Katrina Thing

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

U.S. military forces executed "the largest, fastest, most comprehensive and most responsive civil support mission ever

But...but...but...I thought it was complete, abject failure of everyone even remotely connected with the federal government. Al Sharpton said so! Stop trying to spread these lies and neo-con propaganda!

Especially after we bomb Iran, Fox news this morning is highly advocating it.  Better step up those emergency disaster regs.  Iran and the rest of the world might just react.

601819[/snapback]

despite popular lefty camp belief....the administration does not have anyone from Fox News on staff.

We can't let these so-called "facts" get in the way of THE TRUTH.

:D

601877[/snapback]

So, the Dept of Defense writes an article stating that the Dept of Defense did a swell job in handling Katrina. And this counts as Facts and the Truth to you?

Just for the record:

Mike Brown thinks that Mike Brown did a swell job too.

Roy Nagin thinks that he did a swell job too.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/13/...in1308008.shtml

The republican congress doesn't think so.

The 600-page report by a special Republican-dominated House inquiry into one of the worst natural disasters in U.S. history concluded that "Katrina was a national failure, an abdication of the most solemn obligation to provide for the common welfare. At every level – individual, corporate, philanthropic, and governmental – we failed to meet the challenge that was Katrina."

Excerpts of the report obtained by CBS News said "a blinding lack of situational awareness and disjointed decision making needlessly compounded and prolonged Katrina’s horror."

It also said President Bush received poor and incomplete counsel about the crisis unfolding in the Gulf Coast.

The GAO doesn't "belong" to either party, and is generally and uniformly hated by everyone (as they rarely, if ever have anything nice to say - that's not their job). I was more interested that that was their take. Don't confuse "responsive" with "perfection as evidenced by hindsight". Thought someone else might catch the GAO angle.

As far as me personally, I don't give anything that comes out of Congress (Rep or Dem) the time of day 99% of the time. Everyone there has an agenda, mostly personal to one degree or another.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/13/...in1308008.shtml

The republican congress doesn't think so.

601988[/snapback]

A congressional investigation couldn't find their ass with both hands and a map. Bunch of guys who know nothing about the subject they're investigating thinking if they talk about it enough they'll reach some sort of Holy Truth without leaving the confines of their cushy offices.

There are people with 20+ field experience years in disaster response and large-scale resource management in this country whose expertise will be ignored by Congress simply because it's politically inexpedient to listen to them, you realize...

A congressional investigation couldn't find their ass with both hands and a map.  Bunch of guys who know nothing about the subject they're investigating thinking if they talk about it enough they'll reach some sort of Holy Truth without leaving the confines of their cushy offices.

There are people with 20+ field experience years in disaster response and large-scale resource management in this country whose expertise will be ignored by Congress simply because it's politically inexpedient to listen to them, you realize...

602175[/snapback]

Of course, the Department of Defense isn't going to say anything bad about their job either, less they make their loyal commander in chief, the President, look bad.

Which was pretty much my point - these responses, without an independent investigation, mean nothing.

A congressional investigation couldn't find their ass with both hands and a map.  Bunch of guys who know nothing about the subject they're investigating thinking if they talk about it enough they'll reach some sort of Holy Truth without leaving the confines of their cushy offices.

602175[/snapback]

Oh they will listen allright, and some poor staffer working with those folks will generate some great ideas, but then some lobby group friendly to the Chair of whatever committee it comes before will state that there isn't enough funding for his pockets in it and another lobbyist will want to go another direction and as a result will get killed in Committee Congress will never see it again or just ignore until it goes away. Unless a big slush fund like Iraq appears and then they will all jump on board, demanding non-competitive contracts like Halliburton did and waste a lot of tax payer dollars.

602175[/snapback]

I liked Brown's chiding of those tin gods. Especially when he repeatedly asked Coleman R-MN to elaborate on what more he should have done, to the point when the Hon. Sen. decided to declare his time was up to avoid answering.

Of course, the Department of Defense isn't going to say anything bad about their job either, less they make their loyal commander in chief, the President, look bad.

Which was pretty much my point - these responses, without an independent investigation, mean nothing.

602187[/snapback]

Not publicly. The DoD's one of the better organizations for learning from their mistakes, however. Since Vietnam, they've developed and fostered a culture of constructive self-criticism and improvement at every level that, while it doesn't always work (and sure as sh-- doesn't in budgetary matters), is neither co-opted by PR or political motivations all that often either. I'd trust a DoD investigation before I'd trust a Congressional one.

Plus...if anyone would bother to look back at events, Defense didn't get involved until the city and state governments and DHS had already dropped the ball. When they DID get involved, they got things sorted out rather rapidly (startlingly so, IMO). So what, exactly, is the criticism of the DoD here? That they didn't anticipate cleaning up the mess left by those ACTUALLY responsible?

Not publicly.  The DoD's one of the better organizations for learning from their mistakes, however.  Since Vietnam, they've developed and fostered a culture of constructive self-criticism and improvement at every level that, while it doesn't always work (and sure as sh-- doesn't in budgetary matters), is neither co-opted by PR or political motivations all that often either.  I'd trust a DoD investigation before I'd trust a Congressional one.

Plus...if anyone would bother to look back at events, Defense didn't get involved until the city and state governments and DHS had already dropped the ball.  When they DID get involved, they got things sorted out rather rapidly (startlingly so, IMO).  So what, exactly, is the criticism of the DoD here?  That they didn't anticipate cleaning up the mess left by those ACTUALLY responsible?

602251[/snapback]

Granted, but DOD probably has the best tools to do so and the Army Corp did an incredible job rebuilding quickly the causeways leading into New Orleans, maybe they should get the whole job. As long as Haliburton is not a subcontrator.