interesting bit of trivia

tennesseeboy

Panthers have Reggie White??? That doesn't count. When did he play for that team. It couldn't have been more than a year, and surely he isn't in the HOF because of his time spent there.

600546[/snapback]

Is that how the Saints get HOFers? Paul Hornung, Jim Taylor?

Actually, the merger took place in 1970, though intraleague play (Superbowl)preceeded the merger by a couple of years.

600538[/snapback]

Thats right, there were no games between the NFL and AFL except the Superbowl & Probowl. Those probowls were games to watch as they meant something to the players, especially the AFL guys. It wasn't untill the AFL morphed into the AFC that there were regular season games played between the two conferences. My opinion is they would have been better off to leave the AFL intact, as the NL & AL are in baseball. The Superbowl & probowl would have a lot more meaning than they do today.

re: Billy Shaw - I've talked to him a couple of times, and he's very proud to be the only "AFL-only" player in the Hall.

As for the teams without HOF representation, Frez's link nails it. There are no "primary" enshrinees from the Falcons, Ravens, Jaguars, or Panthers. Anthony Munoz is the only "primary" Bengal, Elway the only Bronco, Lee Roy Selmon the only Buccaneer, Steve Largent the only Seahawk, and 'contributor' Jim Finks the only Saint...

Guest BackInDaDay
re: Billy Shaw - I've talked to him a couple of times, and he's very proud to be the only "AFL-only" player in the Hall.

As for the teams without HOF representation, Frez's link nails it. There are no "primary" enshrinees from the Falcons, Ravens, Jaguars, or Panthers. Anthony Munoz is the only "primary" Bengal, Elway the only Bronco, Lee Roy Selmon the only Buccaneer, Steve Largent the only Seahawk, and 'contributor' Jim Finks the only Saint...

600723[/snapback]

Just to represent some of those clubs better, I'd have no problem with Nobis(Falcons LB), Zorn (Seahawks QB) and Manning/little receiver whose name I forgot/Dempsey (Saints K) all having busts in the Hall. Why not? Back when the Falcons, Seahawks and Saints were baby franchises, these were the players that helped them breathe. You remember the Falcons Brand X rookies? Played when Tommy Nobis was there. Nobody knew who the hell they were coming out of college, and they painted "X" s over the numbers on the back of their helmets. ****, give them a bust too! That's what the game's about. No Zorn - no congressman. No Manning - no little Mannings! :doh: Hell, throw Archie's wife in there ,too! ;)