Anyone a member of Buffalo Athletic Club or

stevestojan

Any thoughts on the BAC? (mainly the one on deleware)... reviews would be helpful

I also remember hearing some good things about the Jewish Community Center. I'm wondering about them as well, as they actually have 2 locations - one is a minute from my apt, the other less than a minute from work. I am just turned off by the fact that it seems very family oriented. I don't want a bunch of kids running around while i work out. I am just looking for a place that has a ton of cardio machines, and a ton of weight machines (i hate waiting).

Any thoughts on the BAC? (mainly the one on deleware)... reviews would be helpful

597880[/snapback]

When I worked at WKBW, I looked at it and thought it sucked BIG TIME. Old, smelly and poorly equipped, IMO. Reminded me of a bad YMCA. (Also, they were, as are most health clubs, very pushy and presumptive during the initial interview.) But, I was spoiled by my friend's GREAT health club in the suburbs of Milwaukee.

When I worked at WKBW, I looked at it and thought it sucked BIG TIME.  Old, smelly and poorly equipped, IMO.  Reminded me of a bad YMCA.  (Also, they were, as are most health clubs, very pushy and presumptive during the initial interview.)  But, I was spoiled by my friend's GREAT health club in the suburbs of Milwaukee.

597964[/snapback]

I think Stojan is looking for the steam room review or hottub hijinks highlights..... :D

I am just turned off by the fact that it seems very famaily oriented. I don't want a bunch of kids running around while i work out. I am just looking for a place that has a ton of cardio machines, and a ton of weight machines (i hate waiting).

598017[/snapback]

The BAC on Delaware was a singles hangout when I was a member a decade or so ago. No problem with the kiddies.

The pool was great and the machines were very good. It was a bit cramped, but it had a real AC vibe to it that I liked, as opposed to the sterile Mc-health club suburban type of facilities. Plus, you'd run into all kinds of characters, like Jimmy Griffin who played handball there.

I wasa member of the JCC for 3 years and really liked it a lot. I prefered the Delaware location but the Amherst one is a little newer and bigger. But they both have friendly people and offer a lot of different services. However, let me offer one warning. In the mornings, ther are a lot of old men and old men don't mind being naked and having conservations. :( Unless, you like that sort of thing. :(

Have worked out at the Delaware and Amherst BAC. I didn't get the impression either were all that kid friendly and the equipment was good. Location from your apartment should be a major consideration if you are getting into a program. I work at a university so I have a center for physical activity five minutes from my office with great equipment and lots of pilates, yoga, spinning and other classes. Students tend to be somewhat easier on the eyes that old fat wrinkly naked men. Take it from me. I'm old and fat and wrinkly.

I was a member of the Delaware BAC and loved it. They had, at the time, a nice pool, facilities and a great basketball court for pick up games (although I think that has been removed). The girls were terrific eye candy and it was not a suburban health club (Mc-Health Club), which I hate. The place had character and the folks were nice.

Have worked out at the Delaware and Amherst BAC.  I didn't get the impression either were all that kid friendly and the equipment was good.  Location from your apartment should be a major consideration if you are getting into a program.  I work at a university so I have a center for physical activity five minutes from my office with great equipment and lots of pilates, yoga, spinning and other classes.  Students tend to be somewhat easier on the eyes that old fat wrinkly naked men.  Take it from me. I'm old and fat and wrinkly.

598173[/snapback]

A university is what I use and recommend. No sales jerk trying to push you into buying what you were planning to buy anyways until the sales jerk simply turns you off about the club. University rec centers get their overcrowded times like most other gyms so I go very early, workout and adore all the very lovely ladies. Parking at the schools can be a problem which is why I go early so I can get street parking.