OT - Fraud Email

Realist

Just received one of those emails that asks you to fill out this online form with your accounts and social security # so they can "verify" the information.

I know its a fake for identity theft and no I'm not stupid enough to fill it out. I know there is somewhere that you can report this to. Does anyone have any idea where it is I can report this?

Just received one of those emails that asks you to fill out this online form with your accounts and social security # so they can "verify" the information.

I know its a fake for identity theft and no I'm not stupid enough to fill it out.  I know there is somewhere that you can report this to.  Does anyone have any idea where it is I can report this?

43520[/snapback]

Are they pretending to be eBay, PayPal, your bank, or any other reputable firm? If so, report it to them. Otherwise, I'm not sure :lol:

Your state's web site might have contact info for a Consumers' Affairs Dept. Try there.

You can forward it to your ISP's abuse department. For instance, abuse@adelphia.net would sent it to adelphia's policy enforcement team. If the email address isn't spoofed, you can also forward it to the senders ISP. For example, if its a hotmail account you can forward it to abuse@hotmail.com. If the email is directing you to a link, you can contact the IPP who is hosting that website and let them know.

Are they pretending to be eBay, PayPal, your bank, or any other reputable firm?  If so, report it to them.  Otherwise, I'm not sure :w00t:

Your state's web site might have contact info for a Consumers' Affairs Dept.  Try there.

43528[/snapback]

They're pretending to be my bank, even though I don't have any accounts there. Pretty swift, huh? :lol:

I think you're right, that's where I read to send it to. The place they claim to be. Thanks.