OK, here goes.....

Bill from NYC

First of all, I readily admit to almost never having seen him play.

With this out of the way, I am quite wary of the Bills selecting another 350 monster with a history of serious injuries. If he was as good as Mean Joe Green, I am thinking that I would know more about him.

This is not to say that we don't need help at DT. We need help there and lots of it. Still, I can't help believing that other options exist at this position, be it the draft or free agency.

In summary, I would be happier to see this pick used on Hawke, Ferguson, or even Huff is he is as good as some say.

Yeah, Ngata has me spooked. Does anybody agree, or of course disagree? :wacko:

I also have not seen enough of him to give a great opinion. I will disagree slightly because I am not spooked by the ACL injury. I dont think he is going to be one of these Ted Wash, Gilbert Brown types who are listed at 350 and are closer to 380. Therefore, the injury doesn't scare me as much. But that is pure speculation.

The reason I would like to draft him (and I would definitely take D'Brick over him) is that he really will fill a hole. I like the idea of Huff and Hawk (though I'm sure Hawk will be gone), but I am just so focused on building the trenches that I almost don't want to hear about anything other than OL or DL with that 1st (and probably 2nd) pick.

I just feel that if we could grab him in the first, and a nice guard in the second, it would just help this team so much.

So I am not adamantly disagreeing with you, just offering why I would be excited to see him.

I agree with Bart. As I said in the other thread, EVERYTHING I've read on Ngata is positive. No pick is a sure thing, but I think he's as close as you get and it's a NEED position.

The only place I've heard less than stellar things about Ngata is on TSW. And really, it seems to me that everyone has this attitude like "well, if he's there for the Bills, he HAS to be overated and unworthy". (That's not directed at you Bill)

Everyone wants Ferg and Mario, but they just won't be there.

Ngata is the best available pick, and he has what it takes to be great.

I agree with Bart.  As I said in the other thread, EVERYTHING I've read on Ngata is positive.  No pick is a sure thing, but I think he's as close as you get and it's a NEED position.

The only place I've heard less than stellar things about Ngata is on TSW.  And really, it seems to me that everyone has this attitude like "well, if he's there for the Bills, he HAS to be overated and unworthy".  (That's not directed at you Bill)

Everyone wants Ferg and Mario, but they just won't be there. 

Ngata is the best available pick, and he has what it takes to be great.

602582[/snapback]

You and Bart DO raise valid points. Again, the size and the injury are what spook me. This is NOT to say that I see no chance of him playing well.

I hope to see more of Ngata as the draft approaches.

Can't say I know enough about him to say. I watched him once in the Holiday Bowl, and he never seemed to have much of an impact. Rarely heard his name mentioned after the first quarter, and the Adrian Peterson ran roughshod through the Oregon line through most of the second half.

I only seen him in the Holiday Bowl as well. He didn't play the 2nd half and only seemed to tie up blockers in the first half. Didn't seem to have much of a first step at all. On a positive, he lined up as the up-back on a fake punt and pulled to lead block for the punter on a sweep. He can haul ass for his size! I remember an old R. Rich post talking about how he also gave the USC line all kinds of problems as well. He is one of the people around here who actually have a clue so I take that as a positive note about him as well. To sum it up, I need to see more film.

First of all, I readily admit to almost never having seen him play.

602232[/snapback]

not to take a shot at you or anything, but can you really make such a strong assumption like this without ever seeing him play? just seems odd to me you can make a judgement like that when you dont know how dominant or non dominant he can be

not to take a shot at you or anything, but can you really make such a strong assumption like this without ever seeing him play? just seems odd to me you can make a judgement like that when you dont know how dominant or non dominant he can be

607300[/snapback]

Not at all. :lol: That is a very fair question.

Not that it means much, but Kirwan and Cross were talking about another over-sized player, OG Jean-Gilles. They were saying that he looked very good on drills, but they weren't convinced that he could do it for 40 plays at that size. Kirwan went as far as to say that he might "throw up" during a 2 minute drill in the NFL.

What I am saying is that after Mike Williams, I am very standoffish toward huge players. Ngata is very young. As he ages and his metabolism changes, what will he weigh, 400?

Hey, we DO need DTs and it wouln't be the end of the world if we took this kid. He might be an all time great, who knows?

This is really the very first draft I can remember where I would be interested in trading down.

Not at all.  :doh:  That is a very fair question.

Not that it means much, but Kirwan and Cross were talking about another over-sized player, OG Jean-Gilles. They were saying that he looked very good on drills, but they weren't convinced that he could do it for 40 plays at that size. Kirwan went as far as to say that he might "throw up" during a 2 minute drill in the NFL.

What I am saying is that after Mike Williams, I am very standoffish toward huge players. Ngata is very young. As he ages and his metabolism changes, what will he weigh, 400?

Hey, we DO need DTs and it wouln't be the end of the world if we took this kid. He might be an all time great, who knows?

This is really the very first draft I can remember where I would be interested in trading down.

607336[/snapback]

i am against anymore fat linemen too, but if you just look at a picture of ngata, he doesnt even looke 340, so im not worried with him, he must have a lot of muscle or something. But Gilles looks rediculous, i wouldnt draft a guy like that. i think ngata is safe, google his name in the images or something. there should be some picks of him

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.