worst officiated super bowl ever

Dr. K

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a ball placement that they measured for in the first half, ending the Seahawk possession, I believe just before the possesion that Pitt scored on.  It appeared when the player went down after the catch and run that he had the entire football over the screen generated red first down line.  The ref placed it 4 inches short. 

I'd like to see the player fall again.  After that, the game turned around.

595670[/snapback]

What was worse, they never showed a replay. On my recollection, it was a clear first down. It may not have been, but a replay would have been nice to prove my eyesight wrong.

These three calls all took Seattle out of favorable TD/FG situations.

595726[/snapback]

And those are just the obvious ones because of field position. SO many of the holding calls against Seattle could have not been called. And hey, that's up to the refs...IF they are going to call them both ways. But after the first few "iffy" calls, I started paying attention, and Pitt was doing the same things, if not worse.

These are plays that contributed to punts throughout the game.

Not to mention giving Pitt that TO when the play clock had expired on that last drive! I couldn't believe it.

On the non-td in the corner of the end zone by the seahawks where it wasn't challenged - it seemed obvious that he was out - but then i could have sworn that his right foot hit the pylon on the way out - would this count as in bounds?

On the non-td in the corner of the end zone by the seahawks where it wasn't challenged - it seemed obvious that he was out - but then i could have sworn that his right foot hit the pylon on the way out - would this count as in bounds?

595757[/snapback]

Oh boy, here we go again :doh:

He needs to establish possession on the ground in bounds first, then hit the pylon.

ok, so if he clearly has posession of the ball and gets one foot in and one foot on the pylon going out he is out of bounds?

595777[/snapback]

The pylon is considered the "air over the endzone". So by touching the pylon, it's the same as breaking the plane. But, it is not the same as touching the actual ground. Does that make any sense?

ok, so if he clearly has posession of the ball and gets one foot in and one foot on the pylon going out he is out of bounds?

595777[/snapback]

How would you rule a player who get one foot in, and the other one inside the pylon, but still OB? Hitting the pylon does not constitute hitting the ground for a catch to be good.

By the same token, if hitting the pylon constitutes hitting the ground, why should a player be penalized if his foot reached over the pylon and didn't touch it, on the way out of bounds?

The confusion seems to be with hitting the pylon by a runner. On those, possession of a catch is not in dispute.

595777[/snapback]

Before his left foot hit the pylon, his right foot had stepped out of bounds. That ended the play right there.

Bad calls or not...the Seahawks didn't DESERVE this game. Jeremy Stevens played timidly and soft (just as Jerry Porter predicted). The Seahawks gave up the longest TD run in SB history. Their D surrendered two first downs with six minutes left. They botched four scoring opportunities that could have provided them 12 points. The refs weren't doing them any favors, but they didn't shut the door on them.

The biggest joke call of the game was the personal foul penalty on MH. How do call a tackle on the player carrying the ball a block below the waist??? :angry::doh: These refs didn't know the difference between a tackle and a block. What a bunch of jerkoffs.

Bad calls or not...the Seahawks didn't DESERVE this game. Jeremy Stevens played timidly and soft (just as Jerry Porter predicted). The Seahawks gave up the longest TD run in SB history. Their D surrendered two first downs with six minutes left. They botched four scoring opportunities that could have provided them 12 points. The refs weren't doing them any favors, but they didn't shut the door on them.

595796[/snapback]

Their biggest problem was their horrid clock management. They totally blew it at the end of the 1st half and didn't do much better at the end of the game. I don't know if was more Holmgren or Hasselbeck, but it was plain terrible.