Cousineau hired by the Browns

OnTheRocks

here is an interesting tidbit. I didn't know the Browns were looking to hire someone to run the "i'm a big kitty dept."

still just a little bitter......sorry.

-- Browns Hire Cousineau --

Thu Sep 23, 2004

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports the Browns have hired former Browns LB Tom Cousineau on a part time basis.

Cousineau ended up being great for us. We traded him for the pick that we used to draft Jim Kelly.

Also, we used the pick that we got from SF when we traded O.J. Simpson to pick Cousineau.

In a way, trading Simpson got us Kelly.

Guest BackInDaDay
Cousineau ended up being great for us. We traded him for the pick that we used to draft Jim Kelly.

Also, we used the pick that we got from SF when we traded O.J. Simpson to pick Cousineau.

43113[/snapback]

So Peter, your a 'turn that frown upside down' kinda guy, eh? :rolleyes:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but not only did he refuse to play for us, and cost us a top pick, he killed someone while driving drunk.  :rolleyes:

43102[/snapback]

I hunted around the 'net to see if the Bills got a supplemental/compensatory pick or whatever, but I found nothing. I guess that's because he signed with a CFL club.

I hunted around the 'net to see if the Bills got a supplemental/compensatory pick or whatever, but I found nothing. I guess that's because he signed with a CFL club.

43153[/snapback]

He signed with a CFL club, but the Bills held his NFL rights for three years after they drafted him. When he decided that he wanted to come to the NFL, but not play for the Bills, the Bills traded his rights to the Browns, for a first round pick, that ended up being Jim Kelly....

43113[/snapback]

But Kelly was drafted in 1983, the so-called "Quarterback Class of '83" - 4 years after the draft of Cousineau...I'm missing something here....

But Kelly was drafted in 1983, the so-called "Quarterback Class of '83" -  4 years after the draft of Cousineau...I'm missing something here....

43226[/snapback]

Cousineau did not sign with us when we drafted him. The big jerk went to play for the Montreal Alouetes. We ended up trading our rights to him to the Browns (after his contract ran out or the Aloutes went bankrupt. I forget which.)

Guest BackInDaDay
But Kelly was drafted in 1983, the so-called "Quarterback Class of '83" -  4 years after the draft of Cousineau...I'm missing something here....

43226[/snapback]

Ironically, Kelly didn't want to play for us either. Choosing the WFL instead.

OK, but I'd be surprised if that translated into a 1st round pick 4 years hence.

43237[/snapback]

It did. We picked Kelly in the first round the same year that we picked Tony Hunter. We picked Hunter with the 12th pick and Kelly with the 14th.

Correct me if I am wrong... During the 70's wasn't Ralph's "hands on" and "money image" a drawback to players signing with the Bills?

He might have been a jerk for snubbing us but, didn't Kelly first refuse to play for the Bills?

What ever Ralph did when he got Marv, he struck gold! It was the PR change of his lifetime!

Amazing but, in 35 years we haven't been able to really duplicate that with a coach except for Saben... And even that was a fiasco at times.

Cousineau did not sign with us when we drafted him.  The big jerk went to play for the Montreal Alouetes.  We ended up trading our rights to him to the Browns (after his contract ran out or the Aloutes went bankrupt.  I forget which.)

43231[/snapback]

You are right. It took me a while to hunt it down, but Cousineau signing by the Browns did end up in the Bills being in the position to draft Kelly.

I sit corrected. :rolleyes:

Correct me if I am wrong... During the 70's wasn't Ralph's "hands on" and "money image" a drawback to players signing with the Bills?

He might have been a jerk for snubbing us but, didn't Kelly first refuse to play for the Bills?

What ever Ralph did when he got Marv, he struck gold!  It was the PR change of his lifetime!

Amazing but, in 35 years we haven't been able to really duplicate that with a coach except for Saben... And even that was a fiasco at times.

43265[/snapback]

I don't know if this can be proven, but from what I was always taught by my elder football teachers (Dad and Uncle), Jim Kelly chose to play in the USFL because he knew he would not start immediately in Buffalo. It wasn't that he hated Buffalo or anything, he just wanted to start right off the bat.