League's Lying/Denial Making it Worse

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NFL is buried head to ass in sand. The referees are a big joke and are ruining the game. It wasn't just the SB or the entire playoffs for that matter. This has been going on for years and is only getting worse. How much more money can the NFL rip people off for before admitting there is a problem with 60+ year old retirees officiating NFL games? I'm sick and tired of it. Anyone who doesn't think there is a problem with the refs is just delusional.

Agreed.  I simply mentioned in another thread that "a champion will overcome the referees" and Mad Buffalo Disease jumped all over me.  Pittsburgh got worked by the refs against Indy, and they held on.  Seattle had plenty of chances to prevail, and they didn't cash in on any of them.  But no doubt, Pittsburgh caught all the breaks, and they made the most of them.

598045[/snapback]

In many games, especially a tight game or one with relatively equally matched teams, the difference in winning and losing very frequently comes down to a handful of plays. When there are 3 or 4 calls on plays that could and would seriously effect the outcome, then the complaint about crappy officiating is relevent. In SB XL, the questionable (I'll side with the "bad" calls camp) calls had a major play, if not key play, in the scoring (or lack thereof) of 21 points. That does not include any possible points Seattle may have scored when there completeion to the 1-2 yards line was wiped out by the phantom "hold".

From February 5, 2005, Pittsburgh's NFL team will go by the name of the Pittsburgh Stealers.

If anyone thinks that a team with a QB with a 22.9 rating and needing the refs to stop virtually every opponent's drive with a back-breaking penalty deserved to win needs his brain cell examined.

598063[/snapback]

the steelers hardly lit it up either. ben coughed up 2 INTs, including one at the goal line. Mr. MVP Hines Ward dropped 2 balls, loud mouth porter was non-existent and the closest Palomolu got to to receivers was when has the handshake when the game was over. point is, officiating DOES matter, no question about it. if it didnt then why have officials in the first place?

I'm very pleased with the statement. People that want to blame the officials for the outcome can keep making excuses for everything problem they have, while people like me get stuff done!

598022[/snapback]

Lay off the hashish. It's killing your brain cell.

I'm very pleased with the statement. People that want to blame the officials for the outcome can keep making excuses for everything problem they have, while people like me get stuff done!

598022[/snapback]

I suppose the phantom holdling call in the 4th quarter -- you know, the one that erased a huge gain that would have set up a first and goal for the Seahawks at the two-yard line. Mr. Touchdown would have likely scored, and the Seahawks would have been up by three -- instead, Seattle was sent back to the 29 with a 2nd & 10 and down by four. Yeah, that is a big deal that changed the entire game.

I suppose the phantom holdling call in the 4th quarter -- you know, the one that erased a huge gain that would have set up a first and goal for the Seahawks at the two-yard line. Mr. Touchdown would have likely scored, and the Seahawks would have been up by three -- instead, Seattle was sent back to the 29 with a 2nd & 10 and down by four. Yeah, that is a big deal that changed the entire game.

598146[/snapback]

i hope the league FINALLY cleans up it's officiating fiasco. the only way to redeem that miserable super bowl would be to make it the turning point for when the league committed to competent officiating. not saying the league purposely gave it to the steelers -- it just happened by coincidence of bad calls is what i think -- i am saying it's time the league took all its billions and hired full time officials, had more of them on the field, used instant replay more effectively and ONCE AND FOR ALL CLEANED UP THE MESS!!!

i am saying it's time the league took all its billions and hired full time officials,

I've asked others, and nobody has given me an answer, but I'll try again -- how would hiring full time officials help in the least...? It's not like there's anything to do during hte offseason (and don't think that they're not reading the rule book already during the offseason, on their own time).

I don't see how that would help...

CW

Agreed.  I simply mentioned in another thread that "a champion will overcome the referees" and Mad Buffalo Disease jumped all over me.  Pittsburgh got worked by the refs against Indy, and they held on.  Seattle had plenty of chances to prevail, and they didn't cash in on any of them.  But no doubt, Pittsburgh caught all the breaks, and they made the most of them.

598045[/snapback]

Well Seattle did in fact " cash in" on a direct TD that was disallowed and play to the 1 that would have provably been a TD>

It's tough to score against one of teh best defenses in the league and Seattle had 2 scores wiped out by bullsh*t calls.

Not to mention that 2 of the Steelers TD drives were heavily aided by favorable calls.

The "champions will overcome" argument is a copout in this game. The calls did not even out. But maybe sometime in next year's pre-season games, Seattle will get a few gift calls to even things up. :(

link?

598182[/snapback]

Actually I found it: Letterman and Big Ben

And what about that touchdown which Ben ran for? Was it really a touchdown? Ben says he didn't think he got in but wasn't going to argue with the referee when he called it a touchdown. Ben says the Steelers were ready to go for the TD on 4th down if they had to, with Ben suggesting he was to run it again.

Agreed.  I simply mentioned in another thread that "a champion will overcome the referees" and Mad Buffalo Disease jumped all over me.

598045[/snapback]

How many champs can overcome 14 points being taken away?? Maybe if your playing the Bills in the Super Bowl but in a close matchup it makes it very tough, if not impossible. Sure the Seahawks did not play a perfect game. Not many teams do. The Steelers were the AFC champs so they were going to score some points. Whether it be on a long run, trick play whatever. Point is, in tight matchup, the refs can indeed determine the outcome. Hell, would you say that the Sabres, if they were really championship material, should have overcome the infamous skate in the crease in OT vs the Stars???

Do you really think the NFL is going to "apologize"? I kind of doubt that it would do any good and I suspect they would have to apologize for bad calls in almost every game. Calls are calls. Some are bad, some are good...some favor your team, some favor your opponent. Part of the game. Put on your big boy pants and deal with it.

The game was properly officiated, including, as in most NFL games, some tight plays that produced disagreement about the calls made by the officials," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in a statement.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/n...tory?id=2322687

597954[/snapback]

the league can say what they want, but by stating that the hasselbeck personal foul was correct makes them lose all credibility. Whats with the blindly supportig the officials?

598045[/snapback]

as spidersweb said, 3-4 plays usually make a game, and here they are pittsburgh's and seattle's.

Pittsburgh

1. 75 yd willie parker TD run

2. roth 40 yd duck to hines ward to the 1

3. randle el 50 yd TD pass to ward

Seattle

1. Hasselbeck TD pass to D-Jax

2. 23 yard completion on 3rd down to pit 18

3. Warrick 35 yd punt return to pit 45

4. Herndon 76 yd int return

5. Stevens 18 yd reception to pit 1

Notice anything? All of pittsburghs big plays led to TD's

Notice anything else? For seattle, # 1, 2, 3, and 5 were all wiped out on bogus penalties. Seattle scored after #4.

Think maybe they may have put up some more points had those 4 big plays not been wiped out?

the league can say what they want, but by stating that the hasselbeck personal foul was correct makes them lose all credibility. Whats with the blindly supportig the officials?

as spidersweb said, 3-4 plays usually make a game, and here they are pittsburgh's and seattle's.

Pittsburgh

Seattle

Notice anything else? For seattle, # 1, 2, 3, and 5 were all wiped out on bogus penalties. Seattle scored after #4.

Think maybe they may have put up some more points had those 4 big plays not been wiped out?

598219[/snapback]

Stop posting stuff that makes so much sense....some of these BILLS fans with their love affair with the Stealers fans and their coach and players are just still too excited about the Stealers win :(:(

I've asked others, and nobody has given me an answer, but I'll try again -- how would hiring full time officials help in the least...?  It's not like there's anything to do during hte offseason (and don't think that they're not reading the rule book already during the offseason, on their own time).

I don't see how that would help...

CW

598162[/snapback]

The league needs to enter the technology age with its on field product.

Since the playing fields are fixed, it would be a relatively simple task to add sensors and or cameras on the sidelines and goalline to offer definitive angles of view which the officials a should have access to when makeing game turning calls.

Replay should be expanded to allow for the review of all plays. If you are going to limit the number of plays that can be challenged, why not let them review everything.

Replay officials in the booth upstairs shojld be part of the crew and should have the ability to question and review any call on the field at any time and should have input into calls based on their perspective. The refs already have impromptu meetings on the field to discuss certain calls. What's the big deal about giving them more objective evidence to make a call?

Pittsburgh

Seattle

598219[/snapback]

Ramius, you're right man, but jeez...what's going on here? People are going mad!!! On Stevens' reception to the 1, there appeared to be holding. Maybe it wasn't, but it was close enough to flag. The lineman didn't need to get his hands up around the LB's neck, he could have just bumped him to the outside and it would've been a non-factor. Even still, while 1st and goal inside the 5 is HUGE, they still had the ball and were still in FG range. They came away with 0 points.

Warrick's punt return...There's always penalties on punt returns. They still had the ball, they could've made something happen. How come nobody is blaming the refs for the 30-yd pass that hit Stevens right in the chest on the 10 yard line??? Even after all of these penalties and setbacks, Seattle had plenty of chances to pin Pittsburgh deep, and their punter booted nine in a row through the endzone. And Holmgren punts from the 50 with six minutes left when they're down by two scores??? I know it was 4th & 12 (the refs sacked Hasselbeck :( ) but how do you give the ball back to one of the best clock-eating teams in the league, when you know you will need it twice more?

The calls certainly did not go their way- nobody is disputing that. But Seattle compounded that with poor decisions and poor play.

NFL OFFICES

NEW YORK, NY

FEBRUARY 7, 2006

THE COMMISSIONER AND THE REFEREES OF THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE WOULD LIKE TO APOLOGIZE TO THE SEATTLE SEAHAWKS.  THE LEAGUE AND ITS OFFICIALS SHOULD HAVE TAUGHT YOU HOW TO TACKLE SO THAT YOU DO NOT GIVE UP 7 POINTS ON THE LONGEST RUN IN SUPER BOWL HISTORY.  WE ALSO APOLOGIZE FOR DEPRIVING YOU OF ANY GAME FILMS OF YOUR OPPONENT, THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS.  HAD YOU HAD ACCESS TO FILM OF YOUR OPPONENT'S PREVIOUS GAMES, YOU PROBABLY WOULD HAVE NOTICED THAT WHEN THEY RUN A REVERSE TO THEIR EX-QB WIDE RECEIVER, THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE HE IS GOING TO THROW THE BALL INSTEAD OF RUNNING.  WE WOULD ALSO LIKE TO APOLOGIZE TO YOUR KICKER AND PUNTER, WHO WERE CLEARLY UNAWARE OF THE TREACHEROUS ATMOSPHERE INSIDE FORD FIELD IN FEBRUARY.  WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE STEELERS' WHITE JERSEYS, WHICH MAY HAVE ACTUALLY LOOKED BLUE INDOORS, THUS CAUSING YOUR QB, #8, TO THROW THE BALL RIGHT TO ONE OF THEIR DEFENDERS.  FINALLY, WE APOLOGIZE FOR PROVIDING A WORKING CLOCK, WHICH ACTUALLY TICKED OFF BY THE SECOND AT THE END OF EACH HALF WHILE YOUR COACH AND QUARTERBACK STARED BLANKLY AT EACH OTHER.

WE OFFER OUR SINCEREST APOLOGIES FOR THESE ERRORS.

PAUL TAGLIABUE

598037[/snapback]

They left out the fact that league would also like to apologise for not allowing the Seahawks to use the leagues top rusher in the game. Everyone says that you need to establish the running game first and that it is so important, Why wasn't Alexander used?

I'm not saying the officiating wasn't bad but except for Hasselbacks call for the blocked that was a tackle, every other call was debatable. And if the Seahawks really thought the officiating was so one sided why did they even continue to play?