Women sue Wal-Mart to require them to carry the

Here's a novel idea: don't want to get pregnant? Don't have sex!

I mean, really, what are people? Chimps? Are people incapable of controlling their own sexuality? And how about being on the pill, eh? Brith conrtol pills have been around for nigh on forever, why can't a woman just take those if she KNOWS she's going to be humping like a rabbit?

601647[/snapback]

It's all her fault

Somewhere in America, a woman is raped every 2 minutes, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.

[...]

One of the most startling aspects of sex crimes is how many go unreported. The most common reasons given by women for not reporting these crimes are the belief that it is a private or personal matter and the fear of reprisal from the assailant.

Approximately 28% of victims are raped by husbands or boyfriends, 35% by acquaintances, and 5% by other relatives. (Violence against Women, Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. Dept. of Justice, 1994)

The FBI estimates that only 37% of all rapes are reported to the police. U.S. Justice Department statistics are even lower, with only 26% of all rapes or attempted rapes being reported to law enforcement officials.

There has to be a place for these women to get emergency contraceptives.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all her fault

There has to be a place for these women to get emergency contraceptives.

601652[/snapback]

Some interesting statistics...BUT... how can they know that only 26% of rapes are reported?

And also, what percentage of pregnancies are caused by rape? Shouldn't that statistic be gremane to the conversation? And AFAIK, all but the MOST loony of anti-abortion people have no qualms about a woman who's raped getting an abortion.

What most people have a problem with (myself included) is the absolute skank who sleeps with whomever she wants and just aborts as needed, chemically or otherwise.

Some interesting statistics...BUT... how can they know that only 26% of rapes are reported?

601669[/snapback]

Rape crisis centers, women's safe houses, counseling centers, women that report to hospitals that refuse to press charges.

And also, what percentage of pregnancies are caused by rape? Shouldn't that statistic be gremane to the conversation? And AFAIK, all but the MOST loony of anti-abortion people have no qualms about a woman who's raped getting  an abortion.

601669[/snapback]

So, what would be an acceptable number of rape-induced pregnancies be for you in order to consider that emergency contraceptives are necessary? 1 in 10? 1 in 1000?

For the umpteenth time, emergency contraceptives prevent pregnancies, and do not end a pregnancy.

What most people have a problem with (myself included) is the absolute skank who sleeps with whomever she wants and just aborts as needed, chemically or otherwise.

601669[/snapback]

Yes, let's use the "skank" defense to form an argument for not making emergency contraceptives available for the thousands of women who are assaulted each year..

So, what would be an acceptable number of rape-induced pregnancies be for you in order to consider that emergency contraceptives are necessary?  1 in 10?  1 in 1000? 

I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH RAPE VICTIMS HAVING ABORTIONS.

Can I say it any clearer for you? Jeesus, read my god-damned post again before you get in a twist, man.

For the umpteenth time, emergency contraceptives prevent pregnancies, and do not end a pregnancy.

:D Pregnancy begins at conception, which occurs WHEN? When a sperm fertilizes an egg. So therefore, "emergency contraception" DOES end a pregnancy in the strictest sense of the word. Clever euphamisms aside, the "emergency contraceptives" work by causing a fertilized egg to be unable to adhere to the uteral wall. Sounds like an abortion to me.

Yes, let's use the "skank" defense to form an argument for not making emergency contraceptives available for the thousands of women who are assaulted each year..

See above. I have no issue with rape victims having abortions. What I do have an issue with is insurance companies and the federal government subsidizing behavior by the 90% of women who are responsible for unwanted pregnancies through poor planning, lack of responsibility and just general stupidity. You can try and make it sound that i don't approve of abortion for rape victims, but it's not the truth.

I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH RAPE VICTIMS HAVING ABORTIONS.

Can I say it any clearer for you? Jeesus, read my god-damned post again before you get in a twist, man.

And also, what percentage of pregnancies are caused by rape? Shouldn't that statistic be gremane to the conversation?

601709[/snapback]

601709[/snapback]

You brought up statistical relevance in a previous post. My response was trying to determine why it should even matter.

:D  Pregnancy begins at conception, which occurs WHEN? When a sperm fertilizes an egg. So therefore, "emergency contraception" DOES end a pregnancy in the strictest sense of the word. Clever euphamisms aside, the "emergency contraceptives" work by causing a fertilized egg to be unable to adhere to the uteral wall. Sounds like an abortion to me.

601709[/snapback]

The strict definition is up to debate. The medical definition defines it as the period after the fertilized ovum is implanted in the uterus. By your definition, a petri dish would be considered "pregnant" with an in vitro fertilized egg.

See above. I have no issue with rape victims having abortions. What I do have an issue with is insurance companies and the federal government subsidizing behavior by the 90% of women who are responsible for unwanted pregnancies through poor planning, lack of responsibility and just general stupidity. You can try and make it sound that i don't approve of abortion for rape victims, but it's not the truth.

601709[/snapback]

There should be no bias what-so-ever in prescribing medication. That, apparently, is where we disagree most. I'd say, based on the staggering statistics on sexual assault released by the Department of Justice in the link I provided, that your "skank example" would turn out to be the case far less of the time than a woman who needs the emergency contraceptive for prevention of a pregnancy due to a crime. Of couse, I have no "skank" statistics to back that up.

601709[/snapback]

You brought up statistical relevance in a previous post.  My response was trying to determine why it should even matter.

The strict definition is up to debate.  The medical definition defines it as the period after the fertilized ovum is implanted in the uterus. By your definition, a petri dish would be considered "pregnant" with an in vitro fertilized egg.

There should be no bias what-so-ever in prescribing medication.  That, apparently, is where we disagree most.  I'd say, based on the staggering statistics on sexual assault released by the Department of Justice in the link I provided, that your "skank example" would turn out to be the case far less of the time than a woman who needs the emergency contraceptive for prevention of a pregnancy due to a crime.  Of couse, I have no "skank" statistics to back that up.

601743[/snapback]

Awwww, c'mon, they are all whores using abortion as a form of birth control.

If you repeat a talking point often enough, doesn't it become the truth?

There should be no bias what-so-ever in prescribing medication.  That, apparently, is where we disagree most.  I'd say, based on the staggering statistics on sexual assault released by the Department of Justice in the link I provided, that your "skank example" would turn out to be the case far less of the time than a woman who needs the emergency contraceptive for prevention of a pregnancy due to a crime.  Of couse, I have no "skank" statistics to back that up.

601743[/snapback]

So you're saying that rape pregnancies compose a far larger piece of the overall pregnancy pie than legit albeit irresponsible casual sex pregnancies? Sorry, I'm not buying it.

So you're saying that rape pregnancies compose a far larger piece of the overall pregnancy pie than legit albeit irresponsible casual sex pregnancies? Sorry, I'm not buying it.

601758[/snapback]

What? I'm not saying that at all.

THE EMERGENCY CONTRACEPTIVE IS NEEDED TO PREVENT THE POSSIBILITY OF A PREGNANCY RESULTING FROM SEXUAL ASSAULT.

Whether-or-not they get pregnant should not even be relevant. And yes, I'm saying the need for emergency contaceptives is there because of the staggering statistical evidence supporting the magnitude of incidents of sexual assault.

Jesus. Are you saying we should wait and see if they ever become pregnant?

What?  I'm not saying that at all.

THE EMERGENCY CONTRACEPTIVE IS NEEDED TO PREVENT THE POSSIBILITY OF A PREGNANCY RESULTING FROM SEXUAL ASSAULT.

Whether-or-not they get pregnant should not even be relevant.  And yes, I'm saying the need for emergency contaceptives is there because of the staggering statistical evidence supporting the magnitude of incidents of sexual assault.

Jesus.  Are you saying we should wait and see if they ever become pregnant?

601774[/snapback]

This discussion is getting surreal... :D

Obviously your definition of impregnation differs from mine, but apparently you're having a hard time understanding that when it comes to RAPE VICTIMS, I am in agreement with you. They should be given the drugs, bombarded with X_Rays, vacuumed and be allowed to jump on a trampoline afterwards...whatever the !@#$ they want. That is not the issue here...having the drug available to ANYONE is.

The misuse of said drug is what I'm concerned about. Allowing, say, teenage girls to go out and screw the varsity football squad with the notion of "Gee, I can just go down to Wal-Mart and buy a chemical abortion whenever I want" IS what I am cocnerned about.

Your concern for rape victims is admirable. Your attempt to use them as a rhetorical tool is not. Rape does not equal irresponsible conesnsual sex, even IF they both can lead to unwanted pregnancy.

Whether-or-not they get pregnant should not even be relevant.  And yes, I'm saying the need for emergency contaceptives is there because of the staggering statistical evidence supporting the magnitude of incidents of sexual assault.

Jesus.  Are you saying we should wait and see if they ever become pregnant?

Read above, Johnny. Read it slowly and attempt to comprehend. Then respond. Thanks.

The misuse of said drug is what I'm concerned about. Allowing, say, teenage girls to go out and screw the varsity football squad with the notion of "Gee, I can just go down to Wal-Mart and buy a chemical abortion whenever I want" IS what I am cocnerned about.

601787[/snapback]

Are we talking about chemical abortions, or contraception? Because I was under the impression that Coli was talking about contraception.

In general, it aids in discussion when the people having said discussion are talking about the same damned thing. Y'all might want to verify that...

Are we talking about chemical abortions, or contraception?  Because I was under the impression that Coli was talking about contraception. 

In general, it aids in discussion when the people having said discussion are talking about the same damned thing.  Y'all might want to verify that...

601792[/snapback]

Johnny wasn't talking about the birth control pill or condoms or IUDs or sponges or any other form of "contraception." He was discussing the morning-after pill, couching it in some cute "emergency contraception" euphamism.

Johnny wasn't talking about the birth control pill or condoms or IUDs or sponges or any other form of "contraception." He was discussing the morning-after pill, couching it in some cute "emergency contraception" euphamism.

601793[/snapback]

Did you read my earlier post? The "emergency contraception" pill interferes with ovulation, fertilization, and/or implantation of the ovum in the uterine wall. All actions that take place before pregnancy is established...i.e., contraception. Chemical abortion interferes with an already-established pregnancy...i.e. it is NOT contraception. Two different things.

Did you read my earlier post?  The "emergency contraception" pill interferes with ovulation, fertilization, and/or implantation of the ovum in the uterine wall.  All actions that take place before pregnancy is established...i.e., contraception.  Chemical abortion interferes with an already-established pregnancy...i.e. it is NOT contraception.  Two different things.

601812[/snapback]

The first two would make it a contraceptive, IMO. The third makes it an abortive substance.

I have no problem with the first two things. Those are already covered under any number of birth-control options. It's the third that's a moral issue.

601787[/snapback]

Why prescribe/supply/dispense any drug that has the possibility of being abused/misused? People abuse every drug under the sun, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be available for those that need it. It is not Walmart's decision to make.

Why prescribe/supply/dispense any drug that has the possibility of being abused/misused?  People abuse every drug under the sun, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be available for those that need it.  It is not Walmart's decision to make.

601841[/snapback]

That's a good point! I wonder if I could walk into wal-mart and try and get a medicinal marijuana prescription filled...

I'm for you getting your hands on any drug that would help you to pull your head out of your ass.  :lol:

601847[/snapback]

God-damned administrators and their abusive restriction on the FU smilie!

*angry fist*

I'll get you Johnny Coli...and your little dog too!

:D

Why prescribe/supply/dispense any drug that has the possibility of being abused/misused?  People abuse every drug under the sun, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be available for those that need it.  It is not Walmart's decision to make.

601841[/snapback]

I have not read the entire thread, but agree with this one. My wife did have to use this pill as our contraception method (condom) failed on one occasion and she was ripe for a conception on that day. Availability of a prescription drug should not be a demand-based stocking idea. For all the great supply chain solutions that Walmart has perfected, they need to apply those principles to consumer goods only such as shampoos and toothpaste.

Here's a novel idea: don't want to get pregnant? Don't have sex!

I mean, really, what are people? Chimps? Are people incapable of controlling their own sexuality? And how about being on the pill, eh? Brith conrtol pills have been around for nigh on forever, why can't a woman just take those if she KNOWS she's going to be humping like a rabbit?

601647[/snapback]

Man you need to get laid.