We have 10 days to franchise Nate

Frez

Why not tag Nate and keep him for the season on the franchise pay? It is a reasonable number for sure. He had an off year -- at best -- so let him play another "contract year," and hope he has a breakout season, thus raising his value. Yes, he would cost even more in '07, but he would also fetch that more in a trade.

Nate will be in a Bills' uniform next season or we're getting two first-rounders, which I would welcome.

Let's say Nate wasn't on the team. The biggest obstacle to having a successful cover-2 defense would still be the defense's inability to generate consistent pressure with the front four. If downgrading the CB position gives you salary cap space or draft picks that could be used on that DL; well, you'd really have to consider that. This is especially true if trading away Nate could help you get an elite player. Elsewhere I've suggested the Bills should examine the idea of trading away Nate, and using some of the draft pick value to trade up to take Mario. This assumes, of course, that Mario has the potential for greatness.

LET HIM WALK!  He's really not all that good.

It's kind of strange talking to Bills fans latley because at the end of the season everyone wanted to get rid of Clements so badly and these same people are now saying they want him back.  I kind of funny really!  I only want to know why the change in opinion so suddenly?

Anyway, I think the Bills should let him walk and take a chance on a CB from FA.

602450[/snapback]

Actually, a large part of that I would imagine is that the majority here seemed to think the franchise tag was 9 or 10 million when the season ended, and they didn't want Clements for that much. Now that it has been shown to be a reasonable 5.8 million, a lot of people changed their minds, and for good reason. Every player on the team is really worth it only in terms of how much we pay him is he worth it.

Actually, a large part of that I would imagine is that the majority here seemed to think the franchise tag was 9 or 10 million when the season ended, and they didn't want Clements for that much. Now that it has been shown to be a reasonably 5.8 million, a lot of people changed their minds, and for good reason. Every player on the team is really worth it only in terms of how much we pay him is he worth it.

602871[/snapback]

Well said.

Seems some folks think that all FA's want to come here and forget that it's a 32-team league, or that a decent CB can be gotten by traveling to a Sears store and plucking one off the rack.

The good thing about Clements is that he seems to have some value to other teams. I'd like to see the Bills tag him for the purpose of trading him. He has proven every year that he makes too many mistakes to be the "lock down" corner on the team. The sooner they pull the plug and move on to someone who might be, the better.

Well said.

Seems some folks think that all FA's want to come here and forget that it's a 32-team league, or that a decent CB can be gotten by traveling to a Sears store and plucking one off the rack.

602899[/snapback]

The quality of the Sear's CB has declined dramatically over the past few years. There's certainly something to be said for getting a cheap workable CB at WallMart...but, that's not my cup-o-tea. I know you can buy pretty good CBs at Costco, but you have to buy 12 of them and that's a LOT of cap space. Besides, whaddaya gonna do with 12 CBs? (I know they say you can never have too many CBs, but that's just nuts.)

Target has decent CBs for the money...nicely packaged, too. And, while you'll pay top-dollar for a CB at Norsdstrom, you can retun them at any time...no questions asked.

:(0:)

if clements can be traded for a 1st rounder (that's a big IF) and if that money can then be used to bring in darren howard (that's an even bigger IF) i would be all for it........i agree with the theory being tossed around that a stud on the DL is more valuable then a stud at CB.........it's not a knock against nate, as he is a star player who is one of the best at his position.......we just need to find a way to get pressure with our front four, some way or another.......this team has had to blitz constantly the past few years because that is the only way they could get a pass rush, but 4-3's like the panthers and the bears get pressure without blitzing.......that is the key and darren howard would help in that area a ton.....

but like i said, those are two big IF's.......

The quality of the Sear's CB has declined dramatically over the past few years.  There's certainly something to be said for getting a cheap workable CB at WallMart...but, that's not my cup-o-tea.  I know you can buy pretty good CBs at Costco, but you have to buy 12 of them and that's a LOT of cap space.  Besides, whaddaya gonna do with 12 CBs?  (I know they say you can never have too many CBs, but that's just nuts.)

Target has decent CBs for the money...nicely packaged, too.  And, while you'll pay top-dollar for a CB at Norsdstrom, you can retun them at any time...no questions asked. 

:(  0:)

602910[/snapback]

Then you have Minnie, bent on paying Neiman-Marcus prices.. :lol: .