Turner Gill gets it!

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060202/2022954.asp

Turner Gill is already making a difference. Despite having a small recruiting class, it's being considered a success by Rivals.com. Gill signed Naaman Roosevelt, the best HS QB in WNY, and for the first time UB bagged two 3-star rated prospects, including 6-6 3-5lb OL Brian Kelly, nephew of Jim Kelly!

What strikes me is what Gill is doing first in rebuilding UB football...he is recruiting a massive O-line! Sounds like a good plan to me. Another Buffalo football team would do well to pay attention.

PTR

Guest BackInDaDay
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060202/2022954.asp

Turner Gill is already making a difference.  Despite having a small recruiting class, it's being considered a success by Rivals.com.  Gill signed Naaman Roosevelt, the best HS QB in WNY, and for the first time UB bagged two 3-star rated prospects, including 6-6 3-5lb OL Brian Kelly, nephew of Jim Kelly! 

What strikes me is what Gill is doing first in rebuilding UB football...he is recruiting a massive O-line!  Sounds like a good plan to me.  Another Buffalo football team would do well to pay attention.

PTR

592139[/snapback]

UB=Nebraska(east) :D

It's nice to see that his hiring has had some immediate positive effects. I think this team will win three to four games next year, and then consistently be a seven to nine win team (this based on the fact that each year, there are at least three to five winable games in the MAC). Of course, such success will mean that Turner Gil will be leaving us for greener pastures, but at least he will have turned the program around.

How's that for an optimistic view on the future of one of the NCAA's worst football programs! :huh:

I've never understood why UB shouldn't (and couldn't) be a legitimate and perennial "player" in D1 athletics. They're the largest public university in the state, for crying out loud. I really hope Gill can turn things around for football -- it seems as though the schoool is on its' way in basketball.

They have a crappy logo, though.

It's all about recruiting. The school itself, and its facilities, are top notch. I think if a track record of at least five years of decent performances can be strung together, the Big East could be considered. However, until this team can string more than one win a year together, that will be a pipe dream.

If UB gets a good football team, wouldn't they be a natural for the Big East?

592468[/snapback]

Syracuse and Buffalo fans alike are looking forward to the day we can be rivalry's. For now thought its not even close as they are much better than us.

I hope it happens one day though.

I've never understood why UB shouldn't (and couldn't) be a legitimate and perennial "player" in D1 athletics.  They're the largest public university in the state, for crying out loud.  I really hope Gill can turn things around for football -- it seems as though the schoool is on its' way in basketball.

They have a crappy logo, though.

592512[/snapback]

I thought SUNY schools had limited athletic scholorships available. If that's not (or no longer) true, they should be able to compete with most schools in the North east...(MOST...ok?).

It's far easier to build a basketball program than it is a football program for assorted reasons (most obvious).

It's all about recruiting.  The school itself, and its facilities, are top notch.  I think if a track record of at least five years of decent performances can be strung together, the Big East could be considered.  However, until this team can string more than one win a year together, that will be a pipe dream.

592543[/snapback]

Actually, from what I hear, while the athletic facilities are fairly new, they don't compare to the big jock schools. Also, the size of the coaching staffs and athletic departments are tiny in comparison. It all cyclical: big football school generates big $$$ which pays for big football program.

UB Athletics was hamstrung by the SUNY bureaucracy, a bunch of eggheads that didn't like or understand what winning sports programs can do for schools. Fortunately, the new UB president gets it. Hiring Ward Manuel was the first step to respectibilty.

Reggie Witherspoon's success in basketball is showing SUNY how good athletics raises the school's profile nationally, and raises revenue when the arena is filled with fans. Also, don't underestimate the effect on recruiting being the only D-1 school with a black football coach, basketball coach, and athletic director.

I agree that Turner Gill will turn UB Football into a winner. They can definitely win 3-4 games, if not more next year. By year 3, they will be a MAC contender. And I love that he is starting with the O-line! That was 90% of UB's problem (and the Bills) all along! We need to keep an eye on how Jim Kelly's nephew develops in 3-4 years!

I'm certain Buffalo sports fans will embrace UB football once they get things right. Expect to see 30,000 fans at UB stadium for games. I certainly plan to go to a few games.

PTR

Actually, from what I hear, while the athletic facilities are fairly new, they don't compare to the big jock schools.  Also, the size of the coaching staffs and athletic departments are tiny in comparison.  It all cyclical: big football school generates big $$$ which pays for big football program.

UB Athletics was hamstrung by the SUNY bureaucracy, a bunch of eggheads that didn't like or understand what winning sports programs can do for schools.  Fortunately, the new UB president gets it.  Hiring Ward Manuel was the first step to respectibilty. 

Reggie Witherspoon's success in basketball is showing SUNY how good athletics raises the school's profile nationally, and raises revenue when the arena is filled with fans.  Also, don't underestimate the effect on recruiting being the only D-1 school with a black football coach, basketball coach, and athletic director. 

I agree that Turner Gill will turn UB Football into a winner.  They can definitely win 3-4 games, if not more next year.  By year 3, they will be a MAC contender.  And I love that he is starting with the O-line!  That was 90% of UB's problem (and the Bills) all along!  We need to keep an eye on how Jim Kelly's nephew develops in 3-4 years!

I'm certain Buffalo sports fans will embrace UB football once they get things right.  Expect to see 30,000 fans at UB stadium for games.  I certainly plan to go to a few games.

PTR

592636[/snapback]

Excellent post...I agree with you completely.

I've been a UB season ticket holder for the past 6 years. I hope you guys are right. I bought them, originally, because I thought they would be good in a few years-thought it might be cool to get in on the ground floor. I kept them because it's actually cheaper to see a UB Football game than it is to go to a movie.

The Bills of the last five years look good compared to UB. It's really tough to be a fan of that team.

If Gill can get them to .500, sometime in the next few years, he's a great coach. I'm cautiously optimistic that he can do it.

Hopefully, Gill will stop Bulls fans from asking the question I hear the most on Saturdays in the Fall, "What U B doing?" :lol:

I've been a UB season ticket holder for the past 6 years. I hope you guys are right. I bought them, originally, because I thought they would be good in a few years-thought it might be cool to get in on the ground floor. I kept them because it's actually cheaper to see a UB Football game than it is to go to a movie.

The Bills of the last five years look good compared to UB. It's really tough to be a fan of that team.

If Gill can get them to .500, sometime in the next few years, he's a great coach. I'm cautiously optimistic that he can do it.

Hopefully, Gill will stop Bulls fans from asking the question I hear the most on Saturdays in the Fall, "What U B doing?"  :lol:

593021[/snapback]

I feel like .500 is a possibilty this year, although I'd settle for 3 wins. There are enough poor MAC teams that we could beat with only a slight improvement. Hang on to those tickets.

PTR

I'm probably one of the few (along with some of you guys) that attend a game or two at UB every year. I like supporting the only Division 1A football in town and it's pretty cool to see guys like Leftwich, Roethlisberger and numerous other future NFL players come through to play UB. I love the Turner Gill hiring. Even though he had two or three weeks to sign this class of recruits he and his staff did a great job. I'm sure his future recruits will be even better.

Just to touch on a few observations....the football facilities at UB are OK but certainly not in the upper echelon of the MAC yet. The new field turf is nice but the track around the field and the end zone bleachers (which are like 3 miles from the field) need to be upgraded. The rumor is that they will remove the track at some point and make it a more football friendly place. The lockeroom and training rooms are soon to be upgraded and a new indoor fieldhouse is on the planned projects list. All these will make it a more attractive place for recruits to see and players to use. What has really hampered UB...in addition to being one of the toughest schools academically (not conducive to a winning football program)...is that they never get any TV games. It's a vicious circle of course because how are they going to get TV games if they don't win?..but on the other hand the very good players gravitate toward programs that get the TV games. Teams like Toledo, Miami, Northern Illinois, Ohio, Bowling Green and Akron adjust their schedules to get as many ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU games as possible. Believe me, that is VERY attractive for potential recruits to see and you can see what it does for their recruiting since those teams just reload every year. We can only hope that Turner Gill with his high profile background can give UB some instant credibility in terms of wins and TV attractiveness.

Hopefully when the program turns the corner....more locals will turn out and go to the games. No reason a D-1A football team in Buffalo should not get at least 20,000 per game. By the way, check out their three out-of-conference games this year.... tough, tough, tough! All three of those teams coming off bowl games.

at West Virginia

at Rutgers

at Boston College

It's all about recruiting.  The school itself, and its facilities, are top notch.  I think if a track record of at least five years of decent performances can be strung together, the Big East could be considered.  However, until this team can string more than one win a year together, that will be a pipe dream.

592543[/snapback]

AH....the the facilities are not top notch. That is the issue. Ward Manuel the AD at UB is working with Simpson to get more money to upgrade the weight room and practice facilities. One of the items on the list....a bubble for practicing. Used to be one at UB.

I doubt Gill will move on so fast to greener pasture, as I believe that should UB become a contender in the MAC, they will upgrade conference before they let him go.

What has really hampered UB...in addition to being one of the toughest schools academically (not conducive to a winning football program)...is that they never get any TV games.

593155[/snapback]

UB is a VERY tough school for the non-academically gifted. Another factor working against athletics is the lack of a true "gut" major like the major power schools offer.

In my earlier post, I was remiss not crediting Bill Griener for his efforts. Without him, UB would still be a D-III school.

If UB was smart, they would lock up not only Reggie Witherspoon and Gill, but AD Ward Manuel as well.

PTR