What's w/the yapping about officiating..?

Boatdrinks

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a fan of either team, but as a football fan, I actually feel cheated out of what could have been a great game.  The officials should never be part of the outcome and they put themselves at the forefront.

596892[/snapback]

The officials stunk. But they didn't cheat you out of a good game. Both teams also stunk. I'm not even sure the officials stunk worse.

There was no saving that game. It might have been closer, but it wasn't going to be better.

The officials stunk.  But they didn't cheat you out of a good game.  Both teams also stunk.  I'm not even sure the officials stunk worse. 

There was no saving that game.  It might have been closer, but it wasn't going to be better.

596904[/snapback]

You may be right on that. Both teams actually did look like crap.

You may be right on that.  Both teams actually did look like crap.

It's hard NOT to look like crap when you have bogus drive-killing penalties on big plays that would otherwise extend drives and/or put you in scoring range.

And I think it's an embarrassment that a QB with a rating of 22.9 could actually "win" the SB. Think about that. Roethlisberger would have been better served just handing the ball off to his RB's and running for yardage than throwing the ball. Hell Vick could have done that.

Aparently you didn't see the play, or only saw what you wanted.  The defender touched DJ beyond 5 yards, and that is as much PI as DJ's "push-off" was defensive PI.  If you call one, you HAVE to call the other.

596885[/snapback]

Absolutely correct, MBD. I'm still ticked. At least it didn't happen to us. :doh:

Absolutely correct, MBD. I'm still ticked. At least it didn't happen to us.  :doh:

I hate lousy officiating no matter WHO it favors or doesn't, even when it favors the Bills. I think it was the Carolina game this year where a Bills player fumbled and the Panthers recovered deep in Bills territory for what would have been the game-clincher, but ruled the Bills player was down by contact. I'm glad the Bills lost that game.

On replay it looks like he didn't get it.  So HOW in real-time could any official have signalled that he DID get it?  That's what I want to know.  The call should have been no TD and then on review it wasn't conclusive.

596894[/snapback]

Watching that play live, anyone would have noticed the official coming in from the sideline, who made the call did not signal TD until after Ben put the ball across the goal line after he was already down. The ref wasn't sure so he should not have signaled TD. That was a terrible call and it should have been reviewed as a non-touchdown. No way they could have overturned it into a TD.

Blatant?  If that was blatant than Michael Irvin should have been kicked out of the NFL with nary a stat to his credit sans hanky.

Ridiculous.

596856[/snapback]

Speaking of Irvin: Why is he on TV? Wait, before you answer that look up ASSCLOWN in Websters. Yup, thats him! Hell, he even dress the part!

Seriously, what does he add other than to chip away at the credibility of half time shows? How many times does this guy need to be caught with blow to get removed from the air? ? ? ?

Can you imagine Irvin and Sanders on the air at the same time? If this ever happens you will hear old television sets exploded while trying to display the billions of colors at once that they have in their "suits".

Shoot me now

Watching that play live, anyone would have noticed the official coming in from the sideline, who made the call did not signal TD until after Ben put the ball across the goal line after he was already down.  The ref wasn't sure so he should not have signaled TD.  That was a terrible call and it should have been reviewed as a non-touchdown.  No way they could have overturned it into a TD.

Exactly. I was going to mention how the zebra coming from the sideline didn't signal TD until he got to the pile and saw the ball over the line, after Roethlisberger dropped it no less!

Nah.  What's the difference between First and goal at the two down by four with four minutes gone in the fourth quarter and 2nd and 20 at the 29?

What's the difference between a TD and a FG?

Pretend the Seahawks are the BILLS.  Now look at it again.

596848[/snapback]

Don't think so Darin. The calls were legit. You cannot tell from that replay that is was NOT a TD. On the other play you refer to , Madden said it wasn't a hold. Lincoln Kennedy ( a former NFL OL ) said it was. I've seen holding called for less. Bottom line-make a better play. Stevens had several drops on catchable balls. Those were bigger than a borderline hold. Forget about the hawks being the Bills. Pretend they're the PATRIOTS. Then I'm sure it's a push off, BR surely scored a TD and the Oline is holding on every pass play for Crisesakes! How about just making the catch, getting open w a legit move, not being in a position where you have to hold, and coming up with a bigger play than your opponent?It's about impartiality here. I guess in an atavistic way some Bills fans always have to side with the loser. :blush:

On replay it looks like he didn't get it.  So HOW in real-time could any official have signalled that he DID get it?  That's what I want to know.  The call should have been no TD and then on review it wasn't conclusive.

596894[/snapback]

Because the guy on the field wasn't looking at a REPLAY initially! He could see depth because it was live action. Only a freakin' millimeter of that ball has to break the plane. Doesn't matter where it ends up at the end of the play. On replay it looked as if it surely could have broken the plane, not enough to overturn there. Replay is only good for totally obvious calls-were both feet down, was the knee down before a fumble, control of ball etc. It truly sucks for anything requiring depth perception. That stright from the sideline angle is useless. They'd be better off with a camera above the goal line-might have shown something there. He called a TD on the field because he thought it looked like the ball broke the plane. :blush:

Can any steelers/referee supporter  explain why Hasselback's 'block below the waist' call is correct?

:blush:  :P  :devil:

596890[/snapback]

That was a bad call. It was a tackle, not a block. But people forget that it was already steelers ball of the INT. Just an extra 15 yards, would not have negated the INT. And 'hawks definitely got away w/ a personal foul on a hit OB on Ward in 1st half. A blatant push several steps out. That kind of balanced out I guess.

Watching that play live, anyone would have noticed the official coming in from the sideline, who made the call did not signal TD until after Ben put the ball across the goal line after he was already down.  The ref wasn't sure so he should not have signaled TD.  That was a terrible call and it should have been reviewed as a non-touchdown.  No way they could have overturned it into a TD.

596970[/snapback]

He signaled TD way before he got to the pile. Was much closer to the pilon than the pile. Nice try though. If you thought it was a TD, wouldn't you signal TD and check replay to overturn other than say it wasn't and have replay inconclusive? :blush:

I agree- crybabies cant put it on their own team- it has to be something else....this wont be a popular statement, but when we (me included) whined about the great lateral thrown by Wycheck, we ignored the 3 players who never should have left their lanes, and THAT is what cost us a shot at the superbowl- and the easiest championship ever.

How about the non-call when Porter horse collared alexander in thr 4th. It wasnt even close. That tackle was the textbook grab the shouldre pads horse collar tackle tjhat the NFL said was banned this year. Banned until it is going to penalize the team they want to win the SB i guess.

Nah.  What's the difference between First and goal at the two down by four with four minutes gone in the fourth quarter and 2nd and 20 at the 29?

What's the difference between a TD and a FG?

Pretend the Seahawks are the BILLS.  Now look at it again.

596848[/snapback]

I can, and have- Wycheck threw a perfectly legal lateral. Happy now?

How about the non-call when Porter horse collared alexander in thr 4th. It wasnt even close. That tackle was the textbook grab the shouldre pads horse collar tackle tjhat the NFL said was banned this year. Banned until it is going to penalize the team they want to win the SB i guess.

597139[/snapback]

While we're getting obscure, I remember one drive where Seattle got a brutal 3rd down spot, I think around their 30. I thought Holmgren would review the spot but they punted. Small, I know, but it could have been big.