Does Schonert = West Coast?

scribo

Turk Schonert, the Bills' new QB coach, is best known for working in the West Coast offensive system. I do believe he learned under Bill Walsh.

I was kind of hoping for a double tight-end, power-back type of system.

Turk Schonert, the Bills' new QB coach, is best known for working in the West Coast offensive system. I do believe he learned under Bill Walsh.

I was kind of hoping for a double tight-end, power-back type of system.

602195[/snapback]

The QB coach is not really going to have any say in what kind of offense they run. I guarantee that Steve Fairchild has been working toward this offensive coordinator position most of his adult life and has spent years compiling a playbook and an offense. It's very likely a lot like the Mike Martz offense with significanty more running plays and theory. I havent researched it but he doesn't seem to come from any classic West Coast offense. The offense he ran at Colorado State was a running offense. Yes, he was here under Greggo and Mike Sheppard that first year in a west coast style but he was a RB coach and that was somewhat of a clusterfuk. And his second year was under Killdrive.

Me three.....when did this happen? BuffaloBills.com doesn't have it and I'm still checking other sites, but nothing so far....

Confirmation?

602228[/snapback]

V-coach has confirmed the hiring of both Schonert as QB coach and Coiner as TE coach...

Man, Turk Shonert seemingly has one of the worst resumes I have ever come across.

1992-1995 on the Bucs, they were terrible and it was Vinny testeverdes last year, his first year, Erickson never was good and then Dilfer was a bust.

He was so good he was offered a radio broadcasting job in Cinci for three years.

1998-2000 he had RJ on the Bills. Nuff said. Flutie doesn't count because he likely listened to nobody.

2001- on Carolina they were 1-15 with Weinke and Harbaugh.

2002 he literally coached his son's little league team.

2003 on the Giants. Drove Collins out of town. They were 4-12.

2005 on the Saints. Aaron Brooks was so bad he got benched for Todd Bouman.

Granted, the QB coach is not responsible for a team's record or their players, and he didn't have much to work with most of the time. But one would be hard pressed to find a team that he elevated the Quarterback play in any of his 10 seasons.

Frankly, I would have given AVP the job instead of quality control.

Man, Turk Shonert seemingy has one of the worst resumes I have ever come across.

1992-1995 on the Bucs, they were terrible and it was Vinny testeverdes last year, his first year, Erickson never was good and then Dilfer was a bust.

He was so good he was offered a radio broadcasting job in Cinci for three years.

1998-2000 he had RJ on the Bills. Nuff said. Flutie doesn't count because he likely listened to nobody.

Granted, the QB coach is not responsible for a team's record or their players, and he didn't have much to work with most of the time. But one would be hard pressed to find a team that he elevated the Quarterback play in any of his 10 seasons.

602235[/snapback]

Great resume....jeez...

Beginning to seem that initial fears of Jauron not being able to assemble a solid staff might have had some basis...

Man, Turk Shonert seemingly has one of the worst resumes I have ever come across.

602235[/snapback]

QB coaches are what they are, they coach mechanics. Fairchild was a QB coach and Im sure AVP will help out the QB's.

QB coaches are what they are, they coach mechanics.  Fairchild was a QB coach and Im sure AVP will help out the QB's.

602329[/snapback]

Resumes are what they are, too. They are histories. Is doesn't matter to you that after his first job, none of the other 30+ teams hired him for three full years? He left his seond job with the worst quarterback controversy in team history? His third, fourth and fifth hirings all only lasted one year? Again, he is not responsible for the team. But just dumb luck would have gotten some good quarterback play out of ten full seasons. Unless you want to give him credit for Doug Flutie's schoolyard shenanigans one season.

Resumes are what they are, too. They are histories. Is doesn't matter to you that after his first job, none of the other 30+ teams hired him for three full years? He left his seond job with the worst quarterback controversy in team history? His third, fourth and fifth hirings all only lastest one year? Again, he is not responsible for the team. But just dumb luck would have gotten some good quarterback play out of ten full seasons. Unless you want to give him credit for Doug Flutie's schoolyard shenanigans one season.

602350[/snapback]

Its a QB coach!

Some years we didnt even have one. QB coaches are puppets, that make sure QB's have good mechanics. Thats all. Ide be surprised if he has any input at all besides mechanics, and I would think that would be minimal.

Its a QB coach!

Some years we didnt even have one.  QB coaches are puppets, that make sure QB's have good mechanics.  Thats all.  Ide be surprised if he has any input at all besides mechanics, and I would think that would be minimal.

602356[/snapback]

Untrue. It is surely not all mechanics. It is a lot the mental aspects of the game. I'm sure they will go over film all the time. Reading defenses. Game and time management. Look at all the articles about Sam Wyche last year spending long, long days with Losman. An entire off season. All day every day. What was his job again? Oh, right. Granted, that was an aberration, but you're absolutely nuts and dead wrong if you don't think there is a helluva lot more to that job than just mechanics.

Is this going to make or break the Bills season? Of course not. Is it going to determine whether or not Losman has a great season or career? No. Highly unlikely. But it is clearly a shaky hire. There is zero that instills confidence in it. I am, frankly, astounded that some NFL coach and GM are giving a Steve Howe inspired sixth chance to someone who has been a failure at five consecutive previous stops.

Oh, and Steve Fairchild got promoted to an offensive coordinator post because of his work as a QB coach. I am sure that Martz called him into his office and said he was amazed by the mechanics shown by Marc Bulger. I believe that Mariucci and Holmgren and others were promoted to OC first after being QB coaches. Those mechanics must have blown away their head coach.

Untrue. It is surely not all mechanics. It is a lot the mental aspects of the game. I'm sure they will go over film all the time. Reading defenses. Game and time management. Look at all the articles about Sam Wyche last year spending long, long days with Losman. An entire off season. All day every day. What was his job again? Oh, right. Granted, that was an aberration, but you're absolutely nuts and dead wrong if you don't think there is a helluva lot more to that job than just mechanics.

Is this going to make or break the Bills season? Of course not. Is it going to determine whether or not Losman has a great season or career? No. Highly unlikely. But it is clearly a shaky hire. There is zero that instills confidence in it. I am, frankly, astounded that some NFL coach and GM are giving a Steve Howe inspired sixth chance to someone who has been a failure at five consecutive previous stops.

602364[/snapback]

But...his name's Turk. That's so kewell!!

"Steve Howe inspired sixth chance"...That's gold, Kelly...GOLD!

Oh, and Steve Fairchild got promoted to an offensive coordinator post because of his work as a QB coach. I am sure that Martz called him into his office and said he was amazed by the mechanics shown by Marc Bulger. I believe that Mariucci and Holmgren and others were promoted to OC first after being QB coaches. Those mechanics must have blown away their head coach.

602364[/snapback]

Like I said, some years we didnt have a QB coach.

Sam Wyche was brought in here to tutor Losman, its a different case.

Most years, no one even sees or hears the QB coach. He is a puppet of the offensive Coordinator.

The OC will tell what he wants his QB coach to work on with the QB. Its not like the QB coach is designing plays or comming up with schemes. He is a puppet.

Some guys, like Gruden, have OC and Headcoaching in their blood, and after a few years, get promotions. QB coaches dont do their own thing, they do what they are told to do.

Resumes are what they are, too. They are histories. Is doesn't matter to you that after his first job, none of the other 30+ teams hired him for three full years? He left his seond job with the worst quarterback controversy in team history? His third, fourth and fifth hirings all only lastest one year? Again, he is not responsible for the team. But just dumb luck would have gotten some good quarterback play out of ten full seasons. Unless you want to give him credit for Doug Flutie's schoolyard shenanigans one season.

602350[/snapback]

To be fair, kelly, look at each of his firings. All of them came when the team had hired a new coach, usually meaning a lot of position coaches lose their jobs. maybe he needs to stop working with losers. :wacko:

To be fair, kelly, look at each of his firings. All of them came when the team had hired a new coach, usually meaning a lot of position coaches lose their jobs. maybe he needs to stop working with losers. ;)

602418[/snapback]

True. And a fair point. I wasn't concerned so much with his firings, however, as with the play of the quarterbacks was he was still there. :wacko: