game of strategy.  For the same reason you can't be a grand chess master, you won't be a world champion curler unless you have the intrinsic ability to out-strategize the best curlers in the world.

Don't knock the sport because the physical requirements aren't as strenuous as other sports.

603648[/snapback]

"Can't" be a grand chess master, or don't have the interest or time to devote? There's a difference. If you have intelligence, you can immerse yourself in something like chess (or the ultra-strategic world of curling) and learn how to master it.

If I'm over-simplifying things, I apologize, but I just don't believe that a good number of us couldn't learn to "out-strategize the best curlers in the world" given some time and practice.

"Can't" be a grand chess master, or don't have the interest or time to devote?  There's a difference.  If you have intelligence, you can immerse yourself in something like chess (or the ultra-strategic world of curling) and learn how to master it.

If I'm over-simplifying things, I apologize, but I just don't believe that a good number of us couldn't learn to "out-strategize the best curlers in the world" given some time and practice.

603751[/snapback]

I don't know anything about curling, so I can't really comment on that. But chess? I think it's safe to say that not many people could be a grand chess master, even if they had the interest/time. Your brain has to be wired a certain way, and not everyone is. Just because you're smart, doesn't mean you can succeed at everything (despite what they tell you in elementary school).

CW

If curling is an olympic sport, there is no reason bowling isn't.

(You're mention of buying beer made me think of that)

603517[/snapback]

Bowling was a "demonstration" sport at either the LA olympics or the Atlanta one.

Bowling was a "demonstration" sport at either the LA olympics or the Atlanta one.

604342[/snapback]

They dropped it from official consideration after all of the medalists showed up drunk at the ceremony.