Suspense movies, thrillers, horror flicks

Memento was excellent. I was thinking more of a film that follows along familiar plot devices of a classic haunted house movie, but it turns out "the house" is "the head". Or the character's past that is haunting him or her, and not the house. Like he or she thinks there are things happening in the house but they are just memories or flashbacks to something that happened there before. Maybe there aren't any. I just assumed there were several.

590174[/snapback]

Jacob's Ladder. Not a house, though.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good one. I will have to see that again. I just rented The Others, Identity and Ju On.

590217[/snapback]

Let me know what you think of Ju On when you see it. It seems to either be a love-it or hate-it movie.

CW

"The Others" ?????

...with Nicole Kidman.  not sure if that fits your requirement.  I saw this movie awhile ago and i don't remember it exactly.  she thinks the house is haunted.....is the house haunted? yes...but she ends up actually being the ghost.

590060[/snapback]

Just watched "The Others" and then read several reviews on it. I liked it, and really liked the filmmaking and Nicole Kidman's performance, and I am not often all that knocked out by her. The last few lines in the review of it in Salon, was exactly what I was trying to find. "The haunted house inside us all." Still wondering if there is that movie out there.

There's nothing more I can or should tell you about Charles' secret, or Grace's or Mrs. Mills'. But the secret is out about Amenábar, I hope. This old-fashioned, relentlessly unshowy film, anchored in a performance that may in its eccentric way be the finest of Kidman's career, reminds us of something crucial. The true source of terror and mystery and delight in the movies (and everywhere else) is not digitized goblins or careening point-of-view shots or baroque set design but the shadowy realm of human emotions, the haunted house inside us all.

Thanks. I will check out Ju On. And will go back and edit the first post to warn people not  to read if they don't want some flicks spoiled for them.

590112[/snapback]

Oh God no. HORRIBLE movie, and the Grudge was just as bad.

Don't waste your time.

Let me know what you think of Ju On when you see it.  It seems to either be a love-it or hate-it movie.

CW

590263[/snapback]

Put me in the hate-it category. Although, I really liked the premise of the whole thing, and I kinda liked the structure of it, the non-linear messing with time. But that only works when you care about the characters, and the acting was pretty dreadful. I normally like almost all foreign flicks and even low budget ones but this was pretty bad. Just not my stuff. Couple spooky parts though, it just was a little too convoluted when I didn't care much for the people in it.

How about American Psycho?

590163[/snapback]

That sounds to be the closest to what he is looking for.

Vanilla Sky might be another one.

The novel Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (on which the movie was based) has an ending even more extreme than the movie and it's a quick read. I won't spoil it.

The novel Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (on which the movie was based) has an ending even more extreme than the movie and it's a quick read.  I won't spoil it.

590905[/snapback]

If you like fight club, get the book "Choke" also by Palahniuk. It is just as good, actually a better book.

The novel Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk (on which the movie was based) has an ending even more extreme than the movie and it's a quick read.  I won't spoil it.

590905[/snapback]

I saw American Psycho when it came out. Not sure that fits, mostly because I knew about it and that it was satiric in nature all the time. I (obviously) never got the feeling this was a real guy or real world. Good performance by Bale but I hated that movie. I always avoided Vanilla Sky but will watch it now. Thanks.

If you like fight club, get the book "Choke" also by Palahniuk.  It is just as good, actually a better book.

590919[/snapback]

I've read all of Chuck Palahniuk's books through Lullaby. Choke is probably my second favorite to FC but Lullaby is close. Invisible Monsters and Survivor were good reads as well.

I never got around to his newer ones.

Just watched "The Others" and then read several reviews on it. I liked it, and really liked the filmmaking and Nicole Kidman's performance, and I am not often all that knocked out by her. The last few lines in the review of it in Salon, was exactly what I was trying to find. "The haunted house inside us all." Still wondering if there is that movie out there.

590588[/snapback]

This old-fashioned, relentlessly unshowy film, anchored in a performance

This is what i liked about "The Others". It was great performance that wasn't played "over the top" or "showy" in any way.

another movie that fits that description (that doesn't fall into what you are looking for)...but i thought had great "down played" performances was, "In The Bedroom".

Tom Wilkinson should have won an Oscar for his performance.

i have a real appreciation for the art of acting and this was the finest acted movie i have seen in a very long time.

This is what i liked about "The Others".  It was great performance that wasn't played "over the top" or "showy" in any way.

another movie that fits that description (that doesn't fall into what you are looking for)...but i thought had great "down played" performances was, "In The Bedroom".   

Tom Wilkinson should have won an Oscar for his performance.

590952[/snapback]

Definitely. That was one of my 2-3 favorite films that year. The whole thing was great.

Definitely. That was one of my 2-3 favorite films that year. The whole thing was great.

590956[/snapback]

i saw the movie in the theatre and i honestly don't remember a movie that stands out in my mind as being better acted since.

My favorite haunted house movie is House. Although I don't know if the house was haunted, if it was all in the guy's head, or both. But a great movie, in an Army of Darkness kind of way.

Harold: Great to have a new neighbor. The woman that lived here before you was nuts. Biggest b***h under the sun. Just a senile old hag really. Wouldnt be surprised if someone got fed up and offed her. Know what I mean?

Roger: She was my aunt.

Harold: Heart of gold though..just a saint really..and such a beautiful woman for her age.

I'm insulted :doh:

Try Session 9, and the IMDB recommendations - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0261983/recommendations from Session 9.

I agree with germ boy - Jacob's Ladder is very effective for what you're looking to do.

Someone recommended Daddy Day Care, but I haven't seen it to vouch for the fear factor.

591854[/snapback]

I PM'd you. I just saw Abre Los Ojos, that Vanilla Sky was a remake of. That was pretty darn good but got too kooky for me at the end. I liked it a lot up until the last ten minutes. That director, however, is terrific. The Sea Inside and The Others were both really good, as was this for the most part. And he's like 30 years old or something.