Ranking the reasons behind why...

Like A Mofo

After watching the game on Sunday, I became so down on Bledsoe and starting blaming him for just about everything. But after reading though many posts on this site over the past few days, it has become loud and clear to me: Yes Drew IS to blame for a good portion of the offenses demise, but in NO way shape or form is it ALL Drew's fault. I still would like to see another QB under center with this team just so we know with a little more certainty where the biggest issue is with the offense.

So after thinking about it, maybe we can rank where we all think the biggest problems are with the offense besides Drew, here are the things I came up with:

1. Lack of a TE with catching ability

2. Offensive Line, in particular pass protection

3. Running Backs do not pick up the blitz

4. Coaching (Offensive schemes, etc.)

5. Unsuccessfully replacing Peerless Price

5. Running Backs not having good catching ability

Everyone refers to 2002, especially the 1st half of the year, and look at the reason for the drop-off in 03 being solely because of Peerless Price, but I believe losing Larry Centers and Jay Reismersa hurt just as much if not more. With Reismersa, at least opposing defenses had to respect the Bills TE's receiving abilities, perhaps opening things up for the WR’s and the RB’s. With this new group, what defense will care that much about the Bills TE's??? And remember, Drew enjoyed his most success with a TE like Ben Coates. Centers was also a nice safety net for Drew, and is receiving ability out of the backfield has not been replaced.

To make a long story short, I don’t believe Drew will hit the 2002 first half totals can happen again, that was in part to his rejuvenation, and the fact they played against some horrid defenses during that 8 game stretch. But it CAN be better then 2003 and now. So Im gonna lay off of Drew and statue comments for awhile.

So how would you rank the offenses biggest problems besides Drew Bledsoe himself? Feel free to add more rankings or change my wording...

After watching the game on Sunday, I became so down on Bledsoe and starting blaming him for just about everything.  But after reading though many posts on this site over the past few days, it has become loud and clear to me:  Yes Drew IS to blame for a good portion of the offenses demise, but in NO way shape or form is it ALL Drew's fault.  I still would like to see another QB under center with this team just so we know with a little more certainty where the biggest issue is with the offense.

So after thinking about it, maybe we can rank where we all think the biggest problems are with the offense besides Drew, here are the things I came up with:

1. Lack of a TE with catching ability

2. Offensive Line, in particular pass protection

3. Running Backs do not pick up the blitz

4. Coaching (Offensive schemes, etc.)

5. Unsuccessfully replacing Peerless Price

5. Running Backs not having good catching ability

Everyone refers to 2002, especially the 1st half of the year, and look at the reason for the drop-off in 03 being solely because of Peerless Price, but I believe losing Larry Centers and Jay Reismersa hurt just as much if not more.  With Reismersa, at least opposing defenses had to respect the Bills TE's receiving abilities, perhaps opening things up for the WR’s and the RB’s. With this new group, what defense will care that much about the Bills TE's???  And remember, Drew enjoyed his most success with a TE like Ben Coates.  Centers was also a nice safety net for Drew, and is receiving ability out of the backfield has not been replaced.

To make a long story short, I don’t believe Drew will hit the 2002 first half totals can happen again, that was in part to his rejuvenation, and the fact they played against some horrid defenses during that 8 game stretch.  But it CAN be better then 2003 and now.  So Im gonna lay off of Drew and statue comments for awhile.

So how would you rank the offenses biggest problems besides Drew Bledsoe himself?  Feel free to add more rankings or change my wording...

43241[/snapback]

Do you mean the same Peerless Price that through 18 games with Altlanta has 72 receptions, 918 yards and 3 TD's? I think he had 1 good season in Buffalo, and that is about all you should expect from him. I would wager with Lee Evans speed and work ethic, he will eclipse Price in a year or two.

As far as the schemes go, I would agree that they have not been designed to take advantage of the fact that everyone in the free world tries to blitz Bledsoe. where are the quick slants? where are the screens?

Interesting exercise, here's mine (modified).....

1. QB lack of confidence to make crucial throws in a timely fashion

2. Running Backs do not pick up the blitz

3. QB inability to audiblize(sp?) to protect from or take advantage of blitz mismatches (also attributed to improper coaching IMO)

4. Offensive Line, in particular pass protection

5. Coaching (Offensive schemes)

6. Lack of a TE with catching (and blocking!) ability

To comment on a few others that I didn't rank...

#. Unsuccessfully replacing Peerless Price - jury still out until a sound attempt to properly utilize Evans is made

#. Running Backs not having good catching ability - I don't think this is necessesarily a problem