Carolina-Duke Tonight

eball

Yes, the greatest rivalry in college sports resumes this evening at the Dean Dome. Any thoughts?

Duke will have a hard time defending the interior NC trio of Hansbrough, Noel, and an emerging Terry (39 pts/20 boards in last two games). While not particularly tall, all are very aggressive and will take it right at Williams et al. He's a great shot blocker, but he'll need help or he could find himself in foul trouble early.

The real mismatch is at the guard position, though. The Heels turn the ball over too much, and don't have anyone they can comfortably put on Redick (who does?). In the end, JJ and turnovers spell doom for the Heels. 88-84 Duke.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I predict this game will be overhyped yet again.  Oops too late. 

Is "postdict" a word?

597452[/snapback]

Man, you are so right. Those two overhyped games last season that resulted in 1-point and 2-point victories for the respective teams showed that people just need to quit talking about this series. Who the hell cares about two programs that have won five national championships and appeared in umpteen Final Fours over the past 13 seasons?

:blush::P

is umpteen more or less than 13? as I would guess that over the past 13 years, they could have only appeared in 13 final fours, course I could be wrong. :P:lol:

Man, you are so right.  Those two overhyped games last season that resulted in 1-point and 2-point victories for the respective teams showed that people just need to quit talking about this series.  Who the hell cares about two programs that have won five national championships and appeared in umpteen Final Fours over the past 13 seasons?

:blush:    :devil:

597457[/snapback]

is umpteen more or less than 13? as I would guess that over the past 13 years, they could have only appeared in 13 final fours, course I could be wrong. :blush:  :P

597470[/snapback]

It could be up to 26 (two teams). Of course this and the other points render tonight's almost meaningless except for entertainment value. The meaningful games come much later.

but there have only been 13 final 4's in the past 13 years, sure there have been 52 participants, but only 13, or umpteen, final fours. Perhaps Umpteen is 13 in Ubby-Dubby language

It could be up to 26 (two teams).  Of course this and the other points render tonight's almost meaningless except for entertainment value.  The meaningful games come much later.

597474[/snapback]

is umpteen more or less than 13? as I would guess that over the past 13 years, they could have only appeared in 13 final fours, course I could be wrong. :blush:  :P

597470[/snapback]

Pretty sure you are wrong. Two programs could potentially make 26 final fours in the last 13 years.

Duke is favored by six, and I say they cover.  Unfortunately.

597495[/snapback]

I agree. I'm a Heels fan (but respect the hell out of Duke and coach K). NC is REALLY young. I just hope they stay in the game and make Duke sweat.

With that said, the job Williams is doing with the Tar Heels and Self is doing with Kansas is just incredible, IMO. Hats off to both of those guys.

I agree.  I'm a Heels fan (but respect the hell out of Duke and coach K).  NC is REALLY young.  I just hope they stay in the game and make Duke sweat.

With that said, the job Williams is doing with the Tar Heels and Self is doing with Kansas is just incredible, IMO.  Hats off to both of those guys.

597504[/snapback]

I will not be watching till snd half

Terps-UVA on at 7.00, Sabres-LesHabitants on at 7.30, Scrubs on at 9-10, so pretty well takes care of my tuners on the tivo. So 10.pm here I come!!!!

Just as a quick note, the Terps are really bad this year, but its like watching the Bills, no matter how bad, gotta do it

Lets see...in the past 23 years the two programs have combined for 6 National Titles, 18 Final Four Appearances, play twice a year and are located less than 10 miles away. Yeah, I'd say that rivalry is pretty good...

As an avid Duke fan, I say Duke by 7, only because of some late free throws by JJ.

I agree.  I'm a Heels fan (but respect the hell out of Duke and coach K).  NC is REALLY young.  I just hope they stay in the game and make Duke sweat.

With that said, the job Williams is doing with the Tar Heels and Self is doing with Kansas is just incredible, IMO.  Hats off to both of those guys.

597504[/snapback]

If this NC team gets into the tourney and wins a game or two, it will be Roy's greatest coaching job to date. Who loses their top SEVEN scorers yet finds a way to remain competitive (4th in the ACC right now and ranked 23/24 in the polls)?

The really scary part is when you look at the class he has coming in next year...

Lets see...in the past 23 years the two programs have combined for 6 National Titles, 18 Final Four Appearances, play twice a year and are located less than 10 miles away.  Yeah, I'd say that rivalry is pretty good...

As an avid Duke fan, I say Duke by 7, only because of some late free throws by JJ.

597602[/snapback]

OK, so now we have this umpteen thingy bracketed. 23 years = 18 final fours. Therefore umpteen final 4s in 13 years is a number smaller than 18 but greater than bupkiss.

OK, so now we have this umpteen thingy bracketed.  23 years = 18 final fours.  Therefore umpteen final 4s in 13 years is a number smaller than 18 but greater than bupkiss.

597623[/snapback]

There are, like, a bazillion mistakes in that analysis.

Last 15 seasons:

Championships:  Duke 3, UNC 2

Final Fours:  Duke 6, UNC 7

So, it appears that "umpteen" in this case equals 13.  Hope everyone is happy now.

597631[/snapback]

POOJER started it, it's all his fault.

Again.

I predict...another loss prevented by the officials helping Duke out.  Once was a joke but TWICE in a row?  What IS it with officials these days?

597734[/snapback]

The difference tonight is that the opposing coach (Roy) has the officials' respect as well -- a factor lacking in Duke's previous two outings.

Regardless, I never like to blame officiating. The good/great teams generally get "more" calls going their way because they are the aggressors and they take the game to their opponents. They force the issue. There's no conspiracy. As Tar Heel fans we had to put up with those theories when Dean was our coach; now Duke has to listen to it under Coach K. Roy's teams play the same way.