One idiot's two thoughts on the Super Bowl

Looks like the chatter all week with Joey Porter left Stevens with something in the back of his mind. He dropped passes all over the field in crucial junctures of the game, including a perfect strike from Hasselbeck which would've set Seattle up on around the 5-yd line. I bet even his mom thinks he had a bad game. At least he has a Super Bowl TD catch, they can't take that away.

He was getting open pretty consistently, even though he had the dropsies. A big, athletic pass-catching TE is such a weapon in the NFL, and I think it could be the way to beat Pittsburgh. Dallas Clark for Indy had a decent game, including a 50-yd catch-and-run TD, but Manning only went to him three other times. I think against Pittsburgh's zone blitz, you need a TE who can be a consistent target when a LB or safety is covering him. Furthermore, an athletic TE can create mismatches against a zone blitz when a D-lineman is forced to drop into coverage. Hopefully Everett can develop into a weapon for the Bills.

As for Shaun Alexander, he compiled a quiet 95 yards on 20 carries. A pretty respectable night, but his M.O. is getting into the endzone, and he was unable to do so. I thought he was slightly underused. When Seattle was down by two scores, I understand the desire to throw the ball a bit more. But when they caught a break on Ben's horrible INT, and they pulled within 14-10, I thought they should've hammered Alexander. He was consistently gaining 3, 4, 5 yards.

That's all I got.

Looks like the chatter all week with Joey Porter left Stevens with something in the back of his mind.  He dropped passes all over the field in crucial junctures of the game, including a perfect strike from Hasselbeck which would've set Seattle up on around the 5-yd line.  I bet even his mom thinks he had a bad game.  At least he has a Super Bowl TD catch, they can't take that away.

He was getting open pretty consistently, even though he had the dropsies.  A big, athletic pass-catching TE is such a weapon in the NFL, and I think it could be the way to beat Pittsburgh.  Dallas Clark for Indy had a decent game, including a 50-yd catch-and-run TD, but Manning only went to him three other times.  I think against Pittsburgh's zone blitz, you need a TE who can be a consistent target when a LB or safety is covering him.  Furthermore, an athletic TE can create mismatches against a zone blitz when a D-lineman is forced to drop into coverage.  Hopefully Everett can develop into a weapon for the Bills.

As for Shaun Alexander, he compiled a quiet 95 yards on 20 carries.  A pretty respectable night, but his M.O. is getting into the endzone, and he was unable to do so.  I thought he was slightly underused.  When Seattle was down by two scores, I understand the desire to throw the ball a bit more.  But when they caught a break on Ben's horrible INT, and they pulled within 14-10, I thought they should've hammered Alexander.  He was consistently gaining 3, 4, 5 yards.

That's all I got.

596170[/snapback]

Stevens was a joke. He couldn't hold on to anything. Hasselbeck showed signs of a leader by continuing to go to him, but I don't think I would've. While Stevens had a bad game, I thought Porter was pretty quiet also.

I agree on the Alexander part. He appeared to be getting into rhythm on Seattle's TD drive, and he continued to look good on their next drive after Pittsburgh went 3-and-out. After cruising down the field, Hasselbeck threw a bad pick, which he is usually good for once a game.

By the way, wasn't that the worst call ever when they got Hasselbeck for 'going low' on that tackle??? He never touched the blocker, and put his shoulder into the thigh of the Steeler CB. That was a big 15 yards.