Does Schonert = West Coast?

scribo

It would be interesting to hear from someone who can actually tell us what the QB coach does. It's not that I don't enjoy reading everyone's opinion, but I'd like to know the facts. After all, you've got to think that the Bills could have offered the QB coach job to AVP if they wanted to. There's a reason they hired Turk to "coach" the QBs and AVP to study and break down film.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who can actually tell us what the QB coach does.  It's not that I don't enjoy reading everyone's opinion, but I'd like to know the facts.  After all, you've got to think that the Bills could have offered the QB coach job to AVP if they wanted to.  There's a reason they hired Turk to "coach" the QBs and AVP to study and break down film.

602784[/snapback]

Actually, I looked it up and TheTruthHurts was right. All the QB coaches teach are mechanics. The Bills hired Shonert because talks with the Reverend Jim Ignatowski fell through.

Man, Turk Shonert seemingly has one of the worst resumes I have ever come across.

1992-1995 on the Bucs, they were terrible and it was Vinny testeverdes last year, his first year, Erickson never was good and then Dilfer was a bust.

He was so good he was offered a radio broadcasting job in Cinci for three years.

1998-2000 he had RJ on the Bills. Nuff said. Flutie doesn't count because he likely listened to nobody.

2001- on Carolina they were 1-15 with Weinke and Harbaugh.

2002 he literally coached his son's little league team.

2003 on the Giants. Drove Collins out of town. They were 4-12.

2005 on the Saints. Aaron Brooks was so bad he got benched for Todd Bouman.

Granted, the QB coach is not responsible for a team's record or their players, and he didn't have much to work with most of the time. But one would be hard pressed to find a team that he elevated the Quarterback play in any of his 10 seasons.

Frankly, I would have given AVP the job instead of quality control.

602235[/snapback]

Look at it this way. The QB coach who just retired worked with Joe Montana and Boomer Esiason. His replacement has worked with Rob Johnson, Aaron Brooks, and a little league team. Feel better? Me neither.

QB coaches are what they are, they coach mechanics. 

602329[/snapback]

Why would they only coach mechanics? Why wouldn't they also teach the QB about reading defenses, adjusting for blitzes, and the other things he needs to know? If it isn't the QB coach's responsibility to teach the QB these things, then which coach does have this responsibility?

Guest BackInDaDay
Why would they only coach mechanics? Why wouldn't they also teach the QB about reading defenses, adjusting for blitzes, and the other things he needs to know? If it isn't the QB coach's responsibility to teach the QB these things, then which coach does have this responsibility?

603570[/snapback]

I'm thinking our new offensive QC coach will be of assistance there.

For both Holcomb and Losman. Gotchya covered, bulldog. 0:)

603570[/snapback]

Mechanics are huge! Where you hold the ball in your drop, your footwork, release point, pocket awareness, and everything else that QB's need to work on in practice.

QB's dont just sit around while the OL/TE's, WRs/TE's, and RB's do their drills. The QB works on footwork and all that other stuff I mentioned.

The offensive coordinator will work on the scheme of the offense. Im sure the QB coach will get some orders from the offensive coordinator on things to work on interms of the scheme, but a QB coach is exactly what every other coach is, a teacher of mechanics.

What do you think a LB coach does? A DB coach? An OL coach? and so on. They coach mechanics. The OL coach is probably the closest thing to an offensive coordinator of the position coaches. They usual create the blocking schemes and protection calls. The good ones do atleast.

I'm thinking our new offensive QC coach will be of assistance there.

For both Holcomb and Losman.  Gotchya covered, bulldog.  :devil:

603574[/snapback]

Good point. You know, I've been thinking more about this Turk situation. It's a little hard to judge a QB coach, because a rookie Joe Montana + no QB coach at all > Ryan Leaf + the best QB coach ever.

Take Rob Johnson for example. Sure he was a deeply flawed player here in Buffalo. But IIRC, he had even less success down in Tampa, and I imagine Jon Gruden's found excellent position coaches. Or take Chris Weinke. He didn't exactly set the world on fire under Turk, but he hasn't done anything under Turk's replacement either. As for the Aaron Brooks situation, you could look at it as Brooks being so badly coached he couldn't hold off the Todd Bouman challenge, or you could look at is as Todd Bouman being so well coached he was able to beat out Aaron Brooks.

I'm still pessimistic about Turk, but I'm not as convinced now as I'd been when I first heard the news.