I always thought Gretzky looked shady

stevestojan

Wait, are you saying that YOU don't place illegal bets, steve?  Or are you saying that you're shady as well?

600652[/snapback]

I've never denied being shady.

I've placed bets.

I don't have more money than God like Gretzky does (thus having no reason to gamble).

I didn't get my family involved in some crazy gambling ring.

You think Wayne got Janet into it, or vice versa? If anyone, I think Janet is shady and Tochett approached both about it, and onle she bit. Wayne has always been one of the classiest all-world athletes I've ever seen. But that doesn't mean he didn't know about it, thus being an accessory of sorts.

I've never denied being shady.

I've placed bets.

I don't have more money than God like Gretzky does (thus having no reason to gamble).

600837[/snapback]

I do not understand the negativity towards Gretzky. He has not been proven guilty. In general, the mainstream press looks for ANY reason to jab the NHL and hockey. I'm suprised ESPN radio mentions one score on the morning radio. Instead, they focus on McSorely, Bertuzzi, the lockout, ect. Hell, they probably havent watched one game during the new season. IMO, its comparing apples to oranges. The product on the ice is better after the lockout. But, you'll never hear them mention anything positive.

They should be focusing on Tochett, NOT Gretzky. Since most people outside of hockey have never heard of Tochett, they focus on the largest icon in NHL history because it provides the most fuel for this story. I dont care how much his wife bet. Until they prove otherwise, Gretzky was not directly involved with the gambling ring.

It is hockey... What is more shadier? Doesn't surprise me.

Take a look at its past... A lot of things can happen between two countries, then mix in stuff like boxing, the mob, and two sets of accounting books... Etc...

Go back 50 years or more and you see where it all started. A simple look at history and the sport tells a lot.

Good... You gotta love baseball and what they did early on (even if it seemed harsh for some). They knew perception is very important.

The NFL is gonna (or maybe has) fall into that trap soon...

Sorry for rambling (what is new)... :doh:

I do not understand the negativity towards Gretzky.

600903[/snapback]

Face it, a majority of MB posters (here or anywhere else) will always be negative toward a non-hometown player/team that's been successful for a long time. The "tear 'em down" mentality is just human nature.

Please explain "how" Gretzky got is wife involved in a gambling ring.

600925[/snapback]

You got me... We will have to wait till it all comes out. I am passing judgement though which I can't defend or am not prepared to.

He has got to know what his legal wife is doing? Maybe she was banging Toccet... Or other wild scenarios... Who knows? :doh:;):lol:

All I know is that it doesn't look good for The Great One... And that should be his business. I hold him responsible for knowing what is going on in his wife's life... If he doesn't want to, why are they married?

You got me... We will have to wait till it all comes out.  I am passing judgement though which I can't defend or am not prepared to.

He has got to know what his legal wife is doing?  Maybe she was banging Toccet... Or other wild scenarios... Who knows? :doh:  ;)  :lol:

All I know is that it doesn't look good for The Great One... And that should be his business.  I hold him responsible for knowing what is going on in his wife's life... If he doesn't want to, why are they married?

600951[/snapback]

You are making my point. You shouldnt pass judgement until you know all the facts. That is why I have a problem w/ all the attention on this story. People are tainting Gretzky's name for no reason. If Gretzky is guilty, Ill be the first one to say I'm disappointed.

Just because they are married doesnt mean he is responsible for her actions. She has her own life and career. Therefore, she can support her recreational activies, in this case gambling. Married women a capable of making their own decisions and maintaining their own lifestyles outside of a marriage.

You are making my point.  You shouldnt pass judgement until you know all the facts.  That is why I have a problem w/ all the attention on this story.  People are tainting Gretzky's name for no reason.  If Gretzky is guilty, Ill be the first one to say I'm disappointed. 

Just because they are married doesnt mean he is responsible for her actions.  She has her own life and career.  Therefore, she can support her recreational activies, in this case gambling.  Married women a capable of making their own decisions and maintaining their own lifestyles outside of a marriage.

600975[/snapback]

I here you. I never liked WG's pro management style... So I am biased.

I guess you can call me old fashioned... Not old fashioned enough to not admit my wife makes more than me... :doh:;)

Just old fashioned to say that we can be part of each others lives and to know what is going on.

Looks like you were probably wrong again. Oh, well... It now appears that the wiretap thingy happened after the story broke, or a couple hours either way (implying to me at least that Tochett or someone called Gretzky and said "there's something about to go down".) Surely, it wasn't just coincidence. So Gretzky likely didn't know. This all could change again, and more info could come out that shows he is a lying weasel. But that doesn't appear to me to be the case. At least not yet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2328647