Omar Jacobs

I am curious to see what peoples opinions of Omar Jacobs are. I wanted to go to Bowling Green so I have followed them closely throughout the years. Jacobs does not have the experience of other quarterbacks and was injured this year. He put up amazing numbers, but in a pass friendly offense against "weaker" competition. Some NFL draft guru's say he is the next McNabb while others say he is the next Cade McNown. I was wondering what the general opinion of him is around the board and where people are thinking he would be drafted. If he was there for our first third round pick, I would grab him in a heartbeat. He will take a while to develop but has the ability to throw on the run like JP and the offensive style should be a benefit to him. But with Cutler and Whitehead moving up the board, I am thinking he is gone in round 2, and we better not take a QB in round 1 or 2.

But with Cutler and Whitehead moving up the board, I am thinking he is gone in round 2, and we better not take a QB in round 1 or 2.

590366[/snapback]

In my humble opinion we shouldn't take a QB in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th rounds. A 6th or 7th fine.

We must draft for our lines on both sides of the ball and our secondary.

I am curious to see what peoples opinions of Omar Jacobs are.  I wanted to go to Bowling Green so I have followed them closely throughout the years.  Jacobs does not have the experience of other quarterbacks and was injured this year.  He put up amazing numbers, but in a pass friendly offense against "weaker" competition.  Some NFL draft guru's say he is the next McNabb while others say he is the next Cade McNown.  I was wondering what the general opinion of him is around the board and where people are thinking he would be drafted.  If he was there for our first third round pick, I would grab him in a heartbeat.  He will take a while to develop but has the ability to throw on the run like JP and the offensive style should be a benefit to him.  But with Cutler and Whitehead moving up the board, I am thinking he is gone in round 2, and we better not take a QB in round 1 or 2.

590366[/snapback]

He might have to compete with Brodie Croyle as the 4th QB taken in the draft which should place him in the early to mid part of Round 2. I could see him ending up taken by the Jets, Oakland or Detroit or Kansas City if these teams look to shore up other needs in Round 1.

I only saw him play once this year, vs. Boise State. He was pathetic. My honest opinion is that he will not make it in the NFL. He has a real quirky delivery that makes Vince Young's motion look like Dan Fouts. He also played in a spread offense that was almost exclusively shotgun and 5 wideouts. Those guys, especially when they are from mid-major schools, seem to struggle in the pros. (Exception: McNair.)

I would be appalled if the Bills drafted him.

I only saw him play once this year, vs. Boise State.  He was pathetic.  My honest opinion is that he will not make it in the NFL.  He has a real quirky delivery that makes Vince Young's motion look like Dan Fouts.  He also played in a spread offense that was almost exclusively shotgun and 5 wideouts.  Those guys, especially when they are from mid-major schools, seem to struggle in the pros.  (Exception: McNair.)

I would be appalled if the Bills drafted him.

590458[/snapback]

Omar played in the MAC where a certain QB that's playing for the Steelers now played. Not to mention the same conference as Leftwhich, Pennington and a guy who came on as a rookie late last season named Charlie Frye. I'm not saying I'd take Jacobs as a Bills fan but I wouldn't be putting the MAC down.

Omar played in the MAC where a certain QB that's playing for the Steelers now played. Not to mention the same conference as Leftwhich, Pennington and a guy who came on as a rookie late last season named Charlie Frye. I'm not saying I'd take Jacobs as a Bills fan but I wouldn't be putting the MAC down.

590467[/snapback]

No doubt, the MAC is solid. Big Ben is as good as anyone. Leftwich and Penny, bah! They've never gotten it done. But they are good enough to be NFL starting QBs. Charlie Frye, I know he had some good games, but I can't really comment because I haven't really seen him in pro or college.

I stated up front that I only saw Omar play once, but he was far from impressive. He looked like a below-average QB for a decent mid-major team. I'm not putting down the MAC, there's talent to be found there. But lets not even begin to pretend that the athletes are on the same level as the major five conferences.

His throws looked awkward, inaccurate, and no touch. Maybe I saw his worst game ever, but I wouldn't risk a pick on him based on my limited knowledge of him.

No doubt, the MAC is solid.  Big Ben is as good as anyone.  Leftwich and Penny, bah!  They've never gotten it done.  But they are good enough to be NFL starting QBs.  Charlie Frye, I know he had some good games, but I can't really comment because I haven't really seen him in pro or college.

I stated up front that I only saw Omar play once, but he was far from impressive.  He looked like a below-average QB for a decent mid-major team.  I'm not putting down the MAC, there's talent to be found there.  But lets not even begin to pretend that the athletes are on the same level as the major five conferences. 

His throws looked awkward, inaccurate, and no touch.  Maybe I saw his worst game ever, but I wouldn't risk a pick on him based on my limited knowledge of him.

590486[/snapback]

I know one can't measure a player purely on stats but any QB that can put up 71 TDs and only 11 INTs in his career playing Division 1A football deserves a shot in the NFL.

I know one can't measure a player purely on stats but any QB that can put up 71 TDs and only 11 INTs in his career playing Division 1A football deserves a shot in the NFL.

590493[/snapback]

If he is there in the 4th round, maybe, but he should be long gone by them.

I know one can't measure a player purely on stats but any QB that can put up 41 TDs and only 4 INTs in one full season on the NCAA Division 1A (that's what Jacobs did the year before last) level definately has a shot at making the NFL.

590493[/snapback]

The announcers were all over that stat in the game I was watching. I was mindblown as I watched him play because, and I hate to beat this to death, but he looked horrible. It was on the blue turf, but Boise is no defensive powerhouse. Watching that one game, I would've said that there's no way that stat was true. Maybe he was just off.

The announcers were all over that stat in the game I was watching.  I was mindblown as I watched him play because, and I hate to beat this to death, but he looked horrible.  It was on the blue turf, but Boise is no defensive powerhouse.  Watching that one game, I would've said that there's no way that stat was true.  Maybe he was just off.

590504[/snapback]

Actually his stats to that point of the start of that game were 65 TDs to 9 INTs! Though to that point of his career that was his worse college game (he's worst actually was against none other than the Universty at Buffalo). Though in reviewing the game recap you saw from ESPN it looks his defense didn't help him early as was playing from behind most of the game which is never a good situation for a QB. I respect what you saw but it sounds like you caught him on an off day.

I am curious to see what peoples opinions of Omar Jacobs are.  I wanted to go to Bowling Green so I have followed them closely throughout the years.  Jacobs does not have the experience of other quarterbacks and was injured this year.  He put up amazing numbers, but in a pass friendly offense against "weaker" competition.  Some NFL draft guru's say he is the next McNabb while others say he is the next Cade McNown.  I was wondering what the general opinion of him is around the board and where people are thinking he would be drafted.  If he was there for our first third round pick, I would grab him in a heartbeat.  He will take a while to develop but has the ability to throw on the run like JP and the offensive style should be a benefit to him.  But with Cutler and Whitehead moving up the board, I am thinking he is gone in round 2, and we better not take a QB in round 1 or 2.

590366[/snapback]

He is a stud waiting to happen. He might go late in the first round after he starts to work out. Cutler can not take pressure at all. He hides when the pass rush gets near him. Whitehurst is even worse. This kid is raw as hell but has the best upside out of all the QB's in this draft except for Leinart.