WORST CALL THAT WENT AGAINST SEATTLE?

Which Call Against Seattle Was the Worst?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Which Call Against Seattle Was the Worst?

• Rothlesberger TD when Ball was Down Before Goal Line
    • Push-Off By Ingram which Nullified Seattle TD
    • Holding Call Nullifying Seattle's 1st & Goal from the 2
    • Illegal Block on Hasselback

I thought the refs were terrible BUT I did think that was a touchdown. I thought the ball (before he got hit) reached the front end of the white stripe. Impossible to tell with given camera angles. Clearly, clearly! No hold - and the illegal block is laughable. Offensive pass interference is questionable - ask any DB in the NFL and I bet they'll say YES - league is so tough on DB's - rules SO in favor of the recievers...clearly extended the arm(not a lot of contact)...have a hard time with this one. That holding call is the one that was the game changer. My 2 cents.

597146[/snapback]

Are you sure what you saw touching the line wasn't his GLOVE? The ball and the glove are dark colors. Holding the ball sideways (tip toward the pylon and laces parallel to the plane of the chaulk) there is a couple of inches before you get to the ball... A couple of inches of hand/glove. Given the ball laces were parallel to the plane... You need a greater amount of thrust across the plane with your hand/glove to get the ball to cross by a hair... IE: a greater angle has to be taken. And BR had that ball pretty much wrapped up under his upper torso.

Look at it again. I see only the glove touching the line. "If only the glove crosses on the try, you must nullify!" :blush::devil::lol::P

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i now am totally confused as to what 'breaking the plane' of the goalline is...in the broadcast they said all they had to do was get INTO the white line area...not cross it...in which case i agree with them..the football was into the white line..but it never crossed it, which i always believed a touchdown was..(hench BREAKING the plane)...somebody clear this up for me?

595839[/snapback]

By "plane" they mean in the Euclidean geometric sense; the plane is infinitely wide, infinitely tall and, most importantly, infinitely thin.

The thickness of the painted line at the front of the goal line varies from field to field and even from point to point on the same field, especially on grass, so they go by the "plane of the goalline" which is positioned on the leading edge of the painted line instead.

The football crossing the leading edge of the painted goalline, even by just a smidge, is a touchdown.

Didn't they say that in CA... Years ago when Mike Holmgren coached highschool that him and Leavy actually played a game together?

Leavy was the ref at the time also.  They both remembered each other.

Not sure if this was noted.

597152[/snapback]

I guess the most important thing is HOW Leavy remembers Holmgren. That they didn't mention.

By "plane" they mean in the Euclidean geometric sense; the plane is infinitely wide, infinitely tall and, most importantly, infinitely thin.

The thickness of the painted line at the front of the goal line varies from field to field and even from point to point on the same field, especially on grass, so they go by the "plane of the goalline" which is positioned on the leading edge of the painted line instead.

The football crossing the leading edge of the painted goalline, even by just a smidge, is a touchdown.

597703[/snapback]

Exactly... That is what I was trying to say. Look on the replay and the ball doesn't even get a "smidge" in on the leading edge... Some of the width of his hand glove do... But the ball never breaks any of the leading paint edge line.

Just my opinion.

I guess the most important thing is HOW Leavy remembers Holmgren. That they didn't mention.

597709[/snapback]

That is what I was thinking also... They never went into that...

The most damning thing I think is what Lori brought up... The link to Holmgren and the apology the league made to the NYG's and the subsequent leak (by Holmgren?).

league's bold face lies:

-- "The game was properly officiated, including, as in most NFL games, some tight plays that produced disagreement about the calls made by the officials," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in a statement.

unreal, u know they're lying when they wont discuss specific calls. the 15 yarder on hasselback, for example, 100% bad call.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/n...tory?id=2322687

Not one call altered the outcome of the game.

597868[/snapback]

Actually, every call alters the outcome of a game, good or bad.

It's just impossible to say HOW a given call alters the outcome. Could be that, if the Sehawks are given that early TD, the Steelers have to pass downfield more to compensate for the deeper hole...and Rothlesberger and Ward both have better days in a more vertical passing game against poor safety play, en route to a 31-10 victory...

refs and having a wuss like alexander for your supposed "stud" rb did the hawks in. next time holgrem needs to get a real MVP and drop the challenge flag at will, even on plays that he knows arent reviewable to embarress refs and at least make them explain themselves.

Well, to me, that was by far the best halftime show ever. Even if they did suck. Because of the extreme and often criminal sucktitude of 40 previous halftime shows.  :(

595847[/snapback]

U2 was awesome several bowls ago.

Ashley Simpson however.... BWWWWHAAHAHAHAHAHA!! :angry:

Could have been a good game except the officials truly ruined it.  I am no fan of either team so I have no particular axe to grind or bias. other than wanting to see a good Super Bowl.  But consistently and suspiciously throughout critical moments of the game the officials made calls that consistently went against the Seahawks.  Granted one of them was overturned (one of them was not), but the question remains why so many calls against Seattle?  In particular, which call do you think was the worst?

595793[/snapback]

I thought it was poorly played as well- and poorly coached, especially on the seattle side- Holmgen had the worst coaching performance in SB history