YOOOOOO's offseason

YOOOOOO

Resign: Nate Clements(Franchise), Jason Peters(long term), Ron Edwards, Josh Reed, Greg Jerman, Ryan Denney, Mike Schneck

Tender: Sam Aiken, Mario Haggan, Josh Stamer, Jabari Greer, Shaud Williams

Release: Mark Campbell(1mil--HIT=.237), Bennie Anderson(.893--HIT=1mil), Mike Williams(4.9--HIT=6.2mil), Jeff Posey(1.75mil--HIT=.437), Sam Adams(2.12mil--HIT=.375)

Free Agency: Steve Hutchinson LG, Kevin Shaffer LT, Lional Dalton DT, Will Demps FS, Chris Baker TE

Draft: Haloti Ngata DT --Ashton Youboty CB --Daryl Tapp DE --Greg Eslinger C --Jerious Norwood RB --Delanie Walker WR -- Zach Strief OT --Jeff Littlejohn DT

Offense

QB-- JP Losman, Kelly Holcomb, Tory Woodbury

RB-- Willis Mcgahee, Shaud Williams, Jerious Norwood, Lionel Gates

FB-- Daimon Shelton, Joe Burns, Ryan Neufeld

WR-- Eric Moulds, Lee Evans, Josh Reed, Roscoe Parrish, Delanie Walker, Sam Aiken

TE-- Kevin Everett, Chris Baker, Tim Euhus

RT-- Jason Peters, Zach Strief, Dylan Mcfarland

RG-- Chris Villarrial, Justin Geisinger

C-- Greg Eslinger, Duke Preston

LG-- Steve Hutchinson, Mike Gandy**, Ben Sobieski

LT-- Kevin Shaffer, Mike Gandy**, Greg Jerman

Defense

LE-- Aaron Schobel, Ryan Denney

DT-- Ron Edwards, Lional Dalton

DT-- Haloti Ngata, Tim Anderson, Jeff Littlejohn

RE-- Daryl Tapp, Chris Kelsay

SLB- Takeo Spikes, Mario Haggan

MLB- London Fletcher, Liam Ezekiel

WLB- Angelo Crowell, Josh Stamer

CB-- Nate Clements, Eric King, Jabari Greer

CB-- Terrance Mcgee, Ashton Youboty, Troy Vincent**

FS- Will Demps, Troy Vincent**, Rashad Baker

SS- Lawyer Milloy, Coy Wire

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hucthinson will probably resign, so once that happens I'll readjust my offseason...

June 1st cuts signing: Ted Washington DT***

I may be wrong, but I dont think you will see many june 1 cuts this year.  With the CBA expiring, you can no longer spread dead cap money over multiple seasons.

Someone correct me if i am wrong.

600946[/snapback]

Thats why i got the *** next to it...not sure how it will work this offseason....but i hear Ted will be cut at some point and he has expressed interest in playing for Jauron so, i wouldnt mind picking him up...

I'll good job, with a few changes. First of all, WRT any of the UFA's you mentioned, they need to take a reasonable deal or they're gone, and I wouldn't bother giving Jerman a contract offer. I'd also let Shaud walk. Aiken I'm plus/minus since he's a good ST'er, but he offers nothing as a WR. Keep him unless someone better comes along.

As for the releases, I'd keep Anderson since it costs more to release him than keep him and he has starting experience. I'd also keep Adams. And I'd add Villarrial as a release.

WRT FA signings, trying to get Hutch, Shaffer (if he's truly that good), and Dalton will be nigh impossible. I'd take making a strong push for Bentley and a decent RT, and Ted Washington should come cheap (the Raiders will release him before FA starts, since as has been mentioned, there's no advantage this year in waiting until June 1st).

A couple things

1. We need a backup to Mcgahee who if need be could take carries. Someone like a rock carwright, ron dayne, lamar gordon type.

2. We need a fb. Daimon Shelton is aging very slow, not much of a viable receiving threat. I'd look to the draft to fill this need someone like lawrence vickers.

3. Greg Eslinger kind of reminds me of a younger trey teague. Undersized, not very strong. Probably would be good in a zone blocking scheme. Wont blow anyone off the ball. Liability in the run game.

4. Steve Hutchinson is more then likely a pipe dream. I cant see seattle letting him go. Probably more likely we go after Lecharles Bentley and draft someone like Taitusi Lutui.

5. I think we keep Adams for another year. Then I'd re-sign Ron Edwards. As much as I like Ted Washington. Realisticaly we can't count on a 38 year old dt. We're aging on that side of the ball already, were we need to get younger.

6. If we sign Will Demps Troy Vincent is gone. I cant see Vincent agreeing to stay here and be a backup.

7. It cant be put off much longer but we need depth on defense. We gotta get younger on that side of the ball. Future replacements for guys like adams, fletcher, milloy, vincent.

8. I like the tapp pick.

Mad ghetto props for signing Kevin Shaffer...poor guy gets no recognition but is quickly becoming one of the better LTs in the NFL.

600945[/snapback]

How do you measure Shaffer? In terms of sacks allowed, penalities or both?

Let's look at the raw numbers for Shaffer and some of the other LT options:

Player Games  Penalties    Sacks Allwd

Shaffer      16          7.00    3.00

Backus      16          6.00    3.00

Shelton      16        9.00    6.00

Gandy        16        7.00    7.00

I don't have a listing of drop backs for QBs let's assume pass attempts equate to it for sake of argument. The Falcons had 451 last season by comparison the Lions had 520 and Browns had 498 and we had 459. Looking closer it would appear Backus is the best LT of those mentioned. While I don't think Shaffer is a bad consideration the question will likely come down to cost.

To me Backus is likely out of our price range, Shaffer might be available but again at what cost? Another guy I didn't include in my stats that should be available is Mike Pearson, while he's been injured the last two seasons he gave up 6.50 sacks back in 2003 when he played all 16 games in 515 pass attempts and likely cost the least of those shown. I feel if we were to sign him and take a guy like Colledge with our 2nd Round pick (and allow to possibly take Ngata or a DE like Mario Williams or Kiwi or CB like Jimmy Williams with our top pick depending what (else) we do in free agency.

Yep. Keeping Moulds at a 10.85 million dollar figure is the right thing to do.

Perhaps we can even give him a big raise and extend him for a few years. I would hate to let him slip away at such a low cost.

601049[/snapback]

Of course....lets cut him and have 6million on our cap for a empty roster space....Thats a great idea...

Of course....lets cut him and have 6million on our cap for a empty roster space....Thats a great idea...

601141[/snapback]

Sometimes a team has to bite the bullet. Certainly you agree, because this is what you are proposing to do with Williams.

Btw, is the June 1 rule no longer applicable because there is no contract in place for 07? I seem to remember reading this somewhere.

Sometimes a team has to bite the bullet. Certainly you agree, because this is what you are proposing to do with Williams.

Yeah, you have to take the cap hit sometime. It's not like it's magically going to go away.

Btw, is the June 1 rule no longer applicable because there is no contract in place for 07? I seem to remember reading this somewhere.

That is correct.

Thats alot of dead cap space

With Moulds on the roster, he eats up ~$10.8M in cap room, which is ~$6.1M in salary and another ~$4.8M in bonuses. Cutting him adds an additional ~$1.6M to cap, but saves the Bills ~$4.5M. The question isn't whether we want all that dead cap money on next year's cap, but if the $4.5M can be better spent?

With Moulds on the roster, he eats up ~$10.8M in cap room, which is ~$6.1M in salary and another ~$4.8M in bonuses.  Cutting him adds an additional ~$1.6M to cap, but saves the Bills ~$4.5M.  The question isn't whether we want all that dead cap money on next year's cap, but if the $4.5M can be better spent?

602023[/snapback]

The way I see it is if EM and MW are cut, the Bills stand to gain roughly 10.4 million dollars worth of cap room.

If I am correct, their fate will be decided during free agency. I think that if the Bills are able to lure a prominent free agent to Buffalo (Hutch, etc.), these guys are just flat out gone. If not, I guess we are stuck with them, their under-achievement, and their cap drain.

Not a pretty picture.

The way I see it is if EM and MW are cut, the Bills stand to gain roughly 10.4 million dollars worth of cap room.

If I am correct, their fate will be decided during free agency. I think that if the Bills are able to lure a prominent free agent to Buffalo (Hutch, etc.), these guys are just flat out gone. If not, I guess we are stuck with them, their under-achievement, and their cap drain.

Not a pretty picture.

602037[/snapback]

I completely disagree with you when it comes to Mike Williams. He's cut regardless of what the Bills do in free agency. Having such a huge salary, and bringing such little talent on the field makes him an easy decision. Cut him, free up the 6 million bucks and see if we can talk Moulds down from his current salary. I think cutting Moulds will be a very stupid idea, that would put the legendary Roscoe Parrish in as our 2nd WR...and this FA and Draft class of WRs looks pretty craptacular.

I'd find a way to hold onto Moulds.

I completely disagree with you when it comes to Mike Williams.

602067[/snapback]

Think so? I will all but cry tears of joy the day this slob is cut.

Moulds is where we disagree. He can only be cut as little as 1.5 mil. as per the NFL Players Agreement. He will count at least 9 mil toward the cap in 06. Yes, 9 mil for a washed up, whining malcontent who averaged all of 10.1 yards per catch, this due to a late season surge.

As I said, not a pretty picture.

I completely disagree with you when it comes to Mike Williams.  He's cut regardless of what the Bills do in free agency.  Having such a huge salary, and bringing such little talent on the field makes him an easy decision.  Cut him, free up the 6 million bucks and see if we can talk Moulds down from his current salary.  I think cutting Moulds will be a very stupid idea, that would put the legendary Roscoe Parrish in as our 2nd WR...and this FA and Draft class of WRs looks pretty craptacular.

I'd find a way to hold onto Moulds.

I agree that Williams is gone (unless he takes a massive paycut, which I don't see), and that Moulds should be approached about a big paycut. However I also don't see him taking anything substantial, and that will force the Bills to make a decision. And cutting him only to replace him with Parrish isn't the only option, as I see them looking at the FA WR pool (Givens, Bryant, Wayne, Jurevicius, Bradford, McCardell Boerigter, etc.).