Going to Vegas for the first time

I'll be at NAB also. From set up through to dismantle My company is exhibiting.

PM me with your email addy and I'll send you lots of ideas

598792[/snapback]

I smell trouble brewing...GOOD trouble. :lol:

The advice to go off the strip to gamble is good.  Take it.

BUT, if you really want to get the feel of Vegas Strip gambling at it's traditional best, IMO...go play craps at the Mirage at about 3am.  They pump that sucker full of oxygen and the place just buzzes with excitement.

BTW, all you Vegas pros.  How's the Rio these days?  That place was always full of talent.  I never stayed there (seemed kind of second-tier), but would usually spend at least a couple hours there scoping the scene.  I wonder it the Hard Rock stole their cachet.

598752[/snapback]

When you say "Talent" Do you mean hookers ?

I'll be in Las Vegas for the first time in late April.  I'm there for a convention.  I could use some advice on stuff to do.  Here are some details:

> I'm staying at the Gold Coast.  It's off-strip but I'm saving a boatload on lodging.  I hear it's okay for the money.  Anyone know how far it is to the Las Vegas Conv.Ctr?  Any idea about public transportation?  Isn't there train that runs along the strip?  Does it go to the CC?

> Any suggestions on poker tourneys?  Nothing too rich.

> It will be ECHL playoff time, and I'm hoping the LV Wranglers are still playing.    Anyone ever go to a game?  Is there also an AAA baseball team in Vegas?

> Lastly, any must-see must-do suggestions for a first-timer?

PTR

598516[/snapback]

Yeah...find a member who can get you into the Mandaly Bay private stripper bar. :lol:

Double Down Lounge is the greatest dive bar in the world! Its by the Hard Rock. Do the pool at the Hard Rock. Try the rollercoaster on top of the Stratosphere. Best odds are downtown. Walking the strip is a blast any time day or night. Check out the mime outside Paris. He !@#$s with people walking down the street. The Blue Man group is awesome and so are all the other shows. Pink Taco is the best mexican restauraunt I have ever been. Nobu if you like sushi. Venetian has 15 of the best restauraunts in the world. Commanders Palaces is another great restauraunt. Get an In and Out burger. Check out Hoover Damn. Double down on aces and 8s. Drink lots of booze. Have a great time!

When you say "Talent" Do you mean hookers ?

598905[/snapback]

No. Just generally a clinetele of very attractive/exotic women. In had a latin feel to it...a lotta smokey-swank if ya get my drift.

I'll be in Las Vegas for the first time in late April.  I'm there for a convention.  I could use some advice on stuff to do.  Here are some details:

> I'm staying at the Gold Coast.  It's off-strip but I'm saving a boatload on lodging.  I hear it's okay for the money.  Anyone know how far it is to the Las Vegas Conv.Ctr?  Any idea about public transportation?  Isn't there train that runs along the strip?  Does it go to the CC?

> Any suggestions on poker tourneys?  Nothing too rich.

> It will be ECHL playoff time, and I'm hoping the LV Wranglers are still playing.    Anyone ever go to a game?  Is there also an AAA baseball team in Vegas?

> Lastly, any must-see must-do suggestions for a first-timer?

PTR

598516[/snapback]

Gold Coast is one of the biggest dives in town - but you are right its cheap. Great location right across the street with the Palms - very interesting sites there. It's not that far to the LVCC from there but it takes a long time to cross the strip. Gold Coast is on Flamingo Road and you may think its easy to walk to the strip from there but trust me its far. Taxi wouldnt be too bad. The monorail goes up the east side of the strip and has a stop at the CC, but the other stops are at the back end of the hotels and you will walk forever to get anywhere. Taxis arent too bad during the day when traffic isnt bad.

Most hotels that have poker rooms have daily tourneys - the best rooms in town are Bellagio, Mirage, probably Wynn. Bellagio often has high profile players there.

Wranglers are pretty good, but I have not seen any games at all. They play at Orleans Arena which is actually pretty close to Gold Coast - again by taxi. The 51's will be playing by then, but the park is a distance from both the CC and Gold Coast.

Go to some shows - I liked the Cirque shows at MGM and NYNY (I work at MGM so I saw it for free but its still a good show). Saw Blue Man when they were at Luxor, it was pretty good. Scintas are from Buffalo and put on a good show across the street from you at the Rio. If you're that kind of guy Celine Dion performs at Ceasars. Lots of good food if you dont mind paying - most of the restaurants at Bellagio are very good but also pricey - actually the cafe there is very good food and not as expensive. MGM has some good ones (not just because I work there) - I think Craftsteak is great, not sure the guy who said it was his worst dining experience - again a bit pricey. I would stay away from the buffets unless you are really hungry otherwise they are not worth it. Also some good restaurants at the Palms. Hard Rock is an experience - not sure you can get to the pool w/o paying for it.

As others said - go out, see the sites, walk around on the strip, gamble (not too much), etc. It's a good time when you come here for the first time. Enjoy

Last time I was in Vegas was 2002. Went to see Rush at the MGM (Big surprise, I know...).

Anyhoo, we stayed at The Mirage. Opposite ends of the strip. 9 of us were gonna try to get 2 cabs to the MGM, when I noticed 4 stretch limo's sitting there, with the drivers standing outside talking with each other. I went to the Consierge to enquire about the limo's, and he told me to walk up to one of them to see if they're available. So I did, and the driver of the first car in line asks how many in my party. Said 9, and he said that he had a 10 person limo, go get them!

We piled in, and he took us to the MGM. Right to the front door. Took the back street. Best thing about this? Flat $55 rate to anywhere on the strip! Might be more now, but it was a great deal! On the way back from the show to the Mirage, yep! Got a limo to The Mirage, this one was $60, but it was a 12 personn limo. Everyone chiped in $20 each way. Not only did the drivers get a really nice tip, but I had some really nice gambling money too boot!

check out Pure at Ceasar's Palace, its the hottest club there right now. I was there 3 weeks ago, so many hotties there. Afterwards, if you plan on staying out late-late, hit Drais' at the Barbary Coast.

BTW, it actually snowed for about 10min when I was there the weekend of Jan 14-15.

Two quick things. I was at the Hard Rock a year or so ago and you needed a wristband to get into the pool, so you may want to skip that.

I would avoid the daily cheap poker tournaments if you actually enjoy playing poker. They are structured to be over fast and just to get you into the poker room. I would suggest just finding yourself a game you can afford and play that. If you just want the tournament experience then go for it and be prepared to move all in quickly.

OK, three things. We love the food and beers at the Monte Carlo Brew Pub. Good times, Good Food, Good beer, plus I think they have a band Sunday-Thursday....