Bills to Play Regular Season Game in Toronto?

JDG

Peter King reports today that Mexico City and Toronto will each bid strongly for an NFL regular season game to be played in their city in 2007. If Toronto wins, what NFL team is going to give up a home game to play in Toronto? Can you say the Bills???

Look for Bills-Jets to be in Toronto in 2007....

JDG

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter King reports today that Mexico City and Toronto will each bid strongly for an NFL regular season game to be played in their city in 2007.    If Toronto wins, what NFL team is going to give up a home game to play in Toronto?  Can you say the Bills???

Look for Bills-Jets to be in Toronto in 2007....

JDG

593839[/snapback]

My geuss is you'd be right. because it's so obvious and the thinkers in this business are few and far between, IMO. But, using a popular team from a nearby US city, is a double-edge sword, IMO.

The pluses for using the Bills are obvious for the most part, and it's a fairly safe move.

But, I'd be inclined to go the other way, here's why:

I assume the game will be a sellout regardless.

If the Bills play, you'll get many of the same Canadian Bills fans you get in Buffalo...you're not exposing more Canadians to the live NFL experience. (And, since you'll get plenty of people from the US going to the game, fewer Canadians will actually be there.)

Many Canadians watch the Bills games already. Those Canadian Bills fans will still watch the Bills game. If you sceheduled another team (Seahawks, Steelers, Pats, Cowboys, Raiders) at a different time then the Bills game you'd up your viewership in Buffalo and Toronto and get the same big audience in the markets of the teams in the game. So, you'll expose more Canadians to the TV game and you'll get more US viewers, too.

My geuss is you'd be right. because it's so obvious and the thinkers in this business are few and far between, IMO.  But, using a popular team from a nearby US city, is a double-edge sword, IMO.

The pluses for using the Bills are obvious for the most part, and it's a fairly safe move.

If the Bills play, you'll get many of the same Canadian Bills fans you get in Buffalo...you're not exposing more Canadians to the live NFL experience.  (And, since you'll get plenty of people from the US going to the game, fewer Canadians will actually be there.)

Many Canadians watch the Bills games already.  Those Canadian Bills fans will still watch the Bills game.  If you sceheduled another team (Seahawks, Steelers, Pats, Cowboys, Raiders) at a different time then the Bills game you'd up your viewership in Buffalo and Toronto and get the same big audience in the markets of the teams in the game.  So, you'll expose more Canadians  to the TV game and you'll get more US viewers, too.

593853[/snapback]

i agree, i don't know many jets fans around here but i know plenty of cowboys fans. bringing a team like dallas would spark more interest.

My geuss is you'd be right. because it's so obvious and the thinkers in this business are few and far between, IMO.  But, using a popular team from a nearby US city, is a double-edge sword, IMO.

If the Bills play, you'll get many of the same Canadian Bills fans you get in Buffalo...you're not exposing more Canadians to the live NFL experience.  (And, since you'll get plenty of people from the US going to the game, fewer Canadians will actually be there.)

Many Canadians watch the Bills games already.  Those Canadian Bills fans will still watch the Bills game.  If you sceheduled another team (Seahawks, Steelers, Pats, Cowboys, Raiders) at a different time then the Bills game you'd up your viewership in Buffalo and Toronto and get the same big audience in the markets of the teams in the game.  So, you'll expose more Canadians  to the TV game and you'll get more US viewers, too.

593853[/snapback]

I don't think you are thinking about this the right way. For the NFL to get a game in Toronto, they will have to get an owner to agree to give up one home game. In particular, giving up one home game will mean:

1) Lost Revenue - fewer tickets, tickets sold in a weak foreign currency, lack of concessions, parking, etc.

2) Competitive Disadvantage from Playing Nine "Travel" Games

The Cardinals played in Mexico City this year because they knew that they would have to pay people to watch Cardinals-49ers in the US, and so the Cards were willing to stomach the competitive disadvantage of a ninth travel game.

Thus, ain't no way the Patriots, Steelers, or Cowboys are going to give up a home game to play in Toronto. The Raiders might be an option, since they can't sell tickets, but its hard to see the Raiders agreeing to an extra Eastern Time Zone game.

So, the matchup would have to be between two lesser teams. Indeed, even though I think that it almost *has* to be the Bills as the home team, the Bills won't bring the Cowboys to Toronto because they can sell out the Cowboys without even trying. In 2007, our home dates are AFC East, Baltimore, Cincy, Dallas, the NY Giants, and an AFC West team to be named later. From that list, it would pretty much have to be either the Jets or Baltimore (if either is really bad next year). For 2008, the choices would be the AFC East, Oakland, San Diego, Seattle, and San Francisco. If the 49ers are still a doormat, they could be a real contender for that slot - again.

JDG

If the Bills are considering giving up a home game, then I hope Mexico City wins.

How about this though, the Bills play away at Arizona in 2008. Bills-Cards in Skydome. Arizona never sells out, they might make more money.

593887[/snapback]

If the game is in Skydome, Arizona and Oakland would make more sense, IMO. The game would sell more than a home game in either place, I'd bet.

Wait...i should maybe check Skydome's football capacity? (Said with yiddish accent.)

If the game is in Skydome, Arizona and Oakland would make more sense, IMO.  The game would sell more than a home game in either place, I'd bet.

Wait...i should maybe check Skydome's football capacity?  (Said with yiddish accent.)

593896[/snapback]

The Bills have historically drawn very well for Raiders games, even though the Raiders can't draw at home.

JDG

The Bills have historically drawn very well for Raiders games, even though the Raiders can't draw at home.

JDG

593901[/snapback]

true

I don't think one premier team in Toronto will sell out W/O having to use the Bills.

If the game is in Skydome, Arizona and Oakland would make more sense, IMO.  The game would sell more than a home game in either place, I'd bet.

Wait...i should maybe check Skydome's football capacity?  (Said with yiddish accent.)

593896[/snapback]

Its only 53,000.... combined with the cheap loonie, its hard for it to be a money-making proposition unless attendance is well into Arizona Cardinals territory.

JDG

Its called the Rogers centre now, not skydome (stupid name change but they dumped more money into the Jays so its OK)

I believe the article from TSN says that they are not going to play a game in Toronto and They will not expand into Canada. They said a few years ago they thought of it but now they changed their minds

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/news_story.asp?id=153466

593853[/snapback]

Interesting, but call it what it is: a chance for Buffalo to test the Toronto fan market so when the NFL goes international, as it has indicated it would like to do, the easiest thing would be to put the Bills in Toronto after Ralph dies.

That's all that would be. A little market test.

for those who care to read here is what COMMISSIONER PAUL TAGLIABUE

said at news conference regarding various issues.

Q. The NFL hosted a very successful regular season game in Mexico this year. You've had preseason games in Toronto in the past, do you see a regular season game coming back to Toronto, and how do you view the Canadian market?

COMMISSIONER TAGLIABUE: We do think the game in Mexico was very successful and we do think it's a springboard for doing additional regular season games outside of the United States, and certainly Canada would be high on any short list. And we've had discussions with individuals in Canada and also discussions with representatives of the Canadian Football League, including the commissioner, to make sure that if we did do that it would be consistent with the goals and the growing aspirations of the Canadian Football League. But right now I think it's going to be difficult to play a regular season game outside of the United States in this upcoming 2006 season, we're still exploring alternatives, but I would think over time we would do it in Canada in the right way, in the right place.

Q. You've talked about a possible expansion to L.A. and I'm wondering if you do go to two teams where does Canada stand on your radar screen?

COMMISSIONER TAGLIABUE: What I said about possible expansion to L.A. is that to me that the only possibility in the foreseeable future for an expansion team would be Los Angeles. I could not see, at least now, a decision that would involve a two team expansion. So if there is expansion I would think it would leave us with an odd number of teams for some period of time, which we have had in the past, most recently when we had Cleveland back in the League, but not Houston. We had 31 teams and that's been a pattern that has been in the NFL in the past. So I don't see expansion in Canada as being related to what we might do in Los Angeles.

news conference

Doesn't the NFL have a minimum attendance rule also?  If that is the case, count out Toronto.  Rogers Centre does not have the minimum capacity. (65,000 I think).  The dome in Vancouver might meet the 65,000 capacity rule.

593968[/snapback]

The Rogers Center seating could be expanded. But in many ways with Olympics coming to Vancouver , Vancouver very well may be a more attractive site in Canada for a game in World marketing terms.

Interesting, but call it what it is: a chance for Buffalo to test the Toronto fan market so when the NFL goes international, as it has indicated it would like to do, the easiest thing would be to put the Bills in Toronto after Ralph dies.

That's all that would be. A little market test.

593953[/snapback]

Perhaps. (Given the discussion in the threads after you posted, this discussion may be moot...but, I can deal with moot.)

I don't think you'd learn much with a test like that, as i expect the game to sell out no matter which teams play (well...from a list of several teams, i guess).

I would not expect the Bills or any team that sells it's games out to play in Toronto. First of all the stadium only holds 50,000. RWS holds 72,000. So you would have to charge 70% more just to break even!

Mexico City was a no-brainer. Two crap teams that don't draw flies at home cash in a big box office in a huge stadium filled to capacity. There is no big payoff playing in Canada.

PTR

If the Bills are considering giving up a home game, then I hope Mexico City wins.

How about this though, the Bills play away at Arizona in 2008. Bills-Cards in Skydome. Arizona never sells out, they might make more money.

593887[/snapback]

But that wouldn't be fair for the Arizona season ticket holders, all 3 of them, to have to travel to see a "home game".