Signing difficulties because of

The Cincy Enquirer beat reporter Mark Curnutte posed the following:

"Free agency, which will begin March 3, could be greatly stilted if no extension is in place. Teams will be wary of committing to long-term contracts and paying big signing bonuses if the 2007 season is played without a salary cap."

and

"The draft is April 29-30, but teams are expected to have trouble signing first- and second-round picks to standard long-term deals without a CBA extension."

Hmmm...anyone have thought as to whether his statements have any validity?

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../602070362/1078

Obviously clumpy is the most astute commenter in this area but one would think that , other than gamesmanship by GM/Owners which MIGHT lead to a lot of "threatening" rhetoric, contracts should be able to be formulated to BOTH deal with the uncapped year AND with the built-in caveat of automatic changes implemented IF a new CBA is signed.

For example, bonues can be "guaranteed" in 1/N payments for each year of the a contract of N years. IF a CBA is signed THEN the guaranteed money can be paid immediately but the cap charge can be spread out over the contract length as is the rule under the current CBA. This automatic adjustment of agreed upon contracts (preexisting prior to the signing of the new CBA) would have to be part of the new CBA as well.

-RnJ

Obviously clumpy is the most astute commenter in this area but one would think that , other than gamesmanship by GM/Owners which MIGHT lead to a lot of "threatening" rhetoric, contracts should be able to be formulated to BOTH deal with the uncapped year AND with the built-in caveat of automatic changes implemented IF a new CBA is signed.

For example, bonues can be "guaranteed" in 1/N payments for each year of the a contract of N years. IF a CBA is signed THEN the guaranteed money can be paid immediately but the cap charge can be spread out over the contract length as is the rule under the current CBA. This automatic adjustment of agreed upon contracts (preexisting prior to the signing of the new CBA) would have to be part of the new CBA as well.

-RnJ

597476[/snapback]

Interesting. How do you think that would set with the player agents? - their up-front cut, etc. One can speculate that they might manipulate a player against signing into what-if future happenings for their own (agents) pocketbook reasons.

One can speculate that they might manipulate a player against signing into what-if future happenings for their own (agents) pocketbook reasons.

597503[/snapback]

But it would be unethical for an agent to consider his needs ahead of his clients. I'm sure they would never do that. :blush::P:devil:

My understanding, and thats all it is, is that without a new CBA in place before the league year starts, March 3rd I believe, bonuses can only be prorated over a 4 yr time frame. This makes 1st rounders, especially in the top 10 picks, a little harder to sign, as the average deal now is spread over 6-7 yrs.

This also means that the the time period to become an UFA will move from 4 to 6 yrs, so that will have a big effect as well. Now clubs may look to sign guys to 4 yr deals, with less upfront cash and more of a show me attitude, knowing the guy is not unrestricted for 6 yrs

Also, means some of the big name UFAs will find it harder to get big bonus money up front in the upcoming FA period.

But it would be unethical for an agent to consider his needs ahead of his clients.  I'm sure they would never do that.  :D  :D  :D

597505[/snapback]

Never! :D

I've come across what the cincy reporter stated, before. If they hold any validity, I wonder if it would be better to draft lower. The thought being that pick #25 might sign, but pick #8 might be consuled to hold out. Ugh!

I've been saying it for 6 months now. The NFL is going to crash and burn because of owners like Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones and their greed. The owners fighting amongst themselves about how to share billions of dollars let alone sharing it with the players is going to be the downfall of the NFL as we know it. The current CBA expiring after the 2006 season and the "threat" of an uncapped salary system is going to be a disaster for a whole bunch of teams and the league overall.