Lydman....

stevestojan

Goalies have a huge advantage in the shootout and it's even greater in the NHL.  The condition of the ice is generally poor (though scraping it helps some) and it looked like the puck got on edge on Vanek.

601540[/snapback]

Don't know if they do this everywhere, but I noticed that they ran the Zamboni down the center of the ice after OT and before the shootout started. For two of the Sabres, it seemed as though they underestimated the slickness and let the puck get way too far in front of them.

In any event, Miller sure gave Laviolette something to think about, stealing that point. It was fun being at the game. I saw a fair share of Buffalo fans, but not enough to create a real vocal contingent. The bandwagoners down here are really starting to like the Canes again.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's going to do that, I'd rather have him scare the living hell out of the goalie by ripping a slapper from between the hash marks.  Shoot it right at his head and make the next two guy's jobs alot easier.

601540[/snapback]

:D:lol: When you die, we need to bronze that brain of yours.

Yup...anyone who thinks the Sabres are the best team in the East has a lot to learn.  We're good, and we'll make the playoffs interesting...but our lack of another solid defenseman killed us in this game and will keep us far from the Cup.  Its only going to get worse after the break if the Sabres dont pull a trade and get someone stronger back there.

601488[/snapback]

I agree with this post.

Sabres fans: we need to keep things in perspective here. This was supposed to be a "down year" at least as the experts were concerned...now the Sabres are 36-15-5, 77 points and 4th in the conference....enjoy the fact the Sabres matter again, but let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet. Seems some fans are expecting the Sabres to be a legitimate Cup contender....IMO, its almost impossible to think the Sabres are clearly a serious Cup contender, and what I mean by that is, nothing with this team has been proven in the playoffs yet.

More times then not, rookie goalies struggle in their 1st go-around in the playoffs. I think Miller should be fine, but who knows.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride the Sabres are giving to us fans.

Look at Ottawa, how much has their big time regular season success helped come playoff time? Not much.

I agree with AD and others, Sabres MUST find a way to get a Top 4 D-guy in the fold...even a guy like Staios or Ohlund would do, just to name a couple of guys.

That's an NHL-wide rule.

601775[/snapback]

Thanks for the clarification. Now that I've subscribed to the 2nd half of Center Ice, I'll be able to get myself back in the swing of things. I've only watched a few Sabres' games this season and feel woefully out of "the know" with respect to the roster, aside from a handful of players.

Sabres fans:  we need to keep things in perspective here.  This was supposed to be a "down year" at least as the experts were concerned...now the Sabres are 36-15-5, 77 points and 4th in the conference....enjoy the fact the Sabres matter again, but let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet.  Seems some fans are expecting the Sabres to be a legitimate Cup contender....IMO, its almost impossible to think the Sabres are clearly a serious Cup contender, and what I mean by that is, nothing with this team has been proven in the playoffs yet.

More times then not, rookie goalies struggle in their 1st go-around in the playoffs.  I think Miller should be fine, but who knows.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride the Sabres are giving to us fans.

Look at Ottawa, how much has their big time regular season success helped come playoff time?  Not much.

I agree with AD and others, Sabres MUST find a way to get a Top 4 D-guy in the fold...even a guy like Staios or Ohlund would do, just to name a couple of guys.

601742[/snapback]

It's impossible to say at this point how the playoffs will go. Neither Ottawa nor the Rangers have teams that are built for the traditional postseason and the Hurricanes are suspect between the pipes.

The team I fear most at this time is New Jersey and that's mostly due to their experience.

No way the Canucks would part with Ohlund, he's their #1.

Thanks for the clarification.  Now that I've subscribed to the 2nd half of Center Ice, I'll be able to get myself back in the swing of things.  I've only watched a few Sabres' games this season and feel woefully out of "the know" with respect to the roster, aside from a handful of players.

601781[/snapback]

Unless you like the sensation of throwing up in your mouth, try not to watch Rory Fitzpatrick too much.

Oh, and Novotny can go back to Rochester now. He's nowhere near ready for prime time.

It's impossible to say at this point how the playoffs will go.  Neither Ottawa nor the Rangers have teams that are built for the traditional postseason and the Hurricanes are suspect between the pipes.

The team I fear most at this time is New Jersey and that's mostly due to their experience.

No way the Canucks would part with Ohlund, he's their #1.

601782[/snapback]

And the Devils seem to matchup well with the Sabres...because when the Devils are on their game, they do not take a lot of penalties...which hurts the Sabres...because the Sabres strength is the PP

Thats true about Ohlund...and the Canucks might be reluctant to deal a D because Jovo cannot stay healthy...Oilers seem to make the most sense...maybe a guy like Spacek or Staios is more realistic at this point.

And the Devils seem to matchup well with the Sabres...because when the Devils are on their game, they do not take a lot of penalties...which hurts the Sabres...because the Sabres strength is the PP

Thats true about Ohlund...and the Canucks might be reluctant to deal a D because Jovo cannot stay healthy...Oilers seem to make the most sense...maybe a guy like Spacek or Staios is more realistic at this point.

601788[/snapback]

Right. I'm not sure the Canucks would see Biron over Auld as a great improvement.

My bet is that the move will be with the oilers.

I think a move that makes sense is Biron for the Oilers Jaroslav Spacek. Many people think this would undervalue Biron - but I think he would fit the Sabres style, and there is no way you are going to make a playoff run with Fitzpatrick as one of your pairings.

Right. I'm not sure the Canucks would see Biron over Auld as a great improvement.

My bet is that the move will be with the oilers.

I think a move that makes sense is Biron for the Oilers Jaroslav Spacek. Many people think this would undervalue Biron - but I think he would fit the Sabres style, and there is no way you are going to make a playoff run with Fitzpatrick as one of your pairings.

601917[/snapback]

Fitzpatrick is increasing my blood pressure as we speak...he MUST go!!!

And Spacek for Biron sounds solid...wouldnt mind getting a little bit more back...but if Darcy were to do that...I wouldnt complain

Fitzpatrick struggles with decision making and completing even simple plays. He was awful in Saturday's game, causing at least three icing calls because his passing is so woeful. Pairing him with McKee is killing Jay's legs late in games.

It's not like he's a young guy learning as he goes - dude is 31 years old.

Damn I thought he was MUCH younger then that...why not call up someone from Rochester and just waive Fitz already?

601939[/snapback]

Defenseman cupboard is pretty barren at this point. The choice is between Jillson (aack!), Paetch, and Janik. Everyone else is pretty much a veteran minor leaguer. It's quite a quandry.

Defenseman cupboard is pretty barren at this point.  The choice is between Jillson (aack!), Paetch, and Janik.  Everyone else is pretty much a veteran minor leaguer.  It's quite a quandry.

601950[/snapback]

The thought of Jillson makes me think "you know what, Rory isnt that bad" :D

Oh, and Novotny can go back to Rochester now.  He's nowhere near ready for prime time.

601785[/snapback]

His weaknesses were very obvious during yesterday's game. It made me realize how much of a difference maker Tim Connolly has been this year.

More times then not, rookie goalies struggle in their 1st go-around in the playoffs.  I think Miller should be fine, but who knows.

601742[/snapback]

Perhaps the numbers don't bear this out, but it always seems like a rookie goalie catches fire in the playoffs.

I can think of Roy winning in '86

Hextall carrying the Flyers in '87

I remember Sean Burke only playing about 10 games in the reg season in '88, and then leading the Devils to the conference finals in the playoffs as a rookie

Rookie Felix Potvin backstopped the Leafs on their run to the conference finals in '92-'93.

Brodeur took NJ to the conference finals in his rookie year (I think) and then won the Cup in his second season

Steve Shields was able to step in for Hasek and beat the Sens in the 1st round in '97

Brian Boucher caught fire, beat Hasek and the Sabres in the 1st round, and took the Flyers to the conference finals in 1998

Unfortunately I vividly remember Johan Hedberg outplaying Hasek when he took the Pens to the conference finals in '01

Kiprusoff carried the Flames to game 7 of the Cup two years ago (I know it wasn't his first year, but I thought I remember them calling him a rookie, similar to Miller this year)

Gigure was out of his mind for Anaheim a few years back, but I think that may have been his 2nd year

Anyways, there always seems to be an unknown young goalie who gets hot and makes a name for himself. I'm sure you could find a bunch who were playoff busts as well, like you said.

Let's just hope Miller steps it up.

I wonder if we could get Staois for Mika, or would we have to give up Marty? After all the Oilers trades Staois may be the odd man out.

As for the East, we matchup very well against the slower Rangers or Flyers, who we should meet in the 1st round. Tampa, Montreal, Toronto or Boston don't really scare me. Ottawa will be tough, same with NJ. Carolina is a bit weak in net, but strong elsewhere.

I think this team could make the conference finals. Winning the Cup will be tough this year. The good news is that we will be very good for a long time with a bunch of young players.

Perhaps the numbers don't bear this out, but it always seems like a rookie goalie catches fire in the playoffs. 

I can think of Roy winning in '86

Hextall carrying the Flyers in '87

I remember Sean Burke only playing about 10 games in the reg season in '88, and then leading the Devils to the conference finals in the playoffs as a rookie

Rookie Felix Potvin backstopped the Leafs on their run to the conference finals in '92-'93.

Brodeur took NJ to the conference finals in his rookie year (I think) and then won the Cup in his second season

Steve Shields was able to step in for Hasek and beat the Sens in the 1st round in '97

Brian Boucher caught fire, beat Hasek and the Sabres in the 1st round, and took the Flyers to the conference finals in 1998

Unfortunately I vividly remember Johan Hedberg outplaying Hasek when he took the Pens to the conference finals in '01

Kiprusoff carried the Flames to game 7 of the Cup two years ago (I know it wasn't his first year, but I thought I remember them calling him a rookie, similar to Miller this year) 

Gigure was out of his mind for Anaheim a few years back, but I think that may have been his 2nd year

Anyways, there always seems to be an unknown young goalie who gets hot and makes a name for himself.  I'm sure you could find a bunch who were playoff busts as well, like you said. 

Let's just hope Miller steps it up.

602041[/snapback]

There are many examples of rookie goalies that have performed very well in the playoffs including Conn Smythe winners like Dryden and Roy. My concern with Miller in the playoffs is that he looked extremely ordinary in the playoffs last year and the year before in Rochester. Hopefully, the season he has had this year and the extra year of maturity will allow him to significantly improve his postseason play. But, until he shows he can do it when it really counts, I will be holding my breath.

I hope the Sabres get Philly, Tampa, Boston, or the Rangers in the 1st round as I like the way the Sabres match up with them and think Ryan will have some pressure lifted from his shoulders against those teams. (I will be cringing when Jagr has the puck, but if the Sabres stay out of penalty trouble he should get a limited number of shots.) The Sabres don't match up well with NJ and I don't think Ryan could outplay Brodeur which he would have to do. The Sabres would likely lose to Ottawa or Carolina, but both series would be extremely entertaining and the Sabres could possibly surprise me.

The Sabres should beat Atlanta, but if Kovalchuk, Savard, Hossa, and Bondra overwhelm Ryan and Lehtonin finally learns how to play it could get ugly. I'd expect Buffalo to beat Montreal, but it would be a 7 game series as Montreal plays very well against the Sabres.