Why didn't you guys tell me?

ajzepp

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's cool....I like mine ALMOST that hot, but what I find down here is that they don't understand that HOT needs to accompany FLAVOR. They forget the flavor part and it ends up just being chicken that can light your ass on fire. It's pretty damn nasty.

592542[/snapback]

Many people can't taste the food if it's really hot...i can. So i agree with you. It MUST taste good, not just be hot. But, with that said, it should taste good and still give me hiccups, and disorient me to some degree.

BTW, i can't taste through too much salt. If something's oversalted, that's all I taste.

Many people can't taste the food if it's really hot...i can.  So i agree with you.  It MUST taste good, not just be hot.  But, with that said, it should taste good and still give me hiccups, and disorient me to some degree.

BTW, i can't taste through too much salt.  If something's oversalted, that's all I taste.

592551[/snapback]

LOL, okay well maybe I don't like my wings as close to what you like as I thought, lol.....I like 'em hot enough to where your lips are still feelign good and messed up a few hours after you finish the last wing.

I love the Anchor Bar. You can find better wings at different places, but there's just something about that place that I love.

Since I've got nothing better to do I'll post a story about my last trip to the Anchor Bar. I might have posted it, but what the hell. I was taking my wife on her first trip to Buffalo during opening weekend. We flew up from Virginia and spent a nice weekend. On our way back from Niagara Falls I decided it'd be the time to take her to the Anchor Bar and get some wings. So we were sitting in there about to finish up our meal when she saw an Asian couple come in and sit down. She told me "That guy kind of looks like someone I know and they're speaking Thai." So I told her "Go over and say hi. What the hell." So she went over there and found out it was the guy she thought it was. It was a guy that she went to High School with in Bangkok and hadn't seen him for like 10 years. Turns out the guy lived in Ontario for the past 5 years and this was his very first trip into the U.S. I couldn't believe the coincidence.

I'll agree with almost everything here except the vinegar. I worked in a few wing joints and bars in high school and college that had pretty darn good wings and none of them had vinegar in the hot sauce recipe. From what I can tell Duff's does use vinegar in their sauce, so if you enjoy their wings then use the vinegar. It is not a universal ingredient though.

Franks

Butter or margarine to desired heat level (add some dave's insanity for suicidal)

celery salt

Worchestire sauce

garlic powder.

I'll agree with almost everything here except the vinegar.  I worked in a few wing joints and bars in high school and college that had pretty darn good wings and none of them had vinegar in the hot sauce recipe.  From what I can tell Duff's does use vinegar in their sauce, so if you enjoy their wings then use the vinegar.  It is not a universal ingredient though.

Franks

Butter or margarine to desired heat level  (add some dave's insanity for suicidal)

celery salt

Worchestire sauce

garlic powder.

592633[/snapback]

I wouldn't care for the garlic salt, but celery seed has a snappy tang IMO. Never thought about it, but I'll give it a try. Thanks!

I love the Anchor Bar.  You can find better wings at different places, but there's just something about that place that I love.

Since I've got nothing better to do I'll post a story about my last trip to the Anchor Bar.  I might have posted it, but what the hell.  I was taking my wife on her first trip to Buffalo during opening weekend.  We flew up from Virginia and spent a nice weekend.  On our way back from Niagara Falls I decided it'd be the time to take her to the Anchor Bar and get some wings.  So we were sitting in there about to finish up our meal when she saw an Asian couple come in and sit down.  She told me "That guy kind of looks like someone I know and they're speaking Thai."  So I told her "Go over and say hi.  What the hell."  So she went over there and found out it was the guy she thought it was.  It was a guy that she went to High School with in Bangkok and hadn't seen him for like 10 years.  Turns out the guy lived in Ontario for the past 5 years and this was his very first trip into the U.S.  I couldn't believe the coincidence.

592581[/snapback]

Try a flavored vinegar. Japanese rice wine vinegar has a nice sweet finish.

PTR

Give me the original. Butter or margarine, Frank's Hot sauce i'm stocking up tonight-the supermarket has it for $1.50/bottle this week) and THATS IT. Deep fry the wings and pat dry.

NO OTHER INGREDIENTS OR BAKING.

At the Raiders tailgate this year, our group had a propane powered fryer and they tasted just like back home.

The best wings I have had in a restaurant outside of WNY was in Charleston, SC. Saw a place that specialized in wings. I asked the hostess if they baked or fried. She said fry and I tried them. The wings here in the SF area are garbage.

Give me the original. Butter or margarine, Frank's Hot sauce i'm stocking up tonight-the supermarket has it for $1.50/bottle this week) and THATS IT. Deep fry the wings and pat dry.

NO OTHER INGREDIENTS OR BAKING.

At the Raiders tailgate this year, our group had a propane powered fryer and they tasted just like back home.

The best wings I have had in a restaurant outside of WNY was in Charleston, SC.  Saw a place that specialized in wings. I asked the hostess if they baked or fried. She said fry and I tried them.  The wings here in the SF area are garbage.

592694[/snapback]

You got that right Wacka. i make em myself...or, sometimes, bring the sauce to a place and tell them to use mine on the wings.

The wings here in the SF area are garbage.

592694[/snapback]

It's ridiculous isn't it? Why is it so fuggin hard for these places to make some good Buffalo wings?? We have chickens coming our our assses down here, yet I go to place after place trying to find something good. I feel for ya.

It's ridiculous isn't it? Why is it so fuggin hard for these places to make some good Buffalo wings?? We have chickens coming our our assses down here, yet I go to place after place trying to find something good. I feel for ya.

592706[/snapback]

They just don't feel it. They just don't make the commitment. i ask, "do you use Frank's?" They answer, "yes...well, one just like it", and I find out it's Crystal, or some such thing.

Often, they get too fancyand/or put in spices that don't belong and/or fear heat and, usually, drizzle the sauce on the wings instead of coating them.

Since they don't really know what REAL wings taste like, they don't know the difference between good wings and the dreck they serve.

Of course, some just reach for OK. ("They're OK...the customers here seem to like them fine.") They haven't realized that "good" is the enemy. "Good" is what prevents "great" from happening.

OK...while I'm on a rant...Why do places that specialize in burgers and such, insist on using crappy frozen fries? Isn't it just as cheap to use REAL FRESH potatoes? It certailny isn't hard to do. A little hand machine can turn a potato into fries with one movement. That crap just pisses me off.

They just don't feel it.  They just don't make the commitment.  i ask, "do you use Frank's?"  They answer, "yes...well, one just like it", and I find out it's Crystal, or some such thing.

Often, they get too fancyand/or put in spices that don't belong and/or fear heat and, usually, drizzle the sauce on the wings instead of coating them.

Since they don't really know what REAL wings taste like, they don't know the difference between good wings and the dreck they serve.

Of course, some just reach for OK.  ("They're OK...the customers here seem to like them fine.")  They haven't realized that "good" is the enemy.  "Good" is what prevents "great" from happening.

OK...while I'm on a rant...Why do places that specialize in burgers and such, insist on using crappy frozen fries?  Isn't it just as cheap to use REAL FRESH potatoes?  It certailny isn't hard to do.  A little hand machine can turn a potato into fries with one movement.  That crap just pisses me off.

592724[/snapback]

I completely agree with you about the fries.....I have pretty much sworn them off. I will admit that it's not hard to find some damn tasty mashed potatoes down here though.....

...and yet you still wonder why the food tastes like ass?

592720[/snapback]

lol....good point :huh: Seriously, I thought there were a lot of chickens in Arkansas.....this has GOT to be the chicken capital. They are friggin EVERYWHERE. How many places can you actually go and see chicken road kill on a weekly basis? We also have this really stuck up, foofy turkey thingy that hangs out in our neighborhood. He struts around the edge of the woods like his sh-- don't stink. Birds are just weird down here, man.

You got that right Wacka.  i make em myself...or, sometimes, bring the sauce to a place and tell them to use mine on the wings.

592705[/snapback]

I've also had people to whom I described how to make them say "But that's not healthy." I reply "No, but it's damn good." Fuggin' nuts out here.

At a place I used to work at, we had a pot luck lunch around Halloween every year. I made 80 wings and coat them right there. All of them always went.

I've also had people to whom  I described how to make them say "But that's not healthy." I reply "No, but it's damn good."  Fuggin' nuts out here.

At a place I used to work at, we had a pot luck lunch around Halloween every year.  I made 80 wings and coat them right there. All of them always went.

592934[/snapback]

In moderation, they are not unhealthy. And you ain't getting them in more than moderation out here.