China radar at South Pole...

worldtribune.com

China radar at South Pole could sabotage U.S. spy satellites

Thursday, February 2, 2006

Beijing announced plans last week to build a high-frequency radar on the South Pole. Analysts say the radar could be used to disrupt U.S. intelligence satellites.

The radar will be built at China’s Zhongshan Station, where Beijing has set up of a space environment lab.

National security analysts say the South Pole site, because of its remoteness, could be used by China to develop anti-satellite lasers capable of blinding or disrupting U.S. reconnaissance satellites, most of which pass over the pole.

The station will consist of 20 antenna units, including 16 units for the main antenna and four for the auxiliary antenna. Each antenna is 20 meters high. The high-frequency radar can detect ionospheric convection within a range of 3,000 kilometers.

Chinese officials told Xinhua the station would be used to measure the polar space environment.

China’s space program, unlike the U.S. space program, is directly related to Chinese military operations.

A Pentagon report on the Chinese military last year said China was “working on, and plans to field, ASAT systems.”

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

National security analysts say the South Pole site, because of its remoteness, could be used by China to develop anti-satellite lasers capable of blinding or disrupting U.S. reconnaissance satellites, most of which pass over the pole.

Most of 'em pass over China too...so I can see why the Chinese would want to build a laser at one of the most desolate and remote spots on the planet. :blush:

China’s space program, unlike the U.S. space program, is directly related to Chinese military operations.

594779[/snapback]

:blush::doh::doh::lol::lol:

That article's a horrible mix of bs double-talk and inaccuracies. So let's all panic over it.

worldtribune.com

China radar at South Pole could sabotage U.S. spy satellites

Thursday, February 2, 2006

Beijing announced plans last week to build a high-frequency radar on the South Pole. Analysts say the radar could be used to disrupt U.S. intelligence satellites.

The radar will be built at China’s Zhongshan Station, where Beijing has set up of a space environment lab.

The station will consist of 20 antenna units, including 16 units for the main antenna and four for the auxiliary antenna. Each antenna is 20 meters high. The high-frequency radar can detect ionospheric convection within a range of 3,000 kilometers.

Chinese officials told Xinhua the station would be used to measure the polar space environment.

A Pentagon report on the Chinese military last year said China was “working on, and plans to field, ASAT systems.”

594779[/snapback]

And the libs were worried about Ronald Raygun. :blush:

Bastards... you moved my thread.

Russia had listening posts at the poles during the cold war. I'm sure China is going to set up something similar.

China most likely stole (or was handed) all our research on star wars. Satellites do play a role in our national defense. I wouldn't be surprised if an EMP nuke is detonated to take out low level satellites during an attack.

Or maybe China just wanted a good location for a Direct TV signal. No ozone, no problem. :lol:

Most of 'em pass over China too...so I can see why the Chinese would want to build a laser at one of the most desolate and remote spots on the planet.  :D

:D  :D  :D  :lol:  :lol:

That article's a horrible mix of bs double-talk and inaccuracies.  So let's all panic over it.

594876[/snapback]

The South Pole makes a perfect spy/sabotage platform. It’s not only the quietist listening post on the planet but there is virtually no extraneous light, heat, and electromagnetic radiation noise allowing instruments to search for infrared, microwave and other radiation that cannot be detected elsewhere on Earth. It’s a big security problem if China carries through with this.

The South Pole makes a perfect spy/sabotage platform.  It’s not only the quietist listening post on the planet but there is virtually no extraneous light, heat, and electromagnetic radiation noise allowing instruments to search for infrared, microwave and other radiation that cannot be detected elsewhere on Earth.  It’s a big security problem if China carries through with this.

597789[/snapback]

Uhhhh...yeah. Sure. Except for one thing: you clearly have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

1) "No extraneous heat"? First, there is. Second...who the !@#$ cares? "Extraneous heat"? That must be why the biggest collection of infrared observatories in the world is in Hawaii. :D

2) "No extraneous light...and electromagnetic radiation". Yeah...there's no signals of any kind. In other words...there's nothing to spy on! What are they going to do, watch penguins year-round? :D

2) "No extraneous light...and electromagnetic radiation".  Yeah...there's no signals of any kind.  In other words...there's nothing to spy on!  What are they going to do, watch penguins year-round?  :D

597796[/snapback]

So, "March of the Penguins II" should be arriving in theaters soon?

Uhhhh...yeah.  Sure.  Except for one thing: you clearly have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. 

1) "No extraneous heat"?  First, there is.  Second...who the !@#$ cares?  "Extraneous heat"?  That must be why the biggest collection of infrared observatories in the world is in Hawaii.  :D

2) "No extraneous light...and electromagnetic radiation".  Yeah...there's no signals of any kind.  In other words...there's nothing to spy on!  What are they going to do, watch penguins year-round?  :D

597796[/snapback]

If you were to focus on a point of interest with a pair of binoculars what would give you better resolution or image quality:

1) Laying down in a field of wheat look through the wheat and heat waves at the object many miles away or

2) Standing up on a cold day with no visible heat waves at the same object.

I know the analogy is not perfect but it gets the point across. The South Pole provide a virtually interference free platform for focused targeted surveillance.

I know the analogy is not perfect but it gets the point across.  The South Pole provide a virtually interference free platform for focused targeted surveillance.

597814[/snapback]

On what? Satellites? :D There's easier and cheaper ways of taking pictures of satellites that don't involve shipping a megawatt laser to the most desolate spot in the world a hemisphere away. Go sell this BS somewhere else.

Not to mention the biggest advantage of a south pole platform is all directions point north 360-degree global surveillance.

597830[/snapback]

Plus...if they use sonar, they'll get surveillence results even quicker, since sound travels faster than light in space. :D

Christ, I couldn't be this dumb if I tried. 360-degree coverage...to the horizon, just like every single other point on the earth. What, they've invented surveillance technology that beams through the core of the planet? :D:D

Plus...if they use sonar, they'll get surveillence results even quicker, since sound travels faster than light in space.  :D

Christ, I couldn't be this dumb if I tried.  360-degree coverage...to the horizon, just like every single other point on the earth.  What, they've invented surveillance technology that beams through the core of the planet?  :D  :D

597833[/snapback]

Yes you might be that dumb, line of site is 360 degrees as far up as the equator from the South Pole can’t do this anywhere else except the north pole.

Yes you might be that dumb, line of site is 360 degrees as far up as the equator from the South Pole can’t do this anywhere else except the north pole.

597848[/snapback]

All other things being equal, the range over which you can track a target is going to depend on the elevation of your tracking sensor above the earths surface and the altitude of the target. I see no advantages to either pole over any other point on the globe. I could see advantages to putting the tracking sensor on high mountain peaks.

And no, for a human, line of sight is not to the equator. Do some basic geometry on that one.

597848[/snapback]

How else do you think Santa keeps an eye on you?

All other things being equal, the range over which you can track a target is going to depend on the elevation of your tracking sensor above the earths surface and the altitude of the target.  I see no advantages to either pole over any other point on the globe.  I could see advantages to putting the tracking sensor on high mountain peaks.

And no, for a human, line of sight is not to the equator.  Do some basic geometry on that one.

597856[/snapback]

Assuming that military satellites are in a near polar orbits (which makes sense because of the direction the earth spins) the South Pole will provide southern hemisphere surveillance up to the equator at which point the earth blocks line of site as the satellite curves around the earth. You can blast the military satellite with the laser or whatever when it is directly over the pole. China gearing up for WWIII

Assuming that military satellites are in a near polar orbits (which makes sense because of the direction the earth spins) the South Pole will provide southern hemisphere surveillance up to the equator at which point the earth blocks line of site as the satellite curves around the earth.  You can blast the military satellite with the laser or whatever when it is directly over the pole. China gearing up for WWIII

597872[/snapback]

From what I understand, satellites in polar orbits are at a altitude of 1000 Kilometers. Do the geometry and you'll find that you do not have line of sight from a pole to a point 1000 km above the equator. Even if your sensor was at the same altitude (1000 km) you'd still be looking through quite a bit of earth.